Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well-Preserved A2 from the No Name 27753 Contract 1942

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I must have owned at least 8 jackets from Cable Raincoat's 27753 contract over the years and have seen many more, but I have never had one in such well preserved condition. This size 44 is all original-apart from the leather zip puller! The pattern is one of most comfortable fitting of all the A2s in my collection, with large arm holes, wide sleeves arms, and a roomy body. I think it always looks smart when worn.

The thickness of the horsehide used by Cable Raincoat varied quite a lot. This jacket is made of thick, buttery russet hh, which has been conditioned with a light coat of Pecards. The mustard lining has almost no wear. Cable sometimes used Rau Fastener snaps, but this one has United Carr snaps. Most jackets from this contract had Conmar zippers which this one has. The mid brown knits show little wartime wear only some light moth damage which has been repaired.

This jacket was passed by an inspector in 1942 as fit for the USAAF, but would have been classified as a "second" today! The box stitching on the epaulets is much longer on the left shoulder than on the right and the front panels are unaligned. These imperfections just add to the character of the jacket.

033.jpg

038.jpg

036.jpg

043.jpg

040.jpg

045.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

034.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
Your collection continues to amaze those of us who lack your acquisitiveness and sense of style.

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great jacket with loads of grain variation. It's amazing to see how snug the waistband still is. You can tell by the shape of the cuffs that the jacket has been worn a bit but the waistband looks almost new (apart from the darned up moth holes).
The rounded collar tips and less scalloped pocket flaps give this contract a very contemporary look. Great fit, too!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks chaps. I would imagine the jacket was worn quite lightly during the War as the lining does not have any dirt at alll on it and the knits have not been stretched out of shape. Moths really are a curse! It is very rare to find an original A2 that has not been visited by these destructive insects. I do have a few originals in my collection which were stored in sealed bags and have no moth damage at all to the knits.

KevG

New in Town
Thanks for sharing those pics

I'm always on the look out for your posts with the latest additions to the collection

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm amazed any A-2's survived battle conditions. Many did not.

D

Deleted member 16736

Looks great. Is this a spray dyed jacket? I'd consider getting the Cable in John's semi-aniline russet HH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff