Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Old Movies - At Work!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Here's a neat trick for anyone with a newish Mac computer, with the latest version of the OS installed.
The Dashboard program included with your machine overlays a second desktop over the first, with items floating above whatever it is you're currently working on. This second desktop is brought up with a keystroke. These items are called "Widgets," and there are hundreds of widgets you can download and play with: instant weather, stock prices, a dictionary, translation, local traffic reports, flight tracking, package tracking, films playng in your area, lyrics of the current song playing in iTunes, etc. On and on.
One of the newer widgets is called "Archive Classic Movies." It streams full-motion video of old public domain golden era films to your computer. The selection changes every Monday. Current Options include "Meet John Doe," "Dick Tracy #3," (serial) and others.
Nifty parlor trick, and since you can call it up and dismiss it with a single key, it holds the opportunity to get you discharged for goofing off, you sorry bum!.
But think, you can watch an old film, snap a still of a great hat, dismiss the film, bring up Fedoralounge, post the pic for all to see, and get back to your movie. When the boss appears *click*! You're up to your eyeballs in spreadsheets.
Just don't let him or her see the drool puddle on your desk.
Of course, I'm telling you this so I can see how many of my employees are going to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo