Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warning for those w/ small kids

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Whoa! Many thanks! My husband loves the stuff while I am not a big fan. I am sure he will be more careful now. Yikes!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't know that

My hubby and my in-laws are of the outspoken opinion that hand-sanitzers and indeed hand washing is evil and causes illness. Bathing more than once or twice a week and use of deodorants are pooh-poohed also.
I'm sorry if anyone is eating whilst reading this.
No surprise, we have no children to guzzle any hand-sanitizer that I may have around.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I never have liked that stuff. Sure, it kills the germs but it doesn’t get the dirt off. Anyway, a certain amount of germs are good for you. It helps keep your immune system built up. If you go around sterilizing everything all the time when you do come in contact with germs you’ll end up getting twice as sick.

My advice; stick with good old soap and water (and not that antibacterial stuff, the regular kind). And, as moms have known for years, plain soap will clean the dirty words right out of your kid’s mouth without any adverse side effects.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
That's weird. You might as well carry around handy wipes soaked in everclear.:p I don't think we ever used it, and now she's almost six and past that "putting everything in her mouth" stage. But I am going to forward this to some friends. Thanks!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Serial Hero said:
a certain amount of germs are good for you. It helps keep your immune system built up. If you go around sterilizing everything all the time when you do come in contact with germs you’ll end up getting twice as sick.
This is true.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Serial Hero said:
I never have liked that stuff. Sure, it kills the germs but it doesn’t get the dirt off. Anyway, a certain amount of germs are good for you. It helps keep your immune system built up. If you go around sterilizing everything all the time when you do come in contact with germs you’ll end up getting twice as sick.

My advice; stick with good old soap and water (and not that antibacterial stuff, the regular kind). And, as moms have known for years, plain soap will clean the dirty words right out of your kid’s mouth without any adverse side effects.

Very true...keeps your immune system strong, and it also prevents "superbugs" -- stronger germs that have built up a resistance to such products. It has been proven many times that the act of washing and rubbing your hands together is just as effective as using antibacterial products anyway.

Daisy Buchanan

Wow, this is a scary thing. I will be passing this on to my sister who uses the stuff on my 2 year old nephew constantly, and my nephew will eat anything!!!
I use hand sanitizer all the time. Having an autoimmune disease and being on immunosupressants I am susceptible to catching anything. So, I've gotta be extra careful if I want to stay healthy. But, I will make sure to leave my bottle out of the reach of children...

Foofoogal said:
The same with perfumes and colognes.
When my sister was 5 she drank about 1/4 of a small bottle of my Mom's perfume. She was rushed to the ER, had to have her stomach pumped, and was in the hospital for a few days. Very dangerous stuff...

Daisy Buchanan

jamespowers said:
Isn't that a teething remedy? ;) :p
Just stick his binky in some whiskey or wine! Every Jewish family I know does this.

Just to be clear, the act of rubbing your hands together under water does not clean your hands. You must use soap, be it anti-bacterial or plain ole' ivory. It has been proven that running ones hands under water without some sort of saop does not actually clean your hands....
Also, I do agree that there are some good bacterias out there. But, anti-bacterial products do not kill 100% of germs. Even though the bottle says it kills 99.9% of germs, that .1% is actually a huge number in the case of tiny little bacteria. So believe me, when you use the stuff, you aren't killing everything and making yourself susceptible to super bugs. (Sorry this is the science major coming out in me:()

Dr Doran

Yikes, I'm glad I just stumbled across this thread. 'Nika has just started tasting everything. Today she tasted a plastic sandy shovel in a public sandbox. She didn't like that one. I am reluctant to remove everything from her; I figure a general germ level is good, and I read that children from dirty houses get fewer allergies (that means she'll have none). We don't keep sanitizer but there are plenty of alcohol based things around. Ick.

Sunny

One Too Many
Doran said:
Yikes, I'm glad I just stumbled across this thread. 'Nika has just started tasting everything. Today she tasted a plastic sandy shovel in a public sandbox. She didn't like that one. I am reluctant to remove everything from her; I figure a general germ level is good, and I read that children from dirty houses get fewer allergies (that means she'll have none). We don't keep sanitizer but there are plenty of alcohol based things around. Ick.

Hehe, she sounds a little like my youngest brother. You know the joke about cleaning the pacifier (we call it a "plug") when the kid drops it on the ground?

First child: Sterilize it with boiling water before giving it back.
Second child: Wash it off with hot soap and water.
Third child: Stick it under the faucet - hot, cold, whatever comes out.
Fourth child: Wipe it on your pants and stick it back in.

Yep, I have three brothers. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass