Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested B-3 Sheepskin jacket

Returningson

New in Town
An old "leather concessaires" version of this was up on the 'bay a while ago. Looked pretty solid from the pics...just throwing that out there though!

Edward

Bartender
As a sheepskin jacket it may be OK, as a B3 replica it's crap!

D

Ha, don't hold back, now..... lol They certainly aren't historically accurate, if that matters to OP. I haven't handled one of those. I do have a Wested Raiders. Not as good as an Aero or whatever, but then much cheaper. FWIW, I wouldn't trust a sheepskin to be much in the way of protection in the event of spilling a bike. Budget allowing, I'd be considering a FQHH or heavy steer with shearling lining in one of the boxier designs, like the Highwayman or the Elvis motorcycle jacket.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Accuracy be- damned I was at wested a few weeks ago picking up one new jacket and dropping off another to be fitted. I looked at their b3 as I am on a quest of my own to find a cheap preferably second hand cheap example. it was a quality sheepskin garmet at most prices and defiantly at that price. But I doubt it will be very much protection after a spill on a bike

Rycraft

New in Town
Ah. My initial-as heretical as it sounds-plan was to chop the sleeves and use it more like a vest. I have other stuff to wear underneath it. I just didn't want to get one of the pricey ones and defile it like that. In the end I'll probably end up going with a HH A-2. ..Minus the sleeve chopping of course.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
If you do go with wested for it give them a call or visit tell them what you want to do with it. Peter is a nice fellow and might cut you a deal on materials/labor. Saving you the hassle of doing it yourself. Also I highly recommend if possible trying on any wested jacket some can run large with slightly.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
R/C
Why not consider an Eastman C3, which is designed as a vest and at least you will know what it looks like before you carry out "Surgery", also it's only £30.00 more than the Wested and would have much greater second hand value should you ever wish to sell it

D

Rycraft

New in Town
Thanks everyone! I'm rather attached to the overall aesthetic of the B-3, so the C-3 vest is nice but not really what I am looking for. Thank you for the reference though. I do like the lay down shearling or sherpa collar, the collar belts, and the pockets on the front of the civil. If I had my absolute way It'd be one of the "original" styled ones with the leather patches of a secondary colour, and the single open top pocket on the right side of the jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks everyone! I'm rather attached to the overall aesthetic of the B-3, so the C-3 vest is nice but not really what I am looking for. Thank you for the reference though. I do like the lay down shearling or sherpa collar, the collar belts, and the pockets on the front of the civil. If I had my absolute way It'd be one of the "original" styled ones with the leather patches of a secondary colour, and the single open top pocket on the right side of the jacket.

That pocket is very handy for gloves - always miss it when I'm wearing an Irvin instead. You could have one made up in that style by Aero, with no sleeves to begin with, but I doubt it'd be much cheaper than the complete jacket, if price is an issue.

Oh, now here's a thought.... WPG do their own repro B3, which comes in at about USD300. Looks pretty close to the real thing:

B_3-larger.jpg

See here: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=838&bc=no

FL thread on it: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?58684-What-Price-Glory-B3

Bit more than the Wested, maybe, but still another option (plus shipping is likely to be easier and cheaper?).

Rycraft

New in Town
Looked at it..their B-3 is way pricey and just doesn't look right to me. The jacket Edward posted looks brilliant to me. If only I had the extra scratch to drop on one of the high-end repros.

EDIT: But, again, wouldn't want to play hacksaw with one of the good ones. But I understand I'm pretty much between a rock and a hard place, it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot