Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Exercise Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
My workout regimen

Hi All,

I've noticed lots of people posting their workout regimen, so I thought I would post mine as well. If there are any suggestions as to how I can improve it, please let me know.

Work out regimen:

Day 1: Chest, Triceps, Shoulders

a) Pushups
Set 1: 2min as many as I can do
Set 2: 20
Set 3: 20

I was doing pyramid sets with my pushups, but they take so long and I would be too wasted before going into my bench.

b) Bench press
Set 1: 115 lbs x 12 reps
Set 2: 115 lbs x 12 reps
Set 3: 115 lbs x 12 reps

After I get 12 reps at each set, I move up ten pounds. I was doing about 175 lbs on bench until I had to take some time off. I has a piece of skin cancer removed from my head. The scar is under my hair so it’s not noticeable. But, it did take me out the workout game for a while.

c) Assisted Dips
Set 1: As many as I can do
Set 2: As many as I can do
Set 3: As many as I can do

d) Peck-deck-fly
Set 1: Weight varies, depending on how I’m feeling that day x 15 reps
Set 2: Weight varies, depending on how I’m feeling that day x 15 reps
Set 3: Weight varies, depending on how I’m feeling that day x 15 reps

e) Overhead Dumbbell Lift (for triceps)
Set 1: 35lbs x 12 reps
Set 2: 35lbs x 12 reps
Set 3: 35lbs x 10 reps

f) Lat Pull-down
Set 1: #6 on machine x 12 reps
Set 2: #6 on machine x 10 reps
Set3: #6 on machine x 10 reps or 8 reps depending on how tired I am

Shoulders, same day:

g) Military press
Set 1: 115 lbs x 12 to 15 reps
Set 2: 115 lbs x 12 to 10 reps
Set 3: 115 lbs x 10 to 18 reps

h) Upright Rows
Set 1: 45 to 55 lbs depending on how I’m feeling, 10 to 12 reps
Set 2: 45 to 55 lbs depending on how I’m feeling, 10 to 12 reps
Set 3: 45 to 55 lbs depending on how I’m feeling, 10 to 12 reps

i) Weird shoulder machine that I don’t know the name of
Set 1: #5 at 10 to 12 reps
Set 2: #5 at 10 to 12 reps
Set3: #5 at 10 to 12 reps

Day 2:
a) Four mile run

Day 3: Back and Biceps
a) Lat Pull-down, wide arm
Set 1: 110 lbs (or #11 on the machine) x 12 reps
Set2: 110 lbs (or #11 on the machine) x 10 reps
Set3: 110 lbs (or #11 on the machine) x 10 reps

Again, increase weight by 10 lbs after I get to 12 reps of each.

I’m thinking about adding assisted pull-ups here, but I haven’t made the switch yet. I’ll probably begin it within the next two weeks.

b) Lat Pull-down, close arm grip
Set 1: 140 lbs x 12 reps
Set 2: 140 lbs x 12 reps
Set 3: 140 lbs x 12 reps

c) Cable Rows
Set 1: #8 x 12 reps
Set 2: #8 x 10 reps
Set 3: #8 x 10 reps

For some reason I haven’t made much headway on this exercise.

d) Roman Chair (for lower back)
Set 1: 15 reps
Set 2: 15 reps
Set 3: 15 reps

e) Strait bar biceps curl
Set 1: 45 lbs x 12 reps
Set 2: 45 lbs x 10 reps
Set 3: 45 lbs x 10 reps

f) Biceps curl with the non-strait bar (looks like a “W”)
Set 1: 45 lbs x 12 reps
Set 2: 45 lbs x 12 reps
Set 3: 45 lbs x 12 reps

Next workout I’ll move up to the 55 lbs bar

g) Biceps curl with dumbbells
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12 reps
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12 reps
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12 reps

I’ll probably keep these weights the same because I’m much too beat by this point to really push it.

h) Sit-ups
Set 1: Maximum number in 2 minutes
Set 2: 60
Set 3: 60

i) Flutter kicks
Set 1: 30 reps, four count flutter kick
Set 2: 30 reps, four count flutter kick
Set 3: 30 reps, four count flutter kick

Day 4:
Run 4 miles

Day 5:
Start over with Day 1 routine.

During the winter here in Minnesota, I try to run at an indoor track. If I don’t have time to make it to the track I rotate between an hour on the Stair Master and an hour on the treadmill. I try to keep the treadmill on at least a 2% grade because it’s supposed to simulate actual running. I don’t find this to be true, however. My first two mile run after training a few weeks on the Stair Master/treadmill and I can feel my run time slipping and my breathing is much more labored.

I’ve been thinking about what I can do to improve my running. I’ve toyed with the idea lunges, body weight squats, etc... But I don’t know. My goal is to run as fast as I can for two miles. I’m worried about putting on any extra mass around my legs. Any suggestions I would be grateful for.

Rufus

Practically Family
5-10 cups of coffee a day.
Large Chocolate bar.
Check emails 50+ per day.
Reorganise cds...... again

Well earned cup of tea and a lie down.

ruf

Mojito

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
I’ve been thinking about what I can do to improve my running. I’ve toyed with the idea lunges, body weight squats, etc... But I don’t know. My goal is to run as fast as I can for two miles. I’m worried about putting on any extra mass around my legs. Any suggestions I would be grateful for.
Looks like you've got a good all-around upper body resistance routine, SlyGi - so many folks only work the front, which they can see, but yours looks balanced. Perhaps a bit more abdominal and lower body work? I'm hesitant to offer any advice, as you'd be a d*** sight fitter than I am with a weights regime like that!

With the running, are you doing a flat pace or working some intervals in there? If you want to improve time/distance, I'd mix it up. I gather you're doing 2 x 4 miles a week - is that at a steady pace? I'd do some speedwork (if you're not already - if you are, try some different combinations) - more intense intervals with recoveries and perhaps a few tempo runs. You'd have a decent base mileage built up, so perhaps at least one speed session a week and a long run on the weekend - take it beyond the 4 miles. Hill training is also good. Always keeping in mind the 10% rule - don't increase speed or distance by more than 10% a week. To really improve you need at least 3 sessions a week, preferably 4 or more. I do some plyometric workouts to complement my running training and also some specific exercises to counter my muscle imbalance, particularly weak glutes and VMO muscles (single legged squats, leg extensions etc).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I do HIIT three times a week on our exercise bike and do weights four times a week (four day split).

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Sometimes I stand up and sit down a lot quicker than usual. It's um... good for the thighs.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Bicycling and weights

I bicycle at least 1 hour per day (well, more in the summer, less in winter). When I can't ride as much I supplement with other things (ride indoors, spinning, and working out on the Bosu ball, helps a lot with balance.

Weights at least 3X per week. I tend to do mostly upper body as the bicycle keeps the legs fit (I do at least 1 day a week of weights on the lower body for weight bearing - it seems to keep me from overdoing it but also prevents staleness from repetitive cycling, so to speak). :)

My "Real age" said I have two things keeping my age numbers up (if you aren't familiar it takes a bunch of data and computes an "as if" age that it calls "Real Age"). I'm 53 but my "real age" is 40. It says my issues are a) I work out too much and b) my heart rate is dangerously low. Well, it is because I'm fit, DOH!!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
Strenght training two to three times a week, I have been training for about a month and a half. I would much rather prefer to take up golfing again, it is much more pleasent..

I tried free weights today, but only for the arms - it is tough! I do hope that it gives a better definition, since I feel it is more targeted than the machines. The guys in the gym seems to think that setting 'eye of the tiger' on loop help them bulk up..[huh]

MissS

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
I tried free weights today, but only for the arms - it is tough! I do hope that it gives a better definition, since I feel it is more targeted than the machines. The guys in the gym seems to think that setting 'eye of the tiger' on loop help them bulk up..[huh]

Darhling, make sure you don't over-do the arms - the bicep & tricep are both small muscles and we ladies can bulk up too quickly.

Add in some dips - it will ensure you don't get chicken neck arms!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MissS said:
Darhling, make sure you don't over-do the arms - the bicep & tricep are both small muscles and we ladies can bulk up too quickly.

I did a variety of free weights : preacher curl (or as I say : preacher man), the tricep thing where you sit up and let the weight go down back your neck and then the also an exercise for the shoulder/chest - flat down on a bench raising the dumbells over my chest. I cannot remember the correct names for the exercises :) I do a few machines for the arms aswell..

:eek:fftopic: it is quite fun being the only girl in the 'grotto' as I call it - the room with all the free weights, where all the big arms/small legs comes in.. there are a lot of funny characters there!

pgoat

One Too Many
MissS said:

actually the tricep is bigger - but most people neglect it in favor of the biceps, so they get underdeveloped (see Mojito's post - people like to focus on the front/more visible parts). Dips are indeed great - I thinknk using your own bodyweight is terrific - I am trying to incorporate more dips/push ups, etc.

I'm surprised to hear you say women bulk up quickly - I always thought it would take a lot of heavy lifting for women to really build up their arms (or other bodyparts). I think high reps with light to moderate weights would be good for men or women to tone up the tris (eliminate the flappy thang).

drjones

A-List Customer
workout regimen

personally, I do Aikido about three times a week on average 2 hours each time. GREAT overall workout.

DRJONES

Mojito

One Too Many
pgoat said:
I'm surprised to hear you say women bulk up quickly - I always thought it would take a lot of heavy lifting for women to really build up their arms (or other bodyparts). I think high reps with light to moderate weights would be good for men or women to tone up the tris (eliminate the flappy thang).
That's my understanding too, pgoat. It takes testosterone to build large amounts of muscle, and most women have low levels so it is pretty difficult for women to bulk up unless their levels are naturally high or they turn to steroids. What it will do is tone - fat won't be spot reduced, but if you combine weights with cardio to lower body fat levels, you'll tone over all.

Number of reps/amount of weights is always controversial...I see women all the time who are lifting a just a kilo or two and doing endless reps, and according to the advice I've read it's not too terribly effective. As I say, it's open to discussion (so I invite the more knowledgeable to correct me!), but the general advice tends to run that if you can't do 6-8 reps it's too heavy, and if you can do more than 15 it's too light. I'll usually do the last set on each muscle group to failure.

Darhling, I usually call it "Testosterone Zone"! I know lots of women who are terribly intimidated to be the only girl in the room, even if most men are fairly polite and courteous (although some are disconcerting frank in watching you work out). I have to tune out all the posturing and just focus on what I'm there for - as you suggest, I think the free weights tend to be the most generally effective although I do use machines for some exercises like leg extensions. Pgoat, I agree bodyweight is a good tool as well - I break up at least one run a week with a session of dips/pushups, squats, lunges, crunches etc.

pgoat

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
Does lifting cigarettes and beer bottles from the table to my mouth count?
Ask your doctorlol

Ironically when I usedta run a lot of races (in my 20s) I always posted my best times the morning after a few cigarettes and beers....not a hungover brew-ha-ha, mind, but a little relaxing hoolie.

Course nowadays, give me a few beers and I am ready for bed and some tylenol....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR