Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm Weather/Beach Attire (Vintage)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Fedora Loungers,

I was just wondering if anyone (hopefully the gallant Marc Chevalier and resident Sartorial Consultant Matt Deckard are listening too...) would happen to know what warm weather/beach attire could be considered when thinking primarily from a vintage standpoint. I am leaving for the Bahamas on Thursday and have no warm weather clothes and am thinking that since I'm working on putting together a casual look, perhaps I could kill two birds with one stone. Does anyone have any suggestions for what this type of attire would entail?

Thank you ahead of time.

Yours,

FedoraGent

P.S. A Dobbs Optimo has already been purchased and is sitting along with my Puerto Fino Felt Hats in our Vintage Samsonite Hat Box...

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Dinner wear for summer/resort

sbshawldjcopy5hv.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please forgive me if I sound a little forward, but did some of you find those vintage ads a little...oh...emasculate? Heh, I thought they were a bit suggestive at times. I suppose that's what I get for possessing an overly active imagination.

So while we're on the topic of these summer clothes, what is honestly the best shot for cool, comfortable fabric? Should I be looking for a pair of linen pants or cotton shorts? And what role would silk pants play?

If you respond (please do!) keep in mind I'm living in Iowa where our typical summers are around 95F with avg humidity of 85-100%. It gets rather hot here.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Silk actually wears very warm, so it's not really a summer fabric. It just feels nice with evening wear, I suppose.

My favorite is linen for anything summer-related...when a cool breeze comes along, it feels like you're wearing nothing. Some people can't cope with the wrinkling, though, so it may not work for you. A pair of linen slacks and a few linen shirts in solids and stripes would come in handy.

Alot of people recommend wool flannel for the summer/yachting wear, but I find that it is a little hot. I wear it anyway, as one of my favorite orphaned DB navy jackets is wool flannel. It just means more work for my hanky.

If you feel tempted to wear just a t-shirt, I've always wanted to just get one of these J. Peterman's Father of All T-Shirts

Goldfinger

The photos of the "Beach Suit" makes me of Bond. I think it is in the beginning of Goldfinger where he is staying at that famous Floridian Hotel the Fountainbleau (?) and disrupts Goldfinger's Gin game. Or is it Dr. No or Thunderball? Anyway, the Beach suit which is like a gussied up festive flightsuit or coveralls takes a set of brass ones to pull off these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace