Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding fedora ideas?

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Now then... I'm less than 4 weeks away from the day when fiance becomes wife - well she likes my hats so she must be ok... :D

My question. I'm wearing a black Italian-made wool suit (dinner jacket, but not tuxedo) with a burgundy and silver waistcoat, a burgundy cravat, black shoes. I would like to team this with a suitable fedora but can't quite decide what to go for. The Disney is looking like my 1st choice, unfortunately I don't have any bound-brim darker grey hats yet so... anyway the choice is:

Disney Canter, very light grey with black ribbon and a bound edge:
DSC00390.jpg

Federation IV Deluxe:
DSC00417.jpg

Knox Premier grey with black ribbon:
DSC00386.jpg

Mallory grey with black ribbon:
DSC02745.jpg

And, IF it turns up in time, Mallory Ten blue-grey:
229788457_tp1.jpg

And, if it turns up AND fits, Stetson Whippet (not this actual one but looks the same):
229854894_tp1.jpg

Or finally, Dura-Plastic Wingnut Edge VS Special:
DSC00377.jpg

Ok, only kidding with the last one :D

Any thoughts on your preference, or what you think might suit best?

Cheers all,
N. :)

Goose.

Practically Family
Nickn5...

Fed, Knox, Wingnut...in that order.
HOMBURG would be number one if ya had one.

Congrats on getting married!
It's so much fun I've done it three times!!!
:eek: :eusa_doh:

donCarlos

Practically Family
Firstly, congratulations to your wedding.
Secondly, you need to buy a black hat. Homburg would be better than fedora.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations!

I'll add my vote to the black homburg suggestion--that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Well, homburg anyway--didn't know what color suit you'd be wearing. But if you can score one before then...

Otherwise, Fed, Knox, Mallory.

Have fun!

Tom

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Where will the ceremony take place? In a church? If so, are you thinking about wearing the hat in the church during the ceremony or just to the church?

BTW, I love the Knox best, but I wouldn't wear a hat during the ceremony (unless appropriate for religious reasons).

Just my opinion.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Thanks all so far for the kind remarks - I'm looking forward to it but also nervous of course...

I'm not going to wear the hat indoors (it's in a church) although all the ladies there will be wearing hats by request of ourselves on the invites. The day after the service (which is at 11.00) involves outdoors and indoors activities.

I take the suggestion about the Homburg, I might just see if I can find one suitable in time, I don't currently own one. But if not, then I think your votes have narrowed it down to Fed or Knox. I must confess I bought the Fed originally with the intention of wearing it for the big day, but the Knox is really very nice too. Can Vagabond Kings get married? lol :D

I'll get some pics anyway on the day and post them in a new thread here...

Cheers,

jpbales

Practically Family
that's sort of what I was wondering...

Is it actually appropriate to wear it during the ceremony, inside the church? Or is it only appropriate to wear it to and from the ceremony/altar?

I'm getting married next year too, and I was thinking that I would wear it prior to the ceremony, take it off during the ceremony, then maybe have someone hand it to me after the "kiss the bride" part when we start heading for the door.

Either way, it would be cool to incorporate a fedora into the wedding. Congrats!

Goose.

Practically Family
Can't speak to the rules about the indoor wedding jazz about wearing a hat. But, I would never wear a hat inside a church...certainly, that may vary by custom/religion. I wear my hat everywhere, but when indoors for chow, church, etc, it's anywhere other than on my head. Your mileage may vary.

Guess I better get a Homburg myself for my next "big day" ;)

nickn5

One of the Regulars
jpbales said:
Is it actually appropriate to wear it during the ceremony, inside the church? Or is it only appropriate to wear it to and from the ceremony/altar?

I'm fairly sure that it depends what church, i.e how conservative or liberal. I know that in the conservative Christian faith in this country it's considered inappropriate for men to wear hats - 'cover their heads' - while in church. Some of the stricter gatherings will also insist that women must wear hats in the church. All down to interpretation I guess.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
nickn5 said:
I'm fairly sure that it depends what church, i.e how conservative or liberal. I know that in the conservative Christian faith in this country it's considered inappropriate for men to wear hats - 'cover their heads' - while in church. Some of the stricter gatherings will also insist that women must wear hats in the church. All down to interpretation I guess.

I agree it also depends on what religious tradition is followed.

However, it seems to me that if you go to the Church Of Goose, he would accommodate whatever hat wear the celebrants desire.;)

Tell me I am wrong.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Of the hats you have to pick from, the Knox seems the best. If the Mallory or Whippet had had some black or burgundy, I would have gone that route. But the Knox is a nice, classic, reserved dress hat that will go with the rest of the outfit.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'd go with the Knox as well and, as much as it hurts to type this, see if you can find a small burgundy feather as an accent to tie the hat in with the rest of your ensemble.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
carter said:
I'd go with the Knox as well and, as much as it hurts to type this, see if you can find a small burgundy feather as an accent to tie the hat in with the rest of your ensemble.

Hmm, a spiffing idea old chap! Have to see if I can find one somewhere.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Just to point out that the hat is not just for to and from the Church but it can also be worn at the reception (if you have one). If the reception is outside I don't have to say anymore but even if it is indoors a hat could possibly be worn. It wouldn't be as big a faux pas as wearing one in Church.

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
...if you go to the Church Of Goose, he would accommodate whatever hat wear the celebrants desire.;)

Tell me I am wrong.
You are correct CB. I would be proud just that people I invited attended to celebrate. And, with the hopes that the seriousness of the ceremony is offset by the fun at the reception.

So Nickn5, you going with the Knox?
Well, whatever you decide, don't forget to report back with pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael