Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ward Cleaver's Golden Era

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I grew up watching Leave It to Beaver reruns every afternoon after school (I was around but too young to have watched --or remembered, at least -- it when it first aired).

After years of not watching the show, I've been watching it again on Antenna TV (which I didn't even know we got in NYC), and I occasionally find myself intrigued when Ward reminisces about his youth. Not the "Why, in my day, we had it rough; my father would never have put up with blah blah blah" that he often indulges in, but the very specific cultural references.

For instance, in one episode, June asks Ward if he ever fought with his pals over a girl, and Ward responds, "No, we were too busy playing miniature golf."

I wouldn't have understood that line at all when I was a kid. I mean, I knew what miniature golf was, of course, but I didn't know then that miniature golf was a huge national craze in the 1920s. I always thought of it as a 1950s thing, but there were many more courses in the 1920s and '30s than there were in the 1950s and '60s. Nice touch there by the LItB writers.

And in an episode I watched yesterday, Wally was suddenly sporting a crazy hairdo (the Jelly Roll), and June was aghast, feeling strongly that she and Ward should insist that Wally return to his usual, more conservative cut.

Ward, though, understood that Wally just trying to fit in with the other kids who had similarly kooky 'dos, that it was just a matter of personal expression for eldest son. Ward insisted that Wally would lose interest in that look in short order if they just didn't make a fuss.

And Ward revealed to June that in his youth, the fad for young men was dirty corduroys -- the dirtier, the better, he said -- and crisp white shirts.

I'd never heard of that fad, but a little Googling reveals that Ward (or, rather, the show's writers) weren't making that detail up. Dirty cords were indeed a fad in the early '30s.

Anyone else remember such a reminiscence from Ward or another 1950s or '60s sitcom parent?

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
No, but it's FASKINATIN'. I remember on the Honeymooners when Ralph would dress up with his old youthful duds, and they were definitely reminiscent of the 20s, with white pants and jazzy striped blazer, and I think a boater and a ukulele.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Another example of Ward reminiscing about the good old days on the Leave It to Beaver I watched today.

Beaver, Whitey and Richard have all purchased sweatshirts with garish paintings of monsters on the front of them (Beaver's features a Martian with three eyes). Ward and June are nonplussed when Beaver arrives home wearing the shirt, and they send Beaver upstairs to wash up for supper.

Ward remarks, "Well, isn't that silly -- throwing money away on something like that?"

June responds, "Reminds me of a few years back."

Ward: "Hmm...?"

June: "When you used to call on me in your yellow rain slicker with all those witty sayings written on the back -- 'Oh, you nasty man' and 'Wanna buy a duck?'"

Ward: "Well, at least I didn't have a crush on Edgar Bergen."

I know that guys used to write catch phrases and other sayings on their flivvers, but I didn't know they did so on rain slickers (maybe Ward came up with that variation on his own).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That pinpoints Ward as a high school boy in the mid-thirties -- the slicker fad was a copycat of the college fad of decorating canvas beer jackets with humorous slogans and drawings. Ward obviously wasn't the beer-jacket type. The specific sayings June remembers were catchphrases associated with Joe Penner, which would pinpoint the exact year to 1934, when every schoolkid in America was Penner-mad. On the other hand, Edgar Bergen became a fad in 1937, so it's possible Ward was one of these types who's always a few years behind popular culture.

In the twenties, it was common to decorate athletic sweatshirts with slogans and cartoons.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Another example of Ward reminiscing about the good old days on the Leave It to Beaver I watched today.

Beaver, Whitey and Richard have all purchased sweatshirts with garish paintings of monsters on the front of them (Beaver's features a Martian with three eyes). Ward and June are nonplussed when Beaver arrives home wearing the shirt, and they send Beaver upstairs to wash up for supper.

Ward remarks, "Well, isn't that silly -- throwing money away on something like that?"

June responds, "Reminds me of a few years back."

Ward: "Hmm...?"

June: "When you used to call on me in your yellow rain slicker with all those witty sayings written on the back -- 'Oh, you nasty man' and 'Wanna buy a duck?'"

Ward: "Well, at least I didn't have a crush on Edgar Bergen."

I know that guys used to write catch phrases and other sayings on their flivvers, but I didn't know they did so on rain slickers (maybe Ward came up with that variation on his own).

The monster shirts are still available. They were in vogue from 1957 or 58 to 1964 now they have come back. There is a whole lowbrow art sub culture (they call it that). The rain slicker thing was from the twenties, supposedly worn with galoshes, unbuckled.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That pinpoints Ward as a high school boy in the mid-thirties -- the slicker fad was a copycat of the college fad of decorating canvas beer jackets with humorous slogans and drawings. Ward obviously wasn't the beer-jacket type. The specific sayings June remembers were catchphrases associated with Joe Penner, which would pinpoint the exact year to 1934, when every schoolkid in America was Penner-mad. On the other hand, Edgar Bergen became a fad in 1937, so it's possible Ward was one of these types who's always a few years behind popular culture.

Or it could just be writers' artisitic license, smooshing things from a few years apart into one discussion. That's done quite frequently.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Or it could just be writers' artisitic license, smooshing things from a few years apart into one discussion. That's done quite frequently.

That's what I was thinking, too. I doubt they're being terribly specific in their looks back.

More of Ward's reminisces. Ward and June have received a letter informing them that the school district is extending school bus service as far as their neighborhood, so Beaver won't be walking to school any more.

June's happy about it, but Ward's got reservations.

June: Ward, that's wonderful. We won't have to worry about him fooling around on the way to school anymore.

Ward: No, I suppose not. But I always thought of walking to school as one of childhood's most cherished memories. Well, I supposed it has to be swept away, along with corduroy knickers and the felt beanie.

June: Corduroy knickers??

Ward: Well, sure, don't you remember, dear? When you walked, they whistled.

June: I went to a girls school.​

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
When married couples "discuss" things they don't have to be things that happened at exactly the same time.

"I don't like the way you are looking at that girl"

"Well I didn't like the way you danced with that big Swede at the Knights of Columbus dance 3 years ago"

"You and your yellow rain slicker"

"At least I never had a crush on Edgar Bergen"

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
This chapter of Ward Cleaver's Golden Age doesn't involve Ward; it's a conversation between June and Wally, who's planning to attend State University in the fall and is considering pledging a fraternity.

Wally: Say Mom, y'know I was wondering, next fall when I go up to State, if I should join a fraternity.

June: Well, that's nothing you have to decide right away.

W. Yeah. I guess some of 'em are kind of crazy. You know, I read where some of the guys used to eat goldfish.

June: Yes, but that was before I went to college. Our badge of rebellion was wearing dirty saddle shoes.

Wally: Yeah, you know, I read where college guys are spinning around in clothes dryers now. I guess they've come a long way, huh, Mom?

June: I guess so.

Sheesh, it seems to have been all about the soiled clothes in the '30s -- dirty corduroys, dirty saddle shoes.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
In the episode of Leave It to Beaver I watched most recently, June was worried because Beaver hadn't returned from the grocery store, where he was to pick up some things for June.

June: Your son didn't show up at the market. He was going to pick up Larry and then he was going to go and do my shopping and that was almost two hours ago.

Ward: Well, two boys on a Saturday morning can find a lot of delightful diversions. I remember when I was a kid, I used to fool around watching the milk man feed his horse or the water wagon wet down the dirt streets.

June: Well, that's fine, dear, but this is the twentieth century.

I like it when June gets a little sassy.

In the episode of Leave It to Beaver I watched most recently, June was worried because Beaver hadn't returned from the grocery store, where he was to pick up some things for June.
June: Your son didn't show up at the market. He was going to pick up Larry and then he was going to go and do my shopping and that was almost two hours ago.

Ward: Well, two boys on a Saturday morning can find a lot of delightful diversions. I remember when I was a kid, I used to fool around watching the milk man feed his horse or the water wagon wet down the dirt streets.

June: Well, that's fine, dear, but this is the twentieth century.

I like it when June gets a little sassy.

lol lol lol

In all seriousness though, I miss a show on TV that had the wisdom and cohesiveness of a show like that. It was a good example of the day. The father listened and gave good advice. The mother did as well. The children screwed up and learned from their mistakes and they remained a happy family.

Going forward 40 years we have Married with Children---the total antithesis. :rolleyes::eusa_doh:

Effingham

A-List Customer
Dirtiest phrase on fifties TV:

"Ward, weren't you a little hard on the beaver last night?"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Alternate version:

"Ward, you need to go upstairs and chew out the Beaver right away!"

Seriously, though, I've been enjoying the heck out of this thread. The insights -- cultural and historical -- are fascinating. I loved that show as a kid, and always fantasized about that as my life. Part of it was that I grew up (for a while) in small-town Indiana in the 60s, so there was that. Also my dad died when I was six, so I kind of took to Ward as an idealized image of a dad. <sniff> (Last week would have been my dad's 100th birthday -- but he only made it to 55.)

Thanks, Mr. Beaumont, for having been such a good stand-in for me. :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I recently blogged about the use of "keen" as a slang word in the twenties, and wouldn't you know it, it came up in a scene on Leave It to Beaver this evening.

The Cleaver family is sitting around the breakfast table, discussing the fact that Wally and Eddie Haskell have been invited to join an exclusive social club called The Barons at his high school.

Ward: Well, do they seem like a nice bunch of fellows?

Wally: Gee, I don't know, Dad. Eddie says they're the craziest.

June: The craziest?

Wally: Oh, that doesn't mean they're squirrelly or anything, Mom. It just means they're real cool guys.

Ward: You know, when I was a boy, when we said crazy, we meant crazy.

June: How backward.

Beaver: Boy, Mom, I'll bet in those days, you said something like "swell" or something, huh, Mom?

June: Well, no ... (thinking it over) ... I think we said "Keen!"

Beaver: Keen?? They don't even use that on Dobie Gillis anymore!

If you'd like to read my further musings on the word "Keen," you'll find them here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael