Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are good Swing Dance movies, like Swing Kids?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Can someone suggest good swing dance movies or films like Swing Kids?

The kind of movies or shorts that make you want to dance... especially with the dips / aerials / etc...

Here's a list but it doesn't "rank" them: Maybe you can suggest a "priority" of the "best match" movies & shorts from this list?

(Currently all I have is "Hellzapoppin", the Astaire/Rogers movies (though they don't have much of the dips & aerials), and Swing Kids...) What I'd really like to find is some short film made back in the 30s-40s which was narrated, sort of "making fun" of jitterbug dancers in a friendly way - it showed a dancing couple and traced their tangled path on the screen, etc - anyone know the name? or can suggest others, probably on this list?:

http://www.streetswing.com/swg1mov.htm
thanks

nightandthecity

Practically Family
cousin, the film you mean is called "Groovie Movie" and it was one of a series of comic spoof documentaries called "Pete Smith specialities". I have it on video somewhere...taped it off the TV, don't know if it is commercially available but try Google or streetswing.com. Fantastic film - I watched it over and over again when i first had it, even tried (unsuccessfully)to work out some of the moves! I have an idea the main female dancer is still alive but I can't remember her name offhand.

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
I usually answer this question w/ what you started with - Swing Kids. Love that movie. (Ever since I tried on my suit for the QM last week, I've been singing 'I don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing...' ;))

But I just realized, you took my answer...hmm. '1941' had some good dance/fight scenes...nah, nevermind. ;) Okay, I'll keep thinking...

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
nightandthecity said:
cousin, the film you mean is called "Groovie Movie"

That's it! Thanks Nightandthecity.

Rigby Reardon said:
...hmm. '1941' had some good dance/fight scenes...nah, nevermind. ;)

Yes!! One of the greatest scenes ever caught on film!

So Please Let me know what others yall can come up with, or if any on that list from the URL in the first message rings a bell as being good ones...

(Also, any documentary videos with hot moves; got the Camp Hollywood videos from several recent years, and one Monsters of Swing... and of course the instructional videos for dips and aerials but still gotta find someone willing to try them out :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Not really a classic yet, but 'Blast from the Past' Has a great Swing sequence in it. Along the lines of classic films, A' Day at the Races' has some swing dance in a portion of it.

Cheers!

Dan

Salv

One Too Many
Groovie Movie is included as an extra in the Hellzapoppin' DVD available from The Video Beat - also included is a 1991 dance documentary called Jitterbug.

There was also a 1998 British movie called Swing - not very original - that featured regular dancers from London's 100 Club Lindy nights. I haven't seen this so can't tell you whether it's worth looking for.

Tin Pan Sally

I'm interested too, I hope there are some obscure replies!
Besides the above mentioned: Manhattan Merry-Go-Round, Radio City Revels, Big Apple (short), Hot Chocolates, Jammin with the Greats, America Dances, The Spirit Moves, Keep Punching, Lullaby of Harlem, Jazz Dance/ After Hours, Jazz Band Ball.
Most of the musicals of the era were more tap and ballroom, but I like that too!

Haversack

One Too Many
I would recommend the 1943 movie _Stage Door Canteen_. Aside from all the cameos of actors and actresses, it features numbers by five popular bands of the time: Benny Goodman, Kay Kyser, Count Basie, Xavier Cugat, and Freddy Martin. Much dancing is shown as this movie was about a servicemen's night club. Not all the dancing is what we would call swing, but there is one pretty spectacular couple doing just about every manuver you could want.

Haversack

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Tin Pan Sally said:
I'm interested too, I hope there are some obscure replies!
Besides the above mentioned: Manhattan Merry-Go-Round, Radio City Revels, Big Apple (short), Hot Chocolates, Jammin with the Greats, America Dances, The Spirit Moves, Keep Punching, Lullaby of Harlem, Jazz Dance/ After Hours, Jazz Band Ball.
Most of the musicals of the era were more tap and ballroom, but I like that too!

Great list, thanks Sally!

Salv said:
Groovie Movie is included as an extra in the Hellzapoppin' DVD available from The Video Beat - also included is a 1991 dance documentary called Jitterbug.

Salv, that DVD you pointed to looks great... Do you (or does anyone else) own that DVD from this company (The Video Beat, out of NY)? If so, is the playing surface silver colored like a mass-produced DVD, or some other color (blue, purple...) like a home-burned DVD?

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Mike K.

One Too Many
Just by chance, my girlfriend was watching "A League of Their Own" on DVD the other night...it has a really good swing dance scene. There's also a bit of swing action during the hangar dance scene in "The Memphis Belle" (that would be the newer movie). I don't know if it counts, but "Grease" also has a good dance scene (the competition). However this was supposed to take place during the era when swing began to blend with rock-n-roll. Even though the music is rock, many of the dance moves are 40s swing (at least I think). [huh]

-Mike

Salv

One Too Many
Cousin Hepcat said:
Salv, that DVD you pointed to looks great... Do you (or does anyone else) own that DVD from this company (The Video Beat, out of NY)? If so, is the playing surface silver colored like a mass-produced DVD, or some other color (blue, purple...) like a home-burned DVD?

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat
I've got it and it looks like a home-produced DVD. The quality isn't bad but Hellzapoppin' is a little jerky at times - times when it isn't supposed to be jerky that is...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok kiddies, hold on to your hats and bonnets! I’m going to give ya a list of flicks that are sure to get ya your kicks!

Hellzapoppn’ is fantastic! There’s some good footage in there of Frankie Manning and the rest of “Whities Lindy Hoppers” and also Dean Collins & Jewel McGowan can be seen near the pool in the film.

Groovie Movie: Pete Smith Specialty.
Date: 1944
Dancers: Lenny & Kay Smith, Chuck Saggau & Irene Thomas, Arthur Walsh & Jeanne Veloz: I’ve danced with her! She’s the sweetest!!!
Music: Jimmy Dorsey - One O'Clock Jump

The Gang's All Here,
Date: 1943
Dancers: John Mills, Johnny & Jenny Duncan
Music: Benny Goodman - Minnie's in the Money

Dance Hall
Date: 1941
Dancers: Dean Collins & Jewel McGowan

Buck Privates: Great Abbot and Castillo flick!
Date: 1941
Dancers: Dean Collins & Jewel McGowan, Ray Hirsch & Patti Lacey, Gene 'Shadow' Cole, Gil Fernandez
Music: Andrews Sisters - Bounce Me Brother with a Solid Four.

Twice Blessed: A great film! Seen it a few times! You’ve got to find a copy!
Date: 1945
Dancers: Hal Takier & Alice Scott, Lenny & Kay Smith, Wally & Mousie Albright, Freda Angela Wyckoff, Bob Ashley, Chuck Saggau.

The Powers Girl
Date: 1942
Dancers: [N/A]
Music: Benny Goodman and his Orchestra - One O'Clock Jump.

Ghost Catchers
Date: 1944
Dancers: Johnny & Venna Archer, Bob Ashley, Gil Fernandez, Lenny Smith, Betty Stoy, Irene Thomas, Mike Tremini
Music: Kirby Grant w/ Ella Mae Morse & the Mel-Tones - Quoth the Raven

This will start your search for fun period original Jitterbug films! More to come my friends! Oh YOZA YES!

=WR=

PS. The link at the bottom of the page will help you see some of these clips! Enjoy!!!
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

D

Deleted member 259

The Cotton Club"
1929-era with gangsters, tap dancers, etc
Starring Richard Gere, Nicholas Cage, Eddie Valentine from Roger Rabbit, Fred Gwyne (Herman Munster) and Gregory Hines & his brother!

Tin Pan Sally

I LOVE Gregory Hines! Not a swing dancer though.

Have you seen "All That Jazz" with Ben Vereen? It is the oddly surreal autobiography of Bob Fosse. The scene of him performing as a teen in the vaudeville club where his mother bartended still gives me the creeps. No wonder he was so messed up being raised in that environment. Not swing either.

Here is a list including a few more we forgot, and details of some we've mentioned, that ARE swing:
http://www.savoystyle.com/movies.html

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
Ok kiddies, hold on to your hats and bonnets! I’m going to give ya a list of flicks that are sure to get ya your kicks!

There we go! :eusa_clap Now, to seek out where to find them...

D-Day-Doll said:
"Spreadin' the Jam" is the best! Its a short that I've caught a few times on Turner Classic Movies.

Looked that one up on IMDB and that just Sounds great.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of Spreadin the Jam (1945)? Tried Google with "Spreadin the Jam DVD", no dice... not on ebay, and didn't see anywhere on TCM site where they list schedule for shorts between feature lengths either.

Anyone want to trade dance video clips in general? got a good group of swing videos either uncopyrighted or public domain, please Private-Message me.

Great sounding suggestions, especially tips on Where To Get these videos, looking forward to more info in that regard (I see a number of great items on http://www.swingdanceshop.com/vintagevideos.html (thanks again Sally), thanks to all you good folks

:)offtopic: someone lent me an ancient cassette of "The Cotton Club" soundtrack in high school, & that sent me on a major late-20s/early-30s kick for a few years there - isn't it amazing how a quick loaner can open a whole new world)

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy