Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wax Seals

Talbot

One Too Many
skbellis said:
A number of years ago I used wax seals quite a bit with my correspondence. I must admit though, that very few of the seals sent through the traditional US Mail survived. I ended up just using them on hand delivered items.

Cheers,

Scott

Unfortunately this is because of modern automatic sortation. Seals look good, but they may not survive the rigours of being sorted and stacked against other envelopes at 30,000+ items per hour. Its impressive to watch, but I would never put a letter with a wax seal in the post due to the thickness of the seal.

Having said that, hand delivered mail, and mail sent to local addresses should fair well as it is sorted the old fashioned way by hand, at least down under.

Talbot

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Be that as it may, I would still feel a bit improper using that as a seal. I wonder if I could find a seal with the emblem of North Carolina. If that fails, I will use my initials.

Max Flash said:
You are right not to use a heraldic image you are not entitled to, although the fleur de lis is a fairly common motif now. I don't think one would assume you were trying to pass yourself off as a member of French royalty (which is, of course, a non-existent institution now) if you used it to seal your letters. Other motifs you could use are initials, town or country insignia or devise your own.

seres

A-List Customer
Talbot said:
Unfortunately this is because of modern automatic sortation. Seals look good, but they may not survive the rigours of being sorted and stacked against other envelopes at 30,000+ items per hour. Its impressive to watch, but I would never put a letter with a wax seal in the post due to the thickness of the seal.......
At one time you could pay extra at the Post Office for "hand sorting", which would minimize damage to the wax seal. Perhaps that is still available?

seres

A-List Customer
cufflinkmaniac said:
......I wonder if I could find a seal with the emblem of North Carolina. If that fails, I will use my initials.
Dexter (http://www.familysealrings.com/) could make any seal you wish, but be prepared to pay serious $$$. The best source I've found is Ebay, but you may have to wait to find the right initials.

LordBest

Practically Family
Well, technically the Monarchy of France exists in pretense, so using their royal seal would be in somewhat poor taste even if they are not sovereign. But only if you care about such things. A monogram is the safer way to go by far, or some allegorical theme.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Yes, Louis Alphonse du Bourbon may have some objections to my using his seal.

LordBest said:
Well, technically the Monarchy of France exists in pretense, so using their royal seal would be in somewhat poor taste even if they are not sovereign. But only if you care about such things. A monogram is the safer way to go by far, or some allegorical theme.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I don't have a vintage wax seal but I got one custom made with my initials and a crescent moon (because my last name is moon) I haven't used it as much as I'd like to but it is still neat.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
cufflinkmaniac said:
Yes, Louis Alphonse du Bourbon may have some objections to my using his seal.

Of course, you can legitimately claim that Louis Alphonse, as a pretender, has no legal right to the Fleur de Lis motif. He has no right to any seal of the King of France has he has not been crowned as such.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I am unsure if a ring with a seal is involved,but the actor Christopher Lee has the right to bear the coat of arms of the holy roman empire.His ancestors on his mothers side,who are called the Carandini Family,were granted the honour by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Really? That's pretty cool. Exactly how does one get that sort of honor? Being able to use the Coat of Arms of the Holy Roman Empire????

I do enjoy Christopher Lee's acting...

Barbigirl

Practically Family
often

I use wax seals quite often. I use mine on love letter and letter to family members. Once you have practiced a bit they are quite easy and mailing them is no big deal. The only issue I had once was trying to leaving with a UPSO employee she told me it needed more postage, so I took it outside and dropped it in the mailbox. No problem.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Durable Faux Sealing Wax

seres said:
At one time you could pay extra at the Post Office for "hand sorting", which would minimize damage to the wax seal. Perhaps that is still available?

There are alternatives to traditional wax seals. Pendemonium has a "faux" sealing wax that is applied with a mini glue gun. They're supposed to be quite durable. http://www.pendemonium.com/ Just go to Stationary, then to Sealing Wax and Seals. and there it is.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Highlander said:
Really? That's pretty cool. Exactly how does one get that sort of honor? Being able to use the Coat of Arms of the Holy Roman Empire????

I do enjoy Christopher Lee's acting...

All i know,is that he is a distant linear descendant of King Charlemagne,on his mothers side of the family.So i guess it must have been passed down through the centuries.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We've done it on party invitations...and as tacky as it sounds...what I learned to do from a friend was do the hot wax & seal imprinting on a piece of waxed paper or parchment, let it cool and solidify, then remove it from the wax paper and glue it on the envelope. I know...it sounds like cheating, but then again, you don't risk ruining a great invitation if the wax doesn't adhere correctly or gets discolored from soot from the wick.

I got the idea when my friend at the stationery store showed me there's a company that actually makes them. At first, I thought it rather...tacky as I said above...but for the most part, nobody in this day and age is going to be able to discern how they were done, outside of knowing they're really rather old-fashioned and nonetheless elegant.

And we've mailed them with no problem of them coming off in the mail, at least from what we've heard from the recipients. Blood red sealing wax is always a big hit on the Halloween party invitations.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
I use wax seals frequently and I love it. I have a modern seal and wax. I would like to get more vintage ones though. My advice to using wax seals is to melt it over another parchment. I always drip wax on my desk and its hard to remove. Make sure to dab a dime size on the back end of the envelope and press firmly for a few seconds. You should use a candle to melt the wax to. DON'T use a match or cigarette lighter to melt the wax. It is hazardous and leaves very poor results like black soot. Have fun and good luck.

Edward

Bartender
cufflinkmaniac said:
I was considering a Fleur De Lis seal, but I thought that since I am not a member of the French monarchy that it would be improper.

I shouldn't worry about that, myslef: the way I would see it is that when the French people removed their monarchy, they liberated all such devices for the use of the people. The Fleur de Lys, at least a version thereof, has been used by the Scouting movement all over the world since 1907. all Scouts worldwide wear a version of this badge:

wosm100pwsh.gif

Which, to my eyes at least, looks very similar to this:

200px-H%C3%A9raldique_meuble_Fleur_de_lys_liss%C3%A9e.svg.png

Seems as legitimate as use as any to me.

Years ago, my parents bought me a sealing wax set - a couple of sealing wax 'candles' with a little pewter lion with my initial on the base. Similar items can be found easily and cheaply on eBay. I would love to have a seal ring, and will probably simply use a monogrammed signet ring at some point.... possibly will have the ring engraved 'backwards' to facilitate this. Maybe also will pick up a ring with my old university crest on it for same purposes. Signet rings and engraved initials are relatively affordable, though when I looked into crests (whether real or, as I considered for a bit of fun, fabricated), they become incredibly expensive, due no doubt to the craftsmanship required for a quality engraving.

shortbow said:
I just give my seal a lick before I press it into the wax.

That'd be the easiest way.... I've always found dipping itg into a small quantity of water immediately prior to use does the job nicely.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Quite so.

Max Flash said:
Of course, you can legitimately claim that Louis Alphonse, as a pretender, has no legal right to the Fleur de Lis motif. He has no right to any seal of the King of France has he has not been crowned as such.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Perhaps I will go ahead and get the Fleur de Lys (I knew I misspelled it!) Although, a signet ring with my initials would be nice as well. Hm, decisions decisions.

Edward said:
I shouldn't worry about that, myslef: the way I would see it is that when the French people removed their monarchy, they liberated all such devices for the use of the people. The Fleur de Lys, at least a version thereof, has been used by the Scouting movement all over the world since 1907. all Scouts worldwide wear a version of this badge:

wosm100pwsh.gif

Which, to my eyes at least, looks very similar to this:

200px-H%C3%A9raldique_meuble_Fleur_de_lys_liss%C3%A9e.svg.png

Seems as legitimate as use as any to me.

Years ago, my parents bought me a sealing wax set - a couple of sealing wax 'candles' with a little pewter lion with my initial on the base. Similar items can be found easily and cheaply on eBay. I would love to have a seal ring, and will probably simply use a monogrammed signet ring at some point.... possibly will have the ring engraved 'backwards' to facilitate this. Maybe also will pick up a ring with my old university crest on it for same purposes. Signet rings and engraved initials are relatively affordable, though when I looked into crests (whether real or, as I considered for a bit of fun, fabricated), they become incredibly expensive, due no doubt to the craftsmanship required for a quality engraving.

That'd be the easiest way.... I've always found dipping itg into a small quantity of water immediately prior to use does the job nicely.

I did see some wax seals and supplies at the LA Pen show but did not indulge.

On my last visit to Vroman's Bookstore on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena, CA I went over to the seperate Stationary Printer store just past the theater and they had a big display of wax and seals on the counter facing away from the front window. Some neat ones to choose from and the variety of wax colors was extensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic