Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Bad Guys

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Everyone has a favorite good guy but who were your favorite bad guys?

Charlie "Blackie" King

v-ck3.jpg

He was even better with a bit of comedy in Blazing Saddles as a sicophantic bad guy to Hedley Lamar (Harvey Corman).
How about John Russell in Rio Bravo? Can't help but hate him there. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Notice how El Dorado is the same story line with different people? I dislike Ed Asner more as the villian in El Dorado but that might have something to do with him personally. LOL

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Brian Dennehy in Silverado was pretty evil...

Alan Rickman in Quigley Down Under...

and of course Ian McDonald as Frank Miller in High Noon...

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Those guys mentioned so far are classic, but Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh in "No Country for Old Men" is the scariest and maybe the new standard bearer for evil in modern Westerns. He is an emotionless, compassionless killing machine with a very 'sick' sense of humor. Surprising that he won an Academy Award for that role since "heavies" never seem to get the credit they deserve.

Naphtali

Practically Family
I've always preferred villains who were predominantly not evil guys -- that is, not stick figures. Among Western villains like that are:
1. Arthur Kennedy in "The Man From Laramie" (1955) and "Bend of the River" (1952);

2. Burl Ives and Charles Bickford in "The Big Country" (1958);

3. Walter Brennan in "The Westerner" (1940);

4. John Wayne in "Red River" (1948) and "The Searchers" (1956);

5. Emile Meyer (Rufus Ryker) in "Shane" (1954). I rooted for him against Shane because I felt he was right. Only his final method was wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails