Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you do in the war Daddy...?

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Oh yes I know it was the second flag raising.

You say you knew it was the second flag raising. . . then how can you claim earlier that you knew, firsthand, it wasn't staged? YOu really can't have it both ways.

@medici

As for "One of he first 'photoshopped' photos," unless you are joking, sorry, have to call bullsh*t on that too.

The name is "airbrushing," it had been done since the '60s, the 1860s; a "photoshop" is a place you go to have your pictures printed photographically, you know, the stuff that doesn't bleed ink when it gets wet :p

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
You say you knew it was the second flag raising. . . then how can you claim earlier that you knew, firsthand, it wasn't staged? YOu really can't have it both ways.

@medici

As for "One of he first 'photoshopped' photos," unless you are joking, sorry, have to call bullsh*t on that too.

The name is "airbrushing," it had been done since the '60s, the 1860s; a "photoshop" is a place you go to have your pictures printed photographically, you know, the stuff that doesn't bleed ink when it gets wet :p

Are you serious? Research the story behind both flag raisings, it wasn't a staged photo. Hell a forum member just stated he had talked to the actual photographer who took the picture and the photographer stated getting the image was merely by chance, right place right time. Trust me, coming from someone who gets to teach recruits on Parris Island Marine Corps history I know what I am talking about, it wasn't staged.

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
@medici

I am perfectly aware of that, that is why I used the word in quotation marks. I happen to have a lot of recpect for historical facts, and the story about the photo was told to us (university students) by our professor, in a class about mass media and propaganda. This particular photo was the example. The soldier wore two watches because he had obviously stolen one from somewhere, so this was not exactly the soviet hero they wanted. But the photo was great so they took care of the watch. I haven't researched the story my self, it's my professor's word and it's been years since I've heared the story. If anyone knows otherwise I'll be happy to learn. I apologize profoundly for the bad choice of words. However, I think everyone in here understands that photoshop is a very modern thing. I didn't realize I had to be so careful...

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you serious? Research the story behind both flag raisings, it wasn't a staged photo. Hell a forum member just stated he had talked to the actual photographer who took the picture and the photographer stated getting the image was merely by chance, right place right time. Trust me, coming from someone who gets to teach recruits on Parris Island Marine Corps history I know what I am talking about, it wasn't staged.

Hi

From reading Flags or Our Fathers, I seem to remember that the monument photograph of the flag raising was a hip shot (more or less). The Marines raised the flag before he raised the camera. The photographer didn't realize what he had at all, but the guys who developed it did. I would hesitate getting into a staged / not staged argument here. The second flag raising was to get the "historically important first flag raised over Iwo Jima" back to the Marine Headquarters in Washington DC. The Photographer(s) went to the top of the mountain to get a picture of the first flag, and the Marines raising the second one. Obviously the flag raising wasn't important though since all of the flag raising team went back into combat and if memory serves, half were killed.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner