• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What Are You Reading

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Lancealot, Aug 13, 2006.

1. I just started the Dresden FIles by Jim Butcher. Kind of Sam SPade meets Harry Potter. A rather enjoyable bit of fluff.
  2. Tony in Tarzana

Tony in Tarzana My Mail is Forwarded Here

These days I'm reading a two-volume compilation of Raymond Chandler. The first volume has many of his "pulp" short stories.

I need to stop messing around on the computer and read more books.

3. I have thought about picking up some of his works
  4. Tony in Tarzana

I got them from Amazon. Most of his novels and short stories in a two-volume hardbound set.
  5. "Doc" Devereux

"Doc" Devereux One Too Many

I'm reading a fascinating book called Infamous Aircraft, about aeroplanes (and airships) that weren't exactly a joy to fly under all conditions. Thoroughly enjoying it too.
  6. I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
  7. Tony in Tarzana

OK, Doc, there's another book I have to buy. Gee, thanks!

Anything that mentions the Tarrant Tabor is pretty much a must-buy.
  8. G. Fink-Nottle

G. Fink-Nottle One of the Regulars

I just started "Freedom From Fear" by David M. Kennedy, It's a history of the US from the depression to the end of WWII. The book is about five inches thick so it'll be awhile before it's finished.
  9. I very much enjoyed The Count. I hate the mvoie was not closer to it.
  10. I thought the movie was okay, until I actually read most of the book and saw it again, then I thought it was pretty poor.

I got another movie version not long ago, I haven't watched it yet, it looked a little bit more accurate. But still not true to the book.
  11. Which version is it?
  12. Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded by Simon Winchester.
  13. DancingSweetie

DancingSweetie A-List Customer

I'm reading On the Waterfront, the Pulitzer prize winning articles that inspired the film.
  14. "Doc" Devereux

I know: I'm a bad, bad man. Fortunately it's a thing that seems to work for me. ;)
  15. waingirl

waingirl One of the Regulars

I am reading "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" by Margaret George. I love reading anything about England's monarchs, and mysteries.
  16. DancingSweetie

Oh, I love that too! I've been reading whatever I can about Queen Elizabeth.
  17. "Doc" Devereux

Which one? :D
  18. DancingSweetie

The Virgin Queen: Elizabeth I, Genius of the Golden Age by Christopher Hibbert. Also those trashy Phillipa Gregory books - love those.