Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction & A2 Fit Advice

JoeAvis

New in Town
Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker, soaking up all the information that's been collected here over the years (and for that I'm grateful), but today I felt the need to post and ask for advice.

I bought an A2 Bronco from Aero last August. At the time I thought I had a passable knowledge of A2 jackets, but since buying it I have been reading these forums and have realised how little I actually knew.

I love the quality of the jacket, beautiful leather, starting to lose it's 'newness' and it looks great.

Sizing wise, I always felt something was a little off, and I wasn't sure if it was just a case of needed to 'break in' the jacket, so it draped better, or my frame/posture, or even the sizing itself.

In the last week I concluded that the knitted waistband was too lose, and it wasn't gathering the jacket properly at the bottom hem. This resulted in what someone has on this forum calls a 'cow catcher' look, with the bottom of the zip pointing outwards in an unflattering way.

Earlier this week I asked for advice from somewhere that could replace the knits, to shorten them and gain some tightness (Byson in the UK). They said they could help, but also said the jacket is a tad big on me. (I've also reched out to Aero, but I'm waiting for a response from them).

This surprised me, as the jacket is quite tight and restrictive across the back of my shoulders. But now someone has said it, I can't unsee it. The shoulders droop and there's a vertical crease in front of them where the armhole 'should' be.

Long post, somewhat shorter, I'd love your various opinions please. My feeling at the moment is that with the knits replacings and made more elastic (Byson said they coud do this), it would be a perfectly fine jacket. It's certainly too big on the shoulders - but A2s are a balance for us folk not living in a rationed world and to have a jacket that fits well in one place, it's usually a little big/small somewhere else.

One final note, yes that's me in the pictures, I know the resemblance is uncanny.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20240131-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0000.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG-20240131-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0001.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG-20240131-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0003.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG-20240131-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0004.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-20240131-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0005.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG-20240131-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240131-WA0006.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 172

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Bad news first, A2 flight jackets torso is a drop 2 only, the different contracts will differ only in how big the shoulder and sleeves are (and pockets and collars of course) so it can feel bigger up top on some contracts vs others. But the chest down ratio isn't very tapered, that's just how the A2 jacket design is.

If you have some taper chest down to waist, and still want a flight jacket, the G-1s will be a bit better than the A2 as they have a bit more taper and they've go the action back so technically you could get one that fits tight at the waist and use the action pleats for room up top.

I've seen Aero made an one off leather B-10 before but I am not sure if that's a thing or not. B-10 jackets have stronger tapers chest down, but I still prefer the functionality of the G-1 jackets better. Navy imo had better jackets than the USAF.

You could find a different contract A2 with bigger sleeves that will take care of the tight back, and custom taper it down with a more aggressive V taper so it doesn't bag out. But I would not suggest to do anymore to your current Bronco except to trade it in because the back shoulder fits tight already and there is no solution for that except another different contract jacket with more room there.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge Joe!
I think your jacket looks really sharp as is and I think this is a case where the perfect may be the the enemy of the good. It is really hard to get a “perfect” fit in the A-2 because it is a little more than a potato sack with arms sewn on. The only way to have a jacket that you can move around in is to have one with a little extra material here and there.
Canuck Panda explained the fit issue better than I could’ve and if I were you I would leave this jacket alone. Try to learn to love it like you did before the internet experts got in your head.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I too think, the jacket fits well. New knits at the waist are a good idea. If nothing else, an A2/G1/M422A need to fit tight at the waist. Sometimes a stiff (horse)hide puts too much strain on a loosely knitted waist.

I wouldn’t change anything else. You can check on different contracts/different repros over time, but this is a perfectly fine fit.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I both understand your concerns and think the repair person was probably right as well. The A-2 was very much a simple, rushed garment so it falls straight. You need to lean into the fit, which is really a leather windbreaker that fits like an overshirt, to enjoy it.

In contrast, the US Navy jackets were quite structured and tapered (while having better range of movement due to the pattern). If you want the A-2 look with a more tapered pattern, consider the AN-J3 (which Aero is one of few places that does a repro of).

JoeAvis

New in Town
Thank you all for your insights, I appreciate them.

I've certainly been a bit guilty of overthinking it, and I do need to accept that broadly 'it is what it is'.

But I'm going to investigate the tightening of the waistband, and if it could just be a little tighter it would achieve that classic bomber jacket look.

I do love the look of the M422a and AN-J3, if I had the choice again I'd probably go for one of those. But I don't fancy losing a chunk of change on this on to start all over again. Maybe I'll get one of those in a few years.

Cheers

JoeAvis

New in Town
I’ve had 3 A2 jackets but this one fits me best. They are a finicky animal to get a perfect fit. Mine is Visenza leather, what is yours?
It's Aero's Jerky HH, they describe it as mid weight - I wouldn't want to find out what heavy weight is like as this is a seriously substantial jacket.

I've sprayed mine with water a few times in the last fortnight, I wanted to get rid of some newness before Masters of the Air came out and there was a glut of new owners..!

I love the colour of yours, I think my next jacket (I'm telling myself in 5 years +) will be lighter.

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
It's Aero's Jerky HH, they describe it as mid weight - I wouldn't want to find out what heavy weight is like as this is a seriously substantial jacket.

I've sprayed mine with water a few times in the last fortnight, I wanted to get rid of some newness before Masters of the Air came out and there was a glut of new owners..!

I love the colour of yours, I think my next jacket (I'm telling myself in 5 years +) will be lighter.
Yes. I like the seal brown but wanted one in dark brown too so I picked up this Bill Kelso in dark seal, liberty I believe. As u can see it fits differently from my Aero.
20240201_080844.jpg

JoeAvis

New in Town
Yes. I like the seal brown but wanted one in dark brown too so I picked up this Bill Kelso in dark seal, liberty I believe. As u can see it fits differently from my Aero.
View attachment 586244
Very different! Still looks good though. Have you got a jumper on under it too? That must be handy - the whole year covered with two jackets.

I'm in the UK, and I have a customer client near ELC's factory shop, so I may pop in one day to try and some different contracts and see what my next dream jacket will be.

old guard

New in Town
Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker, soaking up all the information that's been collected here over the years (and for that I'm grateful), but today I felt the need to post and ask for advice.

I bought an A2 Bronco from Aero last August. At the time I thought I had a passable knowledge of A2 jackets, but since buying it I have been reading these forums and have realised how little I actually knew.

I love the quality of the jacket, beautiful leather, starting to lose it's 'newness' and it looks great.

Sizing wise, I always felt something was a little off, and I wasn't sure if it was just a case of needed to 'break in' the jacket, so it draped better, or my frame/posture, or even the sizing itself.

In the last week I concluded that the knitted waistband was too lose, and it wasn't gathering the jacket properly at the bottom hem. This resulted in what someone has on this forum calls a 'cow catcher' look, with the bottom of the zip pointing outwards in an unflattering way.

Earlier this week I asked for advice from somewhere that could replace the knits, to shorten them and gain some tightness (Byson in the UK). They said they could help, but also said the jacket is a tad big on me. (I've also reched out to Aero, but I'm waiting for a response from them).

This surprised me, as the jacket is quite tight and restrictive across the back of my shoulders. But now someone has said it, I can't unsee it. The shoulders droop and there's a vertical crease in front of them where the armhole 'should' be.

Long post, somewhat shorter, I'd love your various opinions please. My feeling at the moment is that with the knits replacings and made more elastic (Byson said they coud do this), it would be a perfectly fine jacket. It's certainly too big on the shoulders - but A2s are a balance for us folk not living in a rationed world and to have a jacket that fits well in one place, it's usually a little big/small somewhere else.

One final note, yes that's me in the pictures, I know the resemblance is uncanny.

Thanks
Personally, I think your jacket looks great. But I think you have a really big head.

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
Very different! Still looks good though. Have you got a jumper on under it too? That must be handy - the whole year covered with two jackets.

I'm in the UK, and I have a customer client near ELC's factory shop, so I may pop in one day to try and some different contracts and see what my next dream jacket will be.
Just wearing a T shirt with jeans. Visiting the ELC factory would be heaven, you are lucky to live there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner