Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing Fur

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering if any of you ladies knew how to go about washing fur?

I recently purchased a vintage sweater with a large fur collar, & whilst it's in amazing condition, it has a bit of a dusty smell to it. I can't find any dry cleaners which will clean it for me either. Any tips?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Fuller's Earth powder will help if it is greasy from wear but I'm not too sure about the smell?

You can also use bran warmed in the oven, not too hot, to clean fur up.

Actually, if anyone has a really good tip for getting rid of that storage smell from fur, please let us know. I have tried a few things on a coat I have but nothing seems to have done much good.

leaette

A-List Customer
try this: put it in a zippered garment bag with a box of that baking powder for refridgerators. the box that you tear off the sides and there is a mesh on the sides of the box.
put one of those in the bag at the bottom. also, put in some balled up sheets of newspaper. i've heard that newspaper soaks up smells.
i have one box of the powder and newspaper in all of my old suitcases to keep them as fresh as possible.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A little more info on the subject of furs from the Aunt Daisy household hints book.

FURS, TO STORE

Make a bag of new unbleached calico. The lime in the calico keeps moths away. Sprinkle moth crystals in the bag. Never hang furs in the sun, as sun perishes the pelt. Air furs in a windy but shady place. Newspaper also discourages moths.

FUR COLLARS, TO CLEAN

1. Heat bran until the hand can only just bear it, then rub it well into soiled and greasy fur. Afterwards beat the fur with a light stick to remove it.
2. For white fur specially, rub in plenty of powdered magnesia, and wrap in a pillow case for some days. Then shake well and beat lightly.

Hope this might be helpful for those with furs.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks Miss Sis, I bought a cashmere sweater with a mink collar recently that I haven't worn or cleaned yet so those tips will come in handy. I may have to take the collar off though I think.

I have my other fur wrapped in acid free tissue and get it out to air 2-3 times during the summer when it's not being worn. I have a lovely Sapphire Mink coming my way soon with a silk velvet lining so I'm hoping that bran will work to clean that one too.

Just one question - Where do you get magnesia from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou