Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We need a name for a hat style

Boodles

A-List Customer
Perhaps you should add Filson to your list

I have and use the Orvis, Filson and Stetson Gun Club--oh I forgot about the Dobbs stingy Rainbow, you know the ones with that tacky trout fly stuffed in the ribbon--hats. These go stream fishing, out in the rain-especially the Filson and Orvis, trips to the home center, dive bars on a lazy Saturday afternoon, riding lawnmower (with a cigar-which makes the stuff shirt new arrivals to my part of the south, nuts), etc. Perhaps you have named this genre already: "Outdoorsy LLBean/Orvis/Gun Club/Rainbow,Filson Hat."

Should we include the cheesy Army-Navy Store repro campaign hats? Mine is brown with a wool calvary acorn cord and short piece of wild turkey feather. I store it in a hat press so the brim is as flat as anything outside of Paris Island. This is my favorite hiking in the Smokies Park hat. It's also wool felt so if it rains the thing curls like a potato chip.

On a different topic...I just love like that straw homburg of yours. It puts one to mind of a hat Poirot wears. Most excellent. Graham Thompson?

Aerol said:
This past winter I saw many more men wearing hats on the streets of Chicago. However, for the most part they weren't fedoras. They were these outdoorsy LLBean/Orvis/Stetson Gun Club type hats. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Well, what are they? Are they fedoras? Are they cowboy hats? Are they something else entirely?

What should we call them?

Will Morgan

Vendor
In their catalog Akubra classifies their styles as Country, Western, Fashion and Straw. When describing the styles to dealers I refer to the "Country" hats such as the Snowy River, Cattleman etc... as Outback hats, Fair Dinkum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy