Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Exercise Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caledonia

Practically Family
It's 50% in the attitude, 50% in the doing. So....

I am definitely enthused, I am up and ready, I am doing this today!

Oh yes, I am woman, I am strong, move that body!!!

Work through the pain, aAAAAAaaaaAARGH, that hurt - hup, hup, keep going!

Can't do that last minute. StrrreeeeeeeetccH!

Whooommppph. Good workout!! Other 50% some other day.:p

pgoat

One Too Many
thought I'd revive this thread since spring is here and half of Bike Month (May) is still here.

been riding to work again after my usual sloth winter layoff - managed to lose 5 pounds in two weeks!! That's with starving myself, mind.:rolleyes: And doing light weights a few times/wk.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Strenght training two to three times a week, I have been training for about a month and a half. I would much rather prefer to take up golfing again, it is much more pleasent..

MissS

A-List Customer
Weights 3 nights a week (chest + triceps, back and biceps, shoulders & abs), pilates once a week, tap classes once a week and treadmill once a week supplemented by daily doggy walking and a good biff at the boxing bag when I need to blow steam.

Whew. I'm tired just reading this. And I don't even like exercise, its just that all the best vintage dresses are sooo tiny!

miss_elise

Practically Family
i have to do classes because otherwise i'm not motivated at all to do anything...

i usually do at least 1 weights class a week and 2 cardio...sometimes more, sometimes less...

plus i ride my bicycle to work 2-3 times a week

pgoat

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
plus i ride my bicycle to work 2-3 times a week

Yes! Go Miss E.

I rode to work all week and felt great, but today it's raining plus I am picking up birthday gifts for the missus and getting ready for a vaca next week.....

The subway ride this morning stressed the heck outta me.....that bike commute is addicting!!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Every morning, 20 minutes or so of stretching, crunches, etc. Bicycling as far as I can as often as I can every week, and I try to walk pretty much everywhere possible, rather than drive.

I LOATHE the gym (good new word to use).

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Lately I've been avoiding excercise and so far that has been working wonders for my waist line. A late spring and only one bike ride to date. My 1500 mile goal for the season is looking harder to attain.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I bike to work & school every day (about 15kms round trip), and when school isn't crazy stressful I run on the treadmill at the gym for 45 minutes at setting 5.8 - I have no idea what that means. I love jogging outside, but you can really only do that for about 4 months a year here (beyond that the air gets too cold and my asthma acts up big time). I also have a weighted hulahoop (I know, kind of silly) that I use at home watching tv. It's good for your abs and most importantly FUN!

pgoat

One Too Many
good going guys!

nobodyspecial - do you bike commute ? I know that has added to my weekly mileage as much as one long weekend ride. Not as much fun, or as intense a workout, but it still counts!

rbbrock

Familiar Face
I've been doing the Rippetoe barbell program for four months or so, and it's been working excellently; I've added a good amount of weight to my lifts. On this program, one is supposed to add weight every workout, but I've started to plateau and am only able to add weight every second or third, so I'm probably going to switch to an upper/lower split pretty soon.

For cardio, I do medium intensity intervals for twenty minutes after I lift. Once in a while I'll do some HIIT on an off day for 30-40 minutes.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
pgoat said:
good going guys!

nobodyspecial - do you bike commute ? I know that has added to my weekly mileage as much as one long weekend ride. Not as much fun, or as intense a workout, but it still counts!

I hope to bike commute eventually. We are looking into building a new office building and if we do so I will have them add a shower in the bathroom. Once that is done I can bike to work during the months the kids have summer vacation. Biking 4 days a week would add 80 miles per week and a 2000 mile year would be within reach. Without a means to clean up after a ride I would stink up the office.

Last year I rode exactly 1000 miles. In order to hit that goal I had to bike 84 miles the Friday after Thanksgiving. At exactly 84 miles, about 2 miles from home, my tire went flat. Since I had met my goal I called home and had my wife pick me up as I did not feel like patching a tire in 30 degree weather.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Three nonconsecutive days a week I do kettlebells on a light / medium / heavy schedule. On the days between, I do pullups, dips, and pushups (also on a light / medium / heavy schedule). On Mondays I teach San Soo. Tuesdays and Thursdays we take ballroom lessons, which I mention because dancing uses muscles not normally employed by decent people.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
For the longest time I was swing dancing 3 or 4 times a week. Great exercise... But now I am so lazy I can't seem to muster up the will/want to go out at night. My couch looks way more inviting. So I have resolved to try to get out at least a few times a week and supplement with biking around my community.. or walking.. anything but driving around in the golf cart (I live on an island - kinda.. and electric vehicles are permitted on the streets.. it makes being lazy even easier)...

I hate the gym.. I am hoping now that it is getting nicer that I will be inspired to get out and move more. Last summer I was in awesome shape.. Now I need to lose about 10lbs.. UGH

Maguire

Practically Family
I never exercised at all until around last summer. I was never fat and so no need too, as i'm not big on sports anyway. however i picked up running, weight lifting a bit and jump rope although i've slacked off a bit lately. I figured if this is the prime of my life i might as well look as best as i can and take advantage, besides, with my eating habits, i won't stay thin for long so something's got to counter that. from not being able to run at all i've gotten much better.

Any recommendations on protein bars and shakes? I currently take metabolic whey although right now i'm using some cheap" Mus L blast ". Tastes awful but better than paying 3 dollars for a met rx bar (although anyone looking for good taste, met RX colossal bars, caramel apple flavor.. is amazing).

Between my studies and work and some other drama i've had to deal with i've had very little time these past few weeks but now that school's out i can jump back into it.

pgoat

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
Last year I rode exactly 1000 miles. In order to hit that goal I had to bike 84 miles the Friday after Thanksgiving. At exactly 84 miles, about 2 miles from home, my tire went flat. Since I had met my goal I called home and had my wife pick me up as I did not feel like patching a tire in 30 degree weather.
I hear you - I hate patching even in good weather! I usually just pop in a fresh tube and worry about fixing the puncture at home.

pgoat

One Too Many
Maguire said:
Any recommendations on protein bars and shakes? I currently take metabolic whey although right now i'm using some cheap" Mus L blast ". Tastes awful but better than paying 3 dollars for a met rx bar (although anyone looking for good taste, met RX colossal bars, caramel apple flavor.. is amazing).

Clif Bars are the best tasting I have found. They do have a little fat, but not as much as those chocolatey fitness bars. For very quick energy try Powergels. They absorb superfast, great for 15 mins before a workout or during, if you are sagging.

My wife has been making protein shakes in the morning the last few weeks, using fresh and frozen fruit with protein powder - I'll find out the name - they are really good!! I think it takes her maybe 5 mins to make, coupla more mins to clean up afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy