Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Westerns & Singing Cowboys?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was looking at Cowboy Action Shooting, a target shooting sport using mostly vintage-style Old West firearms.

What am I doing posting about the 1880s on the Fedora Lounge, you ask?

Well, one of the categories for participation is the B-Western. This is the Roy Rogers / Tom Mix / John Wayne take on the West. Unlikely color combos, flash, etc. And that sounded kinda fun to me, but I realized that aside from The Duke, I haven't actually seen too many of these.

Can some kind soul point me towards pics of Golden Age Hollywood cowboys and especially cowgirls? The only period movie cowgirl I can think of is Dale Evans.

Thanks in advance!

-Viola

Feraud

Bartender
All of the following films might not exactly fit your criteria but are great films none the less.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Shane
A Fist Full of Dynamite
The Ox-Bow incident
Once Upond a Time in the West
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I especially like Shane and The Wild Bunch.

I must say that for pure eye candy, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid will always have a special place in my heart. *fans self* lol

-Viola

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Kings, Queens, and Corrals

The Royal Rodeo with John Payne, Lucile Fairbanks, and Ciff Edwards.

There is also the very well known Broadway (and movie) production
of Annie Get Your Gun. :) Ethel Merman played Annie Oakley in 1946 on Broadway, Betty Hutton played her in 1950 on film, while Mary Martin played Ms. Oakley in the late 1950's on television. Ethel Merman played her in a Broadway revival later.

Haversack

One Too Many
You cannot overlook Gene Autry who pretty much invented the singing cowbow character for the 1930s and 40s. His trademark song was "Im Back in the Saddle Again" and his horse's name was Champion. He was a singing cowboy even when the story involved automobiles, airplanes, and the sunken continent of Mu.

Haversack.

Shearer

Practically Family
Ah, The Searchers is great.

Don't forget High Noon! "Mr. Pierce, Mr. Miller, Mr. Colby..." And the movie's theme was sung by Tex Ritter. Do a search for him on IMDb and you'll find more of what you're looking for.

NRay

New in Town
If you are looking for female western stars, there aren't many that come to my mind, but there are a couple that I have seen some westerns.
Maureen O'Hara appeared in Buffalo Bill, Comanche Territory, Rio Grande, McLintock, and Big Jake (which was much later). She was one of the few women that was allowed to play a tough, emmancipated, yet feminine character.
Jane Darwell (of "Grapes of Wrath" fame) also appeared in several westerns: The Ox-Bow Incident (mentioned before), Jesse James, My Darling Clementine, The Three Godfathers, and Gone With the Wind (not really a western). She certainly seemed to show great talent.
There are many others, some can be found here. This is a long list of western actors (mostly male), but it might give you a good idea.
Hope this helps.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
You want Westerns and singing Cowboys?
Look no further that 'Whoopee!"
One of the few Broadway musicals of the twenties to have been adapted to the screen. A very telling example of that genre... It also created a major movie star of Eddie Cantor.
Fantastic musical numbers!

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"Happy Trails and memories"

If there was a support group for hopelessly-addicted western movie fans,
I would be a charter member. I spent my Saturdays watching Roy, Gene,
Hoppy, "Lash" LaRue, "Wild Bill" Elliot - you name him, I and my friends
wanted to be him. I have really not wavered in my love of the genre',
but the ticket buyers of today are more interested in other subjects.
Sergio Leone's films, though a little "campy" at times, had great sets, characters and heros that took me back to "Those Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear". Here is one of the "one sheets" I have had displayed on my wall for thirty-five years. Hey, I said I was a fan!

400188061_7e820fac01.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Some good Golden Age Westerns would include

Stagecoach (John Wayne and John Ford, the film that made JW's career)

The cavalry trilogy directed by Ford (and JW was in every one of them):

Fort Apache
Rio Grande
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

The Searchers (another JF/JW gem, some think it is the best western ever made, other think it was Shane or The Wild Bunch or High Noon).

Lots of singing cowboy westerns starring Roy Rogers and later, with his wife Dale Evans. And the aforementioned Gene Autry

The Ox-Bow incident
Shane
Red River
Destry Rides Again

Any western with Gary Cooper in it: The Plainsman, West of the Peco, High Noon

For fun and/or music: Annie Get Your Gun, Calamity Jane, Son of Paleface, Blazing Saddles

I could go on and on, better stop.

karol

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Dorothy Page "The Singing Cowgirl"
Movies: Water Rustlers, Ridem Cowgirl

Gail Davis was Annie Oakley on TV in the 50's

If you would like a western comedy, Judy Canova's "Oklahoma Annie"

If the idea of John Wayne as a singing cowboy appeals to you, "Riders of Destiny".

You might want to go to or contact the Gene Autry Museum at Griffith Park in Los Angeles. They have a large section on Cowboy movies and singing cowboys in the museum. I still remember my dad pointing out one of the lesser known stars and related on how this guy was walking thru a part of the city and came across a burning apartment building, rushed in and make numerous trips bringing out people! A real life hero!

I have a soft spot in my heart for those singing cowboys because they often embodied "the Code of the West" for me.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Not only did they embody the code of the west, the Cowboy Code is something we all could follow.

If I learned any sense of morality when I was a child, it was not due to parents or schools or religion or the culture around me, steeped as it was, even then, in corruption, it was due to the Cowboy Code.

http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/WorldCodes/CowboyCode.html

If that one fails to show, look it up on Yahoo or Google; it is called the Cowboy Code. What a great world it would be if we followed that Golden Era rules....

karol

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Here is the criteria for the costuming maybe it will help those responding.

• Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried
below the top of the gun belt.) All belt and holster rigs must be embellished (fancy
stitching, conchos, spots, or tooling). All holsters must be of the “Double Strong-Side”
type. No crossdraw, shoulder rigs, or butt forward configurations allowed.
• Costuming: Shirts must be of the “B” Western style with snap buttons or any of the
following: ‚ÄúSmiley Pockets,‚Äù embroidery, appliqu?©s, fringe, or different colored yokes.
Shield shirts are also allowed if it has piping or embroidery.
• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
loops, and/or piping or fringe.
• Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw hats.
Hats must be worn.
• All boots must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with
smooth, non-grip enhancing soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.
• Western Spurs with rowels are required for men. Ladies may wear skirts or split riding
skirts.
• You must choose at least one or more of the following optional items: gloves or gauntlets,
scarves with slides or tied around the neck, coat, vest, chaps, cuffs.
• All costumes are expected to be fancy and flashy.

Try this book

Ladies of the Western b icheal Fitzgerald and Boyd Magers.

078642656X.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
That book looks simply wonderful!Oh, by the way you cannot forget Rex Allen or Tex Ritter.Although they weren't singing cowboys you really shouldn't overlook Sunset Carson,Rocky Lane, Randolph Scott, Tim Holt,the Lone Ranger,Johnny MacBrown,Hoppy,the Durango Kid...the List goes on and on.My Dad would be so proud of me for remembering all of these!:)I DID find a singing cowgirl.Her name is Dorothy Page.She is quite pretty,at least I think so...here's a website with a picture and some information.
http://www.b-westerns.com/dorothy.htm

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Viola said:
I was looking at Cowboy Action Shooting, a target shooting sport using mostly vintage-style Old West firearms.

What am I doing posting about the 1880s on the Fedora Lounge, you ask?

Well, one of the categories for participation is the B-Western. This is the Roy Rogers / Tom Mix / John Wayne take on the West. Unlikely color combos, flash, etc. And that sounded kinda fun to me, but I realized that aside from The Duke, I haven't actually seen too many of these.

Can some kind soul point me towards pics of Golden Age Hollywood cowboys and especially cowgirls? The only period movie cowgirl I can think of is Dale Evans.

Thanks in advance!

-Viola

Hmmmm. Well,,,,,it may not be exactly 'period correct,' but, I always thought that Sharon Stone, looked pretty good, in "The Quick, and the Dead." About the only reason to watch that movie. Then again, it would qualify as a B-Movie. ;)

Then again, 'period correct' for the ladies of that time would make it difficult for the 'action' part of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR