Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: vintage hair pomade tins

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Do you have any vintage hair pomade/grease/dressing tins or bottles that you want to get rid of? Please let me know! Will offer fair price.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
I remember seeing a couple at this one antique store I go to. IIRC, most were under $5. How many were you wanting?

Ooooh! I would probably take whatever they have, unless there are like 50 billion of them. I'm specifically looking for ones in tins - 20s-50s. They're for shadow boxes and there will be space to fill up. The only tin I have so far is a sample size Sweet Georgia Brown tin.

If you get a chance to take a look, it'd be most appreciated. I'm also willing to send you some surprise vintage items to make it worth your while.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I'll be downtown tomorrow when I go to vote, so I'll check & see what they have. I'll take along a notebook & write down the names & such--I'm always afraid to yank out my camera & start snapping pictures of the stuff I see, but I'm tempted! lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
I'll be downtown tomorrow when I go to vote, so I'll check & see what they have. I'll take along a notebook & write down the names & such--I'm always afraid to yank out my camera & start snapping pictures of the stuff I see, but I'm tempted! lol

Thanks! I'm sure they won't care too much. I take pics of stuff all the time :)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I went and found ZERO! The booth that I remembered having tins & such had tins and bottles for everything except hair goo. They had bear's grease, and talc, and poison ivy medicine, and spices, and 1 tin of Joe Louis pomade that was in this odd little folding glass & metal shaving mirror-kit, and it didn't have a price. I'll keep checking around--is there anything else you want? I can find things cheap--but I am on a budget & have to let so much go by.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
I went and found ZERO! The booth that I remembered having tins & such had tins and bottles for everything except hair goo. They had bear's grease, and talc, and poison ivy medicine, and spices, and 1 tin of Joe Louis pomade that was in this odd little folding glass & metal shaving mirror-kit, and it didn't have a price. I'll keep checking around--is there anything else you want? I can find things cheap--but I am on a budget & have to let so much go by.

Oh well. Thanks so much for the offer - I'm pretty much just looking for the tins at this point. I really do appreciate you taking the time to check! Just keep me in mind if you see any in the future :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Miss Brill, if you ever see an old bottle for Bay Rum after shave or cologne, keep me in mind? (You don't know me, so that's a lot to ask, I know -- maybe you could just get the info about how I could purchase it online or something.)

I use the stuff but it comes in a cheezy plastic bottle, and I'd love to be able to transfer it to a vintage container.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
I use the stuff but it comes in a cheezy plastic bottle, and I'd love to be able to transfer it to a vintage container.

FYI, Vermont Country Store carries several kinds that come in glass bottles:

f00232_dt.jpg

f01994_dt.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I'd seen that Domnica elsewhere and it's kind of sharp-looking.

But I like the idea of a vintage bottle, if I can find one.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Oh well. Thanks so much for the offer - I'm pretty much just looking for the tins at this point. I really do appreciate you taking the time to check! Just keep me in mind if you see any in the future :)

Are you in the market for an antique wheelchair? They had a real cute wooden one there & they had it marked down to $100. lol Someone needs to buy it!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, so help me out here. I just took a whole stash of antique bottles from our landfill and put them out in the rain to wash off some old dirt. I think they are all old alcohol bottles, but what do the old hair pomade bottles look like and what are some names?

worthlesswithoutpics

Cheers-

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill said:
I looked up the Joe Louis Pomade tins & they are worth $60-$200, so if you find any of them, I'd get them out of the rain.

Everything in the rain is glass bottles with dirt. Thanks for the tip though!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
but what do the old hair pomade bottles look like and what are some names?

worthlesswithoutpics

Oh jeez, I'm such a dolt!

Hair pomade/oil/tonics have been popular since the 19th century, though the "pomade" or "grease" variety because more popular after the turn of the century. Hair pomade (that having the consistency of Vaseline) was usually called "hair dressing" and sometimes "solidified brillantine" and was used exclusively by Black men and women until the 1950s, when rock and roll culture started controversially adopting black music, clothing and yes, hair products :)

Few brands that were popular then are still around today: Dixie Peach, Sweet Georgia Brown, Murray's, Nu Nile (what the King reportedly used) and Royal Crown (and maybe one or two others). They usually come in a small tin, sometimes in a glass jar, and sometimes in a paper container with a metal lid and bottom. This allowed the container to be heated on the stove (it soaks into coarse hair more easily that way) and removed without burning your hands.

The only one I have so far, a Sweet Georgia Brown sample tin. These seem to be all over Ebay. My fella uses this brand.
sgb.jpg

quinine.jpg

nuglo.jpg

murrays.jpg

tuxedo.jpg

dixiepeach.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, sometimes it comes in rectangular tins:
queen.jpg

supree.jpg

The only asian (as opposed to black) brand I've seen:
wang.jpg

Also sometimes comes in bottles like this, though I'm more interested in the tins for the "solidified brillantine" type.
watkinsbottle.jpg

Vintage Betty

Thanks for the history lesson and pics KittyT. I took a look at the bottles that I have, and they are all alcohol or standard beauty products. There are a couple (unmarked) bottles with some letters and numbers, but I don't think they are anything special, with the exception of one of them being colbalt blue in color.

~Sorry!~

Vintage Betty

flat-top

Here's some of my collection:
IMG_1032.jpg

I found many of these on Ebay, many digging through antique shops. I've added more since this pic was taken. The Lucky Tiger ones are my fave. I met the current CEO of Lucky Tiger a few years ago, and apparently I have some rare items that he's never even seen!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
Here's some of my collection:
IMG_1032.jpg

I found many of these on Ebay, many digging through antique shops. I've added more since this pic was taken. The Lucky Tiger ones are my fave. I met the current CEO of Lucky Tiger a few years ago, and apparently I have some rare items that he's never even seen!

Beautiful! There's a jar of that Max Factor Crew Cut on ebay right now that I'm mulling over. Lovely jar of Dixie Peach you have there too.

I check ebay daily for this stuff, but unfortunately, many of them go for prices higher than I'm willing to pay. C'est la vie, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland