Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about the European catalogues?

Metatron

One Too Many
So we've seen many American 1940s catalogs by Sears... Where are the European ones? Of course American workwear and casualwear was the most influential of the time, but there must be some purely European equivalents.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest a source for 1930s-1950s European catalogs, especially featuring leather jackets.

benstephens (a retired member here) has posted a few bits and pieces on his blog:

http://doverstreetchaps.blogspot.com/

As I say this is only bits and pieces of his substantial collection. I am also guilty of not digitising my large collection of British and European catalogues. To be honest, when you've seen one Burton's 1930s catalogue (see above) you've seen them all. They didn't change much.

I do have some odd and very rare things, though (I spent quite a while collecting these things), so maybe someday i'll get around to posting them.

bk

Metatron

One Too Many
Thank your for your replies. I'm particularly interested in the European equivalent of the famous American workwear/leather/casual clothing of the time. Have you seen any catalogs that feature something equivalent to these: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?37176-1942-catalog ?

I'd be interested in seeing catalog illustrations of those crazy German double breasted motorcycle jackets for example. Although I realize that they were probably considered crazy back then too, and were consequently not mainstream.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I post all my scans here but there is less casual clothing or work wear. However I found a guy on german ebay who scans catalogues and sells them as pdf. Search for "Renner Katalog" on german ebay. They have about 90 pages (also with womens clothes, housewares...) and I don't want to spoil his business so I can't post all of them here. At least he made the effort to scann all the pages.

Take this as a preview. It's one of the better pages though.

katalog193738herbstwint.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
Thank you, mein herr! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Which of the catalogues by this ebay seller feature the most 'sportswear'?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[huh] I really don't know. Maybe about the same but with a different range of products depending on the fall/winter or spring/summer collection. The page above is from Herbst/Winter 1937-38

Great thread! Thanks everyone for sharing. Like Metatron, I would also personally like to see more European stuff like this. I think the relative scarcity of European workwear catalogues has to do with the fact that there were no pan-european powerhouse retailers at the time like Sears and Roebuck in the US. I could imagine that European retailers of the era were smaller operations that did business locally (meaning within their own home country) and therefore the expense of producing and distributing a full fledged catalog was prohibitive especially for workwear. Just my assumption.

Mangrove

One of the Regulars

Metatron

One Too Many
Fantastic, thank you.

It is obvious that there was an aesthetic in Europe that is at times similar to it's American counterpart, at times quite distinct, like in the case of those double breasted jackets. These catalogues are a great source for inspiration.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Of course American workwear and casualwear was the most influential of the time, but there must be some purely European equivalents.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest a source for 1930s-1950s European catalogs, especially featuring leather jackets.

Most influential ? The American clothing industry was largely run by European immigrants. They brought their skills and ideas with them.
Denim,of course,is French http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denim

Mangrove

One of the Regulars

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I had a mail order catalogue from the 1930s, Army & Navy London if I remember. was much like todays mail order catalogues, no photo's though but lots of drawings of suits, dresses, clothing in general plus everything you would want for a cruise on the Mauritania.

Hard bound, but acidic paper, a few hundred pages, all the pages having a yellow tint to them.Much like todays mail order catalogues they were probably thrown away after a season, you may find one on eBay but good ones are not always cheap, I paid £45 for mine. I gave it to some friends as a wedding present as they were into that sort of thing and the groom had a suit made from an example featured.

For those that are not aware: Army & Navy store in London was an old style department store in England, such as Selfridges, Harrods, and probably Macy's in the USA rather than an outlet for deactivated rocket launches and out of date uniforms(Though it probably started out selling military clothing). Look it up on the net, thats your job;)
J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff