Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite mystery or espionage novels?

Corto

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh and Barbara Cleverly.
I've never heard of Ngaio Marsh before.
The Roderick Alleyn looks very interesting.
Thanks!

ContinentalOp

New in Town
jdbenson said:
Dashiel Hammet runs the course from hard boiled (Red Harvest & Maltese Falcon) to erudite and sophisticated (The Thin Man). You can't go wrong.

I'm also a fan. There's a collection of his short stories, "The Continental Op," that I believe predate his full-length novels. I need to go dust off my copy and re-read as it's been quite some time since I've read it.

I also like Ross McDonald. I've only read a couple of his books, but if you're interested in more of a "psychological" approach to hard-boiled fiction his books should meet your needs.

For more current writers, my favorites usually revolve around Lee Child, Robert Crais, and Barry Eisler.

Lee Child writes a series about a former Army CID investigator who wanders around the country and finds himself in a variety of situations. The character can be quite rough at times (for example, in one story he shoots a bad guy in the head...as a diversion), but lives by a strict code of honor.

Robert Crais is probably best known for writing "Hostage," which was made into the movie starring Bruce Willis. His series featuring Elvis Cole and Joe Pike is reminiscent of Robert B. Parker's Spencer series (which is also good), and is among my favorite series.

Barry Eisler has a series featuring John Rain, a Special Forces and CIA trained Japanese-American hitman who specializes in making his hits look like death by natural causes. Probably more of a political intrigue/action type of story.

pgoat

One Too Many
The older Ian Fleming Bond books

Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

Odessa File and Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

pgoat

One Too Many
Corto said:
Speaking of fascinating, the Brother Cadfael books look absolutely intriguing. I love historical fiction, especially if it's painstakingly researched, which these books seem to be. I'm also an Anglophile, so that's another plus. THANKS!

Btw, I know this is for books, but the Cadfael adaptions starring Derek Jacobi are very well done. Thye're on DVD but PBS shows 'em from time to time on their mystery slots.

Mike Hammer

New in Town
I'm a big fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe.[ BTW, for my money the TV series is first rate. It's done like a small theater troupe, with the main characters always played by the same folks, and the secondary roles are played by a small group of recurring actors/actresses in different roles for each show. The series is available on DVD. (some great outfits and hats, too. Bonus!)]

I also like the Alphabet series, the Lee Child "Jack Reacher" series and the Kathy Reich "Tempe Brennan"/"Bones" series. (The "Bones" series is MUCH better the the TV show).

Oh, and Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer stories, of course.:D

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Mike Hammer said:
I'm a big fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe.[ BTW, for my money the TV series is first rate. It's done like a small theater troupe, with the main characters always played by the same folks, and the secondary roles are played by a small group of recurring actors/actresses in different roles for each show. The series is available on DVD. (some great outfits and hats, too. Bonus!)]

Big thumbs up on this. I'm reading Stout's Wolfe novels in order and having a great time with that project. I'm also watching the entire TV series and agree that it is terrific fun both dramatically and sartorially. The repertory troupe concept is unusual for television and is a delightful touch.

Not only do I want to dress like Timothy Hutton's Archie Goodwin, I even find myself walking like him. He has this jaunty way of stepping and swinging his arms that just radiates confidence and fun. :)

RedPop4

One Too Many
pgoat said:
The older Ian Fleming Bond books

Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

Odessa File and Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
HEY!!!!!!!
How'd you get inside my head?;)

Cadfael is simply magnificent. I re-read the entire series every summer.

The Day of the Jackal and The Odessa File are riveting thrillers. I think I need to dig out my copies and reread them. The Fourth Protocol is also a great read. All three were turned into first rate films, faithful to the novels. Forsyth is good that way.

Jeffrey Archer's A Matter of Honor is another thriller along the same lines, and would have made a fantastic film as well. I'm not a movie person, overall, but I'd pay to see that.

Kermez

A-List Customer
Patrick Murtha said:
Big thumbs up on this. I'm reading Stout's Wolfe novels in order and having a great time with that project. I'm also watching the entire TV series and agree that it is terrific fun both dramatically and sartorially. The repertory troupe concept is unusual for television and is a delightful touch.

Not only do I want to dress like Timothy Hutton's Archie Goodwin, I even find myself walking like him. He has this jaunty way of stepping and swinging his arms that just radiates confidence and fun.

Nice. Very nice. :eusa_clap

You could very well be Da Man. :D

I, too, have read all the Nero Wolfe books, in order.

I am strongly considering doing it again.

Soon.

Haversack

One Too Many
I also enjoy the Nero Wolfe series as well as Mr Stout's other books. (My wife is the real mystery fan in the family. She introduced them to me.) Similarly, she introduced me to the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. These are set in 1920s Melbourne and the protagonist is a wealthy upper class Australian woman rather like a female Lord Peter Whimsy. What I particularly enjoy about the books is that they delve into the various ethnic groups and subcultures that make up Melbourne.

On my own, however, I have found and greatly enjoy the Mamur Zapt series by Michael Pearce. These are set in pre-to-early WWI Egypt. The protagonist is a young British officer seconded to the government of the Khedive to serve as the head of the secret police. Again, this is a world with a complex mixture of cultures with which the author creates entertaining and informative mystery/thrillers. Historical events and persons which continue to influence current affairs are skillfully woven in. The author grew up in the Sudan and Egypt, and it shows.

For those who enjoyed _The Man Called Intrepid_, I recommend the recent book, _The Irregulars_ by Jennet Conant. This is about the author, Roald Dahl, (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, et al), and his activities in wartime Washington D.C. working for the Canadian whose code name was Intrepid. Some great insights into perception management and the "interesting wartime experiences" of some of the people who created modern advertising in the 1950s and '60s.

Haversack.

just_me

Practically Family
I love mysteries.

Agatha Christie
Ngaio Marsh
Martha Grimes
M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth series)
Dorothy Sayers
Diane Mott Davidson
Lawrence Sanders
Stuart Woods
Janet Evanovich
Linda Barnes

There are more, but I can't think of them right now.

carter

I'll Lock Up
just_me said:
I love mysteries.

Agatha Christie
Ngaio Marsh
Martha Grimes
M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth series)
Dorothy Sayers
Diane Mott Davidson
Lawrence Sanders
Stuart Woods
Janet Evanovich
Linda Barnes

There are more, but I can't think of them right now.
I think you'd like the Inspector Banks Mysteries by Peter Robinson .

kyda

One of the Regulars
Agatha Christie and Tom Clancy are good for Murder and Espionage. Cathy Rice is also good for murder, but she does not grab me as much as the other two.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Has anyone read Donna Leon's "Guido Brunetti" mystery series? The first one is "Death At the Fenice." They take place in Venice and reflect realistic Venetian life. Brunetti is a good man and fullly realized on the page.

Also Trevanian's "Shibumi" is a great read; a parody, but not when you're 12, which was when I read it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles