Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What am I doing wrong?

ScarletAirelle

New in Town
I have been doing pincurls for a couple of months now and somedays they come out great and other days I don't even want to go out in public, I have recently noticed that if I sleep with my pincurls and brush them out in the morning my curls are somewhat fine, but later in the day when i go brush it again (my hair is very fine and tangles easily) the ends of my curls go straight. So I am stuck with curly hair on the top and straight ends. sometimes I willl go over the straight ends and try to re-curl them with my fingers but I don't always get all the straight pieces and it ends up looking wierd. Does anyone else have that happen to them? What am I doing wrong? :(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, how are you doing your pincurls? Are you winding them from the ends up? Or are you winding them around your finger starting at the scalp, and then tucking the ends under?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like they are not truly dry when you take them out.. look fine for a while and then zap, they're gone. Esp. if your ends are tucked in nicely, they will be the last to dry.

If that isn't the case I highly suggest a few layers and/or a touch of razoring the ends. Even tho your hair is fine, sometimes the weight of fine hair pulls those curls right out.
Nikki

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
My hair tends to go flat on the ends when it is need of some trimming. I never get the same results with pin curls so I turned to magnetic rollers and my luck has faired much better, since it is easy for me to get the ends perfect when I use rollers in my hair.

ScarletAirelle

New in Town
Miss Neecerie: Thanks for making me feel better, I just see all the pictures that the ladies post and it seems like they are pros.

KittyT: I am winding them from the scalp and then tucking the ends under. I have found that doing it that way is easiest and faster for me. Maybe I'm not getting the ends tucked in well enough.

Ohairas: I do try to take my pincurls out when they are completely dry and sometimes even run a blow dryer over my hair to make sure they are, before taking them out. I do have layers though but some split ends. Could that be the problem?

BakingInPearls: I think I will probably switch to magnetic curlers as well. It just kind of bothers me a bit that just when I thought I had finally gotten the hang of doing pincurls I might have to do something different. :eusa_doh:

Thank you for all your help ladies!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ScarletAirelle said:
KittyT: I am winding them from the scalp and then tucking the ends under. I have found that doing it that way is easiest and faster for me. Maybe I'm not getting the ends tucked in well enough.

You might find that you get a beter curl by rolling your pincurls up from the ends. I find the easiest way to do this is to roll them around a sharpie, just like i would any regular roller, and then slide the sharpie out and pin the curl. You can also get nicer looking ends if you use end papers to cover the ends before rolling!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yep, make sure you're rolling the ends first.. and also rolling them tight. The centers of the curls, your ends, should be the tightest and then get somewhat larger. If your curl looks more like a doughnut without much in the middle you won't have much curl.
I've also found with my hair, that while I'm driving to work or whatever mine will go flat because I'm "sitting" on it. So I always have to remind myself to pull my hair out from behind me.
It could also be the weathe.. too much humidy will zap the curl, but also if the weather is too dry like winter it will do the same.
Good luck!
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot