Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

You know I remember horn used for rag slides as a kid . Used for neckerchief slides , I wonder if guys still do that ? Old stuff .
Michael, I wanted to reply to this but forgot until now. I made a couple of taller canes & walking sticks & I used horn as a joint ring between the cane & where the handle attaches. Also made a few pens the same way. If you want to turn a true ring the hard part is chucking up horn in a lathe after you cut a piece. I save back smaller pieces of elk antler for that, but if you want to leave the bark & grain on it you won't be turning it down anyway. I've also cored out plugs for rings from the old metalflake bowling balls that used to be so common, but you can't find them anymore.

I've been tossing aside some nice straight pieces of deer antler when I find it. When I have enough pieces for a full set I want to carve a chess set from antler.

I have a couple of vintage series ROPP pipes with horn stems that are favorites also.

k4cnbb.jpg

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Joao, that hat looks better on you than it ever did me. Very nice!

Michael, if you live in west TN and haven't been by you're cheating yourself. It's worth going in just to watch them work...but you may not get out that easy. :D I've been there twice and had two of their hats. Coincidence? Or maybe there's just something about really well done, quality stuff...

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Michael, if you live in west TN and haven't been by you're cheating yourself. It's worth going in just to watch them work...but you may not get out that easy. :D I've been there twice and had two of their hats. Coincidence? Or maybe there's just something about really well done, quality stuff...

I've been by , just not when they're open . But I'll make it sooner or later . ... I hope I get there before Joao comes , but if he gets to Memphis , I'm taking him , or meeting him there . I live North of Covington , my brother lives just South . Semi scared I'll go NUTS seeing all Mike's Stuff .

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That Hat really looks nice on you Joao ! You and 56 are making me jones to get to Buckaroo Hatters and (gulp) "see" the sights .
Thank You. Go before you regret it. ;)

Thank You. Was you the original owner?

Love the Buckaroo, Joao.
I was inspired to wear mine for a short time this evening.
It looks nice! Brim looks over 4"?

I've been by , just not when they're open . But I'll make it sooner or later . ... I hope I get there before Joao comes , but if he gets to Memphis , I'm taking him , or meeting him there . I live North of Covington , my brother lives just South . Semi scared I'll go NUTS seeing all Mike's Stuff .
If I go there I'll not be able to afford one so your safe ;)
Same feeling of going nuts if I enter that store.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat , Joao! Looks great! I travel to Memphis a lot for work. I'm going to have to plan an extra day sometime when Buckaroo is open to see the shop.

F_M , if you EVER get tired of your Stetson Nutria , PM me ! I'm 7 3/8 , too . Buckaroo's is open Saturday and Sunday Only , you could call or email when you'll be coming to double check . I kept stopping by during the week , and didn't notice the sign , a guy and his wife were coming out that clean and decorate , he pointed to the sign . Too many Hats to notice a little sign !

This was on an auction site and went for less than $20. It was pretty small. Anyone here get it? Neat old American Hat Co. clear beaver. Note the old phone number format.

294048425141933st.jpg

234661225141933st.jpg

525703025141933st.jpg

554707725141933st.jpg

136867725141933st.jpg

888923025141933st.jpg

102865025141934st.jpg

556849025141934st.jpg

736212325141934st.jpg

That should have been a Joao Hat , Clear Beaver , too ! Was it 7 1/4 ?

Got this Ritch Rand in Silverbelly coming my way. While the Tom Horn, Gus & Tom Mix creases from the Old West collection are always my favorites I have a couple of those already in light color hats. So I'm undecided at this point what I might like to try. One thing for sure is that roached out braided horsehair hat band will find its way into the parts box.

2qvfih1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy