Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested?

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang,
looking for opinions on Wested. basically I want A light light leather jacket. The closest thing to my ideal jacket seems to be the Layer Cake (movie)one.
The heavy suburban in HH is great for colder and I have an Aero cafe racer coming. So this would be best in Lamb, goat or a nice cowhide.
The Wested is $235. My other big criteria is I like a collar but a very tight one just a fold over, not crazy about big flaps to pull up around my neck.
Thoughts?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own a Wested and I've seen others. They are about the standard of a higher end market vendor jacket. Not terrible, but very basic. I suggest you check out local producers of jackets in your closest city.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
We have one local producer here in Virginia called Fox creek. More of a bikers jacket. Also very thick and pebbled leather. I like something thinner and smoother. Found the Layer Cake jacket at Soul Revolver and read some decent things/ Again clearly not at the top level. Maybe I will bight the bullet and buy the Lewis Leathers Corsair. It also has the right collar and plain look I like minus that stupid badge in the front.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Look at USWINGS.COM
They have some nice jackets on sale now for $195. Some lighter weight Australian goat. Good deals to be had.

Australian goat? Not sure about that. Hard to get over here and when they do use it it's generally from Pakistan like the goat used all over the world.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I love my lambskin Wested... a great warmer-weather jacket. Mine was a custom-size order - a few years back when they were about $250 -and it fits me better than any jacket I've ever owned. It's held up very well to average wear, though I did once tear the back...

And I also had a US Wings Indy jacket once, and found it to be much less comfortable, and pretty unsophisticated in the design and materials.

(So... Lambskin is very soft but more fragile than other hides. I tore a V-shaped gash in the back panel when it caught on a car door. I sent it back to Wested for repair... They did a great job... and they didn't charge me ANYTHING for the new back [the largest panel, which matched perfectly in color], labor, OR return postage to the US!)

Philalethes

A-List Customer
(So... Lambskin is very soft but more fragile than other hides. I tore a V-shaped gash in the back panel when it caught on a car door. I sent it back to Wested for repair... They did a great job... and they didn't charge me ANYTHING for the new back [the largest panel, which matched perfectly in color], labor, OR return postage to the US!)

Wow, that is great customer service. I would consider buying from them sometime in the future, just because of this story.
In addition to the Indy jacket, I like their Dr. Who coat.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi Gang,
looking for opinions on Wested. basically I want A light light leather jacket. The closest thing to my ideal jacket seems to be the Layer Cake (movie)one.
The heavy suburban in HH is great for colder and I have an Aero cafe racer coming. So this would be best in Lamb, goat or a nice cowhide.
The Wested is $235. My other big criteria is I like a collar but a very tight one just a fold over, not crazy about big flaps to pull up around my neck.
Thoughts?

As was mentioned in the summer jacket thread, I would suggest goat: it is lightweight, not very warm, and durable.

I have never had lamb. I think cow is warmer than goat, although it is hard for me to tell, since both of my cowhide jackets have thinsulate or polyester fill linings.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, it's more about how a particular batch of leather was processed than what animal it came from. Some cowhides are thick and tough, some are thin and soft. Same with horsehide - some is like armor, some is like butter. Goatskin also varies in thickness, but always combines the seemingly contradictory properites of being very supple/flexible while extremely tear-resistant.

I don't know that any of the types of leather are inherently "warmer", more or less "waterproof", "breath better", etc... The more jackets I handle, the more I realize that these properties are often largely dictated by the lining materials (e.g., synthetics vs. cotton), insulation/interfacing (if any), the presence of sleeve and waist knits and what they're made from.

My Wested isn't my summer jacket so much because it's thin lambskin, as that it doesn't have any knits, and has a super-comfortable "breathable" all-cotton lining. (It's much more comfortable over short sleeves than the synthetics in my other jackets!)

Addendum: I just checked Wested's site for the first time in years, and was surprised to discover that even their custom-sized jackets are still under $300. While Wested's jackets aren't mega-tough like milspec jackets or those premium A-2 repros costing twice as much, this is a heckuva bargain for a stylish, functional, personally sized Indy jacket!

Last edited:

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I'll give Wested this: Their Indies are cheap and great for the price. I love mine. My Dr. Who jacket, for the price it's a simply awesome jacket. Fairly thick and heavy and just "feels" good.

Forrest

Familiar Face
I have a Wested dark brown lambskin Indy jacket. Good knock around jacket, and very light weight. Quality is far better than a mall jacket, but not as good as the premium vendors and military producers those on this site are familiar with.

Metatron

One Too Many
''his top classic 'Brando' biker Leather jacket made famous by 'Marlon Brando' in 'On the Waterfront' ''

This is from their website! :eusa_doh: They really should know better. I might send them an email about it.

I've only purchased one jacket from Wested--a custom-sized Indiana Jones "Raiders" style in Novapelle (a soft cowhide)--but my experience was very positive. When it arrived exactly two weeks from the day I ordered it I immediately thought some form of mistake had been made; after all, it was a custom order and had to be shipped from the U.K. to southern California. In two weeks??? Not possible...or so I thought.

The first thing I did was double check the measurements; all but one was spot on. They added 1.5" to the length, but they were correct in doing so--if it had been made to the measurements I had provided, the dimensions would have been off and it would have been too short. Next I inspected the lining and the seams because I'd heard horror stories about shoddy craftsmanship; all good. Then I tried it on. Not only did it fit exactly the way I wanted it to, but it was so soft and comfortable it was as though I'd been wearing it for years, and it seems to get better every time I wear it. Admittedly, it looks a little big on me, but I like my leather jackets to be a bit "roomy".

That said, it's not a perfect "all purpose" jacket. Far from being waterproof, the Novapelle actually seems to absorb water, so I don't wear it in anything heavier than a light rain. And, for me, it's quite warm despite the fact that it's not insulated, so I can't wear it if the temperature is higher than mid- to upper-60s (°F). Apart from that, it has become my go-to jacket and I've received quite a few compliments while wearing it.

Based on this experience, if I had the desire and the funds I wouldn't hesitate to order another jacket from Wested. But I have to agree with Forrest--my jacket is far better than the mall and/or chain store jackets, but it's not quite on par with jackets made by premium or mil-spec vendors. Still, in my opinion it's excellent quality for the price.

Edward

Bartender
''his top classic 'Brando' biker Leather jacket made famous by 'Marlon Brando' in 'On the Waterfront' ''

This is from their website! :eusa_doh: They really should know better. I might send them an email about it.

Ha, yes, I spotted that too! lol

Wested's business seems to me to be aimed more towards the cosplay scene than the typical Aero buyer. Don't expect an Aero for a third of the price, but that said they are a step up from the run of the mill. Made to measure at their custom price is a good deal. I wanted an Indy jacket myself, partly for its own sake and also for a Summer leather, as per the other thread. I bought an otr, used Wested Raiders, worn twice, mint, for half price. Perfect for my purposes. I'd definitely recommend a used Wested for anyone wanting an Indy-style jacket for low outlay.

matei

One Too Many
I've posted about Wested before; I recommend their Indy jacket in goatskin. It is lightweight, tough and looks good. If you're in the UK and have the opportunity to pop in to their facility and have a chat with Peter it is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats