Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western hat fan says Howdy

Minnesota Marco

New in Town
I am a dedicated lid-wearer of longstanding, particularly because I have a chrome-dome. The bracing winter air where I live--as I write this it is one degree Farenheit at midday--and the unforgiving summer sun make wearing a hat a necessity. Although I have many styles of lids, my go-to cover of choice is a Western-style fur felt. To me nothing is more American, hat-wise, than a Western.

My wife laughs because I am often greeted with "howdy" by strangers when I wear my fur felts, be they shopkeepers, contractors, and the like. (My Western boots might also contribute to these persons the sense that I'm a cowboy or rodeo rider, and their "howdy" is perhaps their way of ingratiating themselves with me.) Dunno.

Anyway, I sure have enjoyed lurking in this fine forum for the past couple of weeks, and I think that I deserve ;) to become a member of this lounge. So a hearty howdy to all.

T Rick

Practically Family
I am a dedicated lid-wearer of longstanding, particularly because I have a chrome-dome. The bracing winter air where I live--as I write this it is one degree Farenheit at midday--and the unforgiving summer sun make wearing a hat a necessity. Although I have many styles of lids, my go-to cover of choice is a Western-style fur felt. To me nothing is more American, hat-wise, than a Western.

My wife laughs because I am often greeted with "howdy" by strangers when I wear my fur felts, be they shopkeepers, contractors, and the like. (My Western boots might also contribute to these persons the sense that I'm a cowboy or rodeo rider, and their "howdy" is perhaps their way of ingratiating themselves with me.) Dunno.

Anyway, I sure have enjoyed lurking in this fine forum for the past couple of weeks, and I think that I deserve ;) to become a member of this lounge. So a hearty howdy to all.

Howdy Pard'ner. Okay, I kid.... Welcome to The Lounge!

warbird

One Too Many
Howdy to you as well. Of course down here we all say howdy to half or more of the folks we meet or see. I imagine cowboy boots and a western hat are less common up there. Unless the hat is very distinctive down here they get little notice. And boots are only noticed if they are really nice. I do get comments on my caimans and snakes though, more than the others.

I'm about to try and find myself another western. Probably something with a front pinch and slightly sloping front and rear brim, but with a pencil roll. Maybe a Gus crease. Haven't decided yet.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Howdy, Marco! Welcome to the lounge, friend. Stop on by the "Western, Anyone" thread. Maybe you can post pics of your lids sometime :).

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Howdy yourself. I'm a Scandihoovian from Minnesota myself, although have been away for a long time. Minnesota is on the dividing line between East and West. Minneapolis at heart wants to be New York, but there's a lot about the state that looks West. So I would think a Western hat in Minnesota would work pretty well. "Howdies" and all.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Howdy! I'm into western styles myself. Right now, I'm returning my modern Open Road for a replacement, as it was defective, but that's my current western hat. I did frequently wear a felt cowboy hat as a kid for two or three years, though.

fmw

One Too Many
Howdy.

fredavatar.jpg

Minnesota Marco

New in Town
FWIW, I used to live in New York, but I'm better now. :) You are right, Dano, about Minneapolis' aspirations to play in the big leagues. And yes, much of the state, west of the Twins, does definitely look westward, so western wear doesn't stand out like a pair of brown oxfords with a tux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn