Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Posted by Belly Tank:

"Dance Craze"

Not weird... and probably not forgotten by the Senator...

Bad Manners, Madness, The Bodysnatchers, The Specials, The Selecter - not forgotten at all BT! I have to get a copy of this to see it again, as well as the Madness movie, Take It Or Leave It, which I still haven't seen. I finally got around to getting a PAL DVD player, so there's no excuse for not getting it now. I understand it's pretty bad, but the Mads are still one of my favorites. I see they're touring UK this year. I'd love to come over and see them. The last time I saw them was when they were in NY was around '97. Far too long!

Regards,

Senator Jack

Yeah, this has been a good one, Doc, but it's killing me that I can't find things like Arthur, Arthur for rent. (I have to see this now.) It's too bad there's not an online rental place that specializes in these sort of films. (Who wants to start a business?) We should keep this going as we come across other films.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Yeah, this has been a good one, Doc, but it's killing me that I can't find things like Arthur, Arthur for rent. (I have to see this now.) It's too bad there's not an online rental place that specializes in these sort of films. (Who wants to start a business?) We should keep this going as we come across other films.

Regards,

Senator Jack
There's a video rental store in San Francisco that carries very many films that aren't supposed to be available (not bootlegs of Hollywood blockbusters,just films that have fallen through the cracks). If you get to S.F. check out Le Video on 9th ave.
Speaking of strange TV movies from the 70s: The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) Stars a very young Jodie Foster and Martin Sheen (as a creepy pervert...emphasis on pervert). Great performance from Foster.

Has anyone mentioned Gargoyles (1972) TV? Cornel Wilde plays a scientist traveling through the U.S. Southwest in a station wagon with his family. They discover a living colony of gargoyles. This movie really scared me when I saw it, it's got a lot of atmosphere and is genuinely chilling.
gargoyle5vr.gif

Gargoyles scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Had nightmares about it for months. I didn't realize Little Girl was a TV movie, I thought it was in the theatres. They actually made some good little movies for MOTW. Wasn't The Execution of Private Slovik also one of them? (again with Martin Sheen)

Speaking of Don Knotts, I have to get around to watching The Love God again at some point. I recall that Don played a magazine publisher who has his nature magazine turned into a mens magazine while he's away. Overnight, he becomes a Hugh Heffner figure.

Some others I have yet to see - they're probably awful:

The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz: Elke Sommer and the entire cast of Hogan's Heroes, but they don't play their Heroes' roles. It's supposed to be a cold war comedy. I remember in the 70s they always use to run this at 3 a.m. on the local station, and being an HH fan I always tried to get up to watch it. Now you can't find a copy of it.

I Sailed to Tahiti with an All Girl Crew - Richard L. Bare, writer/director of 'Green Acres' made this one in the 60s. How can you not be drawn to a title like that?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Possession(1981) by Director Andrzej Zulawksi. Stars Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill.

Adjani got the critical acclaim, but Neill was amazing, too. Horror at its most psychological.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Gargoyles was creepy.
I was just looking at IMDB for some old MOTW. I read some interestign comments by ohters who were quite nostalgic for those days.
Funny how a movie you saw once or twice 25 years ago could make such an impression.

Sefton said:
There's a video rental store in San Francisco that carries very many films that aren't supposed to be available (not bootlegs of Hollywood blockbusters,just films that have fallen through the cracks). If you get to S.F. check out Le Video on 9th ave.
Speaking of strange TV movies from the 70s: The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) Stars a very young Jodie Foster and Martin Sheen (as a creepy pervert...emphasis on pervert). Great performance from Foster.

Has anyone mentioned Gargoyles (1972) TV? Cornel Wilde plays a scientist traveling through the U.S. Southwest in a station wagon with his family. They discover a living colony of gargoyles. This movie really scared me when I saw it, it's got a lot of atmosphere and is genuinely chilling.
gargoyle5vr.gif

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
B&W T-Rex

silhouette53 said:
Well, apart from being a B&W classic '50s Sci -Fi flic from producer Howard Hawkes, this film is awash with A2 jackets and crusher caps - essential viewing for all usaaf nuts !! - its available on DVD so you don't have to wait for a TV re-run !! - ENJOY !:beer:

Have you ever seen the Lost World ripoff: TheLandUnknown ?

Naval Helicopter decends into an antarctic crater, and find a tropical dinosaurland. Love seeing those old uniforms

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
B&W T-Rex

silhouette53 said:
Well, apart from being a B&W classic '50s Sci -Fi flic from producer Howard Hawkes, this film is awash with A2 jackets and crusher caps - essential viewing for all usaaf nuts !! - its available on DVD so you don't have to wait for a TV re-run !! - ENJOY !:beer:

Have you ever seen the Lost World ripoff: TheLandUnknown ?

Naval Helicopter decends into an antarctic crater, and find a tropical dinosaurland. Love seeing those old uniforms

photobyalan

A-List Customer
How about these "gems"?

The Thing With Two Heads (1972) starring Ray Milland and Rosey Grier;
I Saw What You Did and I Know Who You Are (1965) starring Joan Crawford and Leif Erickson;
Crack in the World (1965) starring Dana Andrews and Janette Scott;
The Happening (1967) starring Anthony Quinn

None of these are going to make any top-1000 lists but I seem to remember them quite well, and they're fun to watch on those rare occasions when they're on TV.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Chefs - oh yeah!

John in Covina said:
WHo's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

I love that movie. Some day I want to try my own much smaller version of Le Bombe Richelieu...

And Robert Morley...his response to the doctor when the doctor says after all the years of their doctor-patient relationship, they could surely use first names...

WEEGEE

Practically Family
What's a great actor doing in this

photobyalan
How about these "gems"?

The Thing With Two Heads (1972) starring Ray Milland and Rosey Grier

Rosey was much better then this...

Regardless...its one of those oh so unforgetables.

Ray Milland's presense makes anything such much like Michael Cain's

stinker paychecks like the Hand...

The Hand (1981)
Directed by
Oliver Stone

Writing credits
Marc Brandell (novel)
Oliver Stone (screenplay)
Genre: Drama / Horror (more)

Tagline: The creator of "Platoon" and "Wall Street" unleashes terror that doesn't let go.

Plot Summary: Jon Lansdale is a comic book artist who loses his right hand in a car accident. The hand was not found at the scene of the accident...

Michael Caine .... Jonathan Lansdale

It is amazing what a actor a difference makes.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bodysnatchers

I saw mention of Bodysnatchers, but the old original with Kevin McCarthy and Dana Winter, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, is another favorite and I think it makes the cut as Golden Era as well.

We had a dingbat secretary at the office in LA and one of her co-workers came back to my office one day ready to wring her neck and said "Could you call her husband and see if there's a pod growing in the greenhouse?" I thought I was going to die laughing, and I still use that line from time to time.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
a lost & forgotten planet of the Apes

Ever seen this site?
http://theforbidden-zone.com/media/tzone.shtml

An interestign project. Planet of the Apes reedited into a B&W twilitezone format. The premise is that Planet of the Apes was really a lost episode of the TwiliteZone that was never re-aired.

For those not aware, RodSerling worked on the screenplay for Planet of the Apes. Puts the final scene into perspective when you think of it along the other classic TZ endings.

I've never read th original novel , so cant compare the story.

Magus

Practically Family
MrBern said:
Wow, Gargoyles was creepy.
I was just looking at IMDB for some old MOTW. I read some interestign comments by ohters who were quite nostalgic for those days.
Funny how a movie you saw once or twice 25 years ago could make such an impression.

Dang it....now the nightmeres will start again! Gargoyles scared the....sleep right out of me as a pre teen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner