Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War time photos.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I thought I'd share these with you fine folks here in WWII.

These are some photos that My Grandfather took wile serving the 8th in England. I believe these are from about 1944 or so.

The band is the Miller band of the AAF and I'll post some more later. These photos have never been published in any book! These are the fist time you'll see these. Also, I'd like it if these stay here on the lounge and not end up on any other web site because I'd like to keep them personal, they were taken by my grand father.;)

Enjoy,

=WR=

aaf19444copy0wl.jpg

aaf19442copy8yo.jpg

aaf19449cq.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Terrific photos, Rob!

But it's going to be a little difficult to control where else they end up since they can just be cut and copied on the Windows clipboard. If you DON'T want unauthorized use, you might pull them into a paint program and add a little copyright information at the bottom. -- Fred

Wild Root

Gone Home
You know, I don't know for sure. But, I'll tell you this and maybe you could figure it out and tell me. My Grandfather was with the 8th in England. So, I know I should know more about the 8th but, I'm some what rusty.

So, if you know where the 8th was based at, then you'll have the answer to your question. The 8th was host to most of Glenn's concerts before the band prepared to bring it to the front line in France (when Glenn vanished on Dec. 14 1944)

So, yeah, let me know what you find out.;)

=WR=

locobuster

New in Town
You mean the 8th Air Force, correct? If so it'll be tough to narrow down as there were 8th AF bases all over the UK during the war and the band gave concerts at many of them. I was hoping maybe those were taken at King's Cliffe, which was where the band's last airfield hangar performance with Miller conducting took place, on 3 October, 1944. In 1999 a monument commemorating this concert was placed at the former site of the hangar by K.S.R. International Ltd.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yep, there's only one mighty 8th! So, there were many bases eh? Figures :rolleyes: It would have been great to see a date on the back of the photo! My grandfather didn't date them darn it! Well, I may run a search and find out what base he was stationed at. That will be a big help.

=WR=

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is not original but it is rarely seen. This is one of the 4th Fighter Group's top aces, Don Gentile. Since he is pictured with a young British lady and not his trusty plane, Shangri-La it isn't well known
adc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner