Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warner Theater - Worcester, MA

Louie

Familiar Face
Here a hidden gem in my city, the Warner Theatre on the campus of Worcester Academy. The theater was a gift to the Academy from Warner Brothers President Harry Warner in memory of his son Lewis (Worcester Academy Class of 1928). It is the Lewis J. Warner Theatre and seats about 1,600. I don't believe film is projected there, but when I went projectors were still in place (although I couldn't access the booth).
DSCF3955.jpg

DSCF3957.jpg

DSCF3960.jpg

DSCF3959.jpg

DSCF3961.jpg

DSCF3965.jpg

DSCF3968.jpg

DSCF3969.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Flies?

That certainly is a magnificent edifice. If your first shot was just a little wider I could see if the building has fly space. It has a nice big stage, and fly space above the stage would make it possible to put on major stage shows as well as music and film. It also looks like the from of the stage is removable. Does it go down and become an orchestra pit? It would seem to me that it was primarily designed as a music hall. Regardless, it's nice to see theaters like this surviving.
There was a documentary about Warner Bros recently on PBS. As I recall Lewis was a very talented and inspired young man, who died tragically in his early twenties.

Louie

Familiar Face
Don't know if it was built as a performance theater, but it was designed by theater architect Drew Eberson. It was opened in 1932 and the orchestra pit may have been there orignally but removed during subsequent restorations.

Another picture:

Warner-1L.gif

Flivver

Practically Family
It certainly is well hidden! I've lived in Worcester my whole life and never knew about this.

I definetly need to go have a look. My cousin's son is a student at Worcester Academy so I'm sure he'll know about it.

Thanks *so* much for posting this.

Louie

Familiar Face
InspectorMorse said:
Wonderful! thanks for sharing! what do they do with it now?

They have stage shows there and I believe lectures. Last time I was inside was a few years back, The Mass Bay Film Festival showed Chaplin's "The Gold Rush".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo