Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What defines the 50's men's suit?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I'm looking to build a 50's vintage gentleman's wardrobe (vs. rockabilly style) and I need some tips on finding a good men's suit. I am specifically looking for new. Can I buy a suit from a regular men's store (2-for-1 in the States!)? What am I looking for? How will it differ from the modern slim lapel look? Are there makers of reproduction 50's suits? Also, if anyone has a good online reference for this period, please include a link in your reply. Thank you in advance.

Brevetti

New in Town
I, too, really like the 1950s look, as it is easier to pull off than the pre-war look, and I've never had any luck with finding real vintage suits. Just looking at pictures, 1950s suits seem rather similar to what can be found on today's market. Two-piece suits really began to become popular in this period. Jackets from the mid-'50s have wide lapels, but they were beginning to thin out from the Bold Look. Pants are cut high, with pleats, and usually cuffed bottoms. I have all my suits equipped with suspender buttons, for that proper drape and height. Ties were also thinner in that time period. I see a lot with stripes, or some type of minimal design, though Art Deco was not uncommon. I usually wear a white shirt with my suits, as it is really the standard.

I cannot speak for suits, but looking at their website, I like what mybabyjo.com has. I have heard good things about them, here on the Lounge. Magnoli Clothiers has a nice selection of suits from movies, and the owner is a fellow Fedora Lounge member. Try looking at pictures of what you want, and see if he can help you out with reproducing it.

Keep the mindset of a gentleman, and pay attention to details. Wear a hat, if you don't already, and understand the proper etiquette behind it. Try a pocket square, and look at eBay listings and the Classifieds for period jewelry, such as cufflinks, tie bars, and collar pins.

I also would like to find a company that accurately reproduces clothing from that era, as it is very stylish, and wouldn't really look too out of place in our modern world. If another Fedora Lounger member knows of one, please inform me. I'm not really an expert on the subject, Mr. Shapiro, but I hope I've helped you out a little bit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

I, too, really like the 1950s look, as it is easier to pull off than the pre-war look, and I've never had any luck with finding real vintage suits. Just looking at pictures, 1950s suits seem rather similar to what can be found on today's market. Two-piece suits really began to become popular in this period. Jackets from the mid-'50s have wide lapels, but they were beginning to thin out from the Bold Look. Pants are cut high, with pleats, and usually cuffed bottoms. I have all my suits equipped with suspender buttons, for that proper drape and height. Ties were also thinner in that time period. I see a lot with stripes, or some type of minimal design, though Art Deco was not uncommon. I usually wear a white shirt with my suits, as it is really the standard.

I cannot speak for suits, but looking at their website, I like what mybabyjo.com has. I have heard good things about them, here on the Lounge. Magnoli Clothiers has a nice selection of suits from movies, and the owner is a fellow Fedora Lounge member. Try looking at pictures of what you want, and see if he can help you out with reproducing it.

Keep the mindset of a gentleman, and pay attention to details. Wear a hat, if you don't already, and understand the proper etiquette behind it. Try a pocket square, and look at eBay listings and the Classifieds for period jewelry, such as cufflinks, tie bars, and collar pins.

I also would like to find a company that accurately reproduces clothing from that era, as it is very stylish, and wouldn't really look too out of place in our modern world. If another Fedora Lounger member knows of one, please inform me. I'm not really an expert on the subject, Mr. Shapiro, but I hope I've helped you out a little bit.

Yes, you helped me tremendously and saved me countless hours of unnecessary research. I already have a 1950's Jules Jurgensen 18k gold watch that I inherited from my father (who inherited the watch from my grandfather). I will check out that website. I agree with you that the 50's look is more casual than the 30's, but a lot dressier than today and you can dress 50's without people thinking you're obviously dressing vintage. As a shy person, I really don't want the attention.

D

Deleted member 16736

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Research isn't unnecessary. It is fun! Don't you enjoy looking at all the pictures? Dinerman already made the afford to list the important threads. Just don't call it work :)

Well I like to add on the pants: They have a full cut but are pegged at the bottom.

I would say you could decide for the earlythat the early 50s (Bold look) suits look or the slimmer mid to end 50s suits (described by Brevetti)

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Two button suits prevailed during this time period, although some were three button as well. Patch (besomed) pockets on the jackets were common, generally being ventless or single vented with a boxy shape you will not find on a modern suit. The shoulder pads helped this look immensely as well.

Lapel sizes changed through the decade, with wider (and sometimes peaked, but not very often) lapels from 1950-54ish to narrower lapels from 55-59.

Trousers had dropped belt loops with around a 12" rise and almost always 9 1/2" leg opening with a 1 3/4" cuff.

I own many original 1950s suits from all parts of the decade, and a modern suit will never look like an original. The cut and fabrics are just too different.

D

Deleted member 16736

Not to get too sidetracked, but research involves a lot more than just looking at pictures. And yes, sometimes it is drudgery when you just have a simple question that doesn't seem to be answered in a simple way anywhere else. Also, pictures aren't always worth a 1000 words. That's why the insights from the Lounge members are so invaluable to me.

Back to the subject at hand, here's a suit worn in a very dashing way by none other than the TV Superman, George Reeves. This is from The Mutineers (1949). I think I like the late 40's to early 50's bold lapel look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-George-Reeves-Mutineers-VINTAGE-PHOTO-153s-/200533266055

And looking just as dapper without the tie:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/?item=380267222283

Last edited by a moderator:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
You can get modern jackets which have the same lapel size/shape as 50s ones, but the shoulders are nearly always wrong. 50s suits tended to have very "strong" shoulders. Not necessarily heavily padded but they just create a strong silhouette somehow. Modern trousers are also rarely high enough, although it is fairly easy to get authentic looking ones custom made as they just have to be high-waisted with pleats, cuffs and wide legs.

If you want a reasonably cheap way of getting 50s inspired suits, then many suits from the 80s and 90s look the part. The best option is just to go vintage though as 50s suits aren't as sought after as earlier suits on ebay so they tend to go cheaper usually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy