Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warner Brothers : "Tales from the Gangster Squad"

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
While I'd support Gandolfini in the role, some of the other excellent suggestions may be better depending on Mickey's function in the film. If the story is viewed equally from both sides, then Gandolfini would be spot on, but if it's mainly presented from the LAPD's view, then they'd better off going for someone who is likeable to non-police characters on screen, but not to the audience. Now Gandolfini can sure look menacing when he wants to, but it might be that, for plot concerns, he'd come off as too sympathetic during non-violent moments. Again, this all depends on whether it's a dual-sympathy story like American Gangster, or a clear cut protagonist/antagonist deal à la The Untouchables--not to say that either film doesn't tamper like hell with the facts, which I'd just as soon The Gangster Squad didn't.

Story

I'll Lock Up
The second Gangster Squad related bomb that Fleischer dropped on me was that man about town Bryan Cranston would also be joining the cast as a rough and tumble member of the LAPD by way of Texas. Suddenly the original Triumvirate of Awesome that was the Gangster Squad cast became the Cornerstones of Awesome instead. And now that the film has such a solid foundation to build a metaphorical house on, it’s time to start picking out pretty curtains and stuff by filling out the cast further.

The big news of the day from Deadline Monowi is that grizzled, crazy actor Nick Nolte has also been cast. He will play Bill Parker, the incorruptible chief of police who takes it upon himself to form this so-called gangster squad. That sounds like a big role. Seeing as Nolte’s upcoming movie Warrior is getting rave reviews from everyone who sees it, and this sounds like the best movie ever, we could be seeing a career resurgence from the guy. And that would be okay by me; in my eyes Nolte is one of our well-worn national treasures.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/nick-nolte-emma-stone-the-gangster-squad.php

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Here's a link to a Facebook album that contains photos of the Gangster Squad shoot. Lots of lovely vintage cars!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2531577495398.150563.1432335358&type=1
393553_2838026436430_1432335358_3204573_123859509_n.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I think James Gandolfini is too tall, though he does bear a close resemblance to Mickey Cohen. The real life L.A. crime boss was of much shorter stature (5' 5").

Mickey Cohen's small stature was so notable that the LA scandal rags' monicker for his was "The Dapper Little Gent"

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
Cartoon?

The last few seconds of the trailer seem like a high watermark of cliche' and overkill to me.

The Rap music helped me make up my mind...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner