Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I do with short hair?

GracieRose

New in Town
My hair is thinning and fine (damn heredity), and I keep it short so it doesn't look so thin. . .

Any ideas on what I can do to get a 40's look with not much hair???

Thanks

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
GracieRose, although I am no expert in 1940s hair, I came across this short 40s styles which are cute and may be you can recreate.
Hope this help.

40shair_0012.jpg
article-page-main_ehow_images_a08_1d_81_short-womens-haircuts-1940s-800x800.jpg
img091enh.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Those are cute! I went through a period like this too (bad haircut.) I used to sweep the entire thing back and fluff up the bangs, much like the third picture.

ETA: Here is a page from 1940's Hairstyles on short hair.

shorthair.jpg

Last edited:

ryanc

Familiar Face
hello i specialize in pre 60s hair. where do you notice the most thinning? did it happen after 30? well even if the biggest thing you want to do is not use anything too wet looking or anything that is going to combine strands of hair together wich will leave gaps and show your scalp. how long is your short hair, a little longer than finger length? or chin length, or shoulder length?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have worn my hair short for years. How short is your hair - chin length, nape, pixie? I've run the gamut from pixie short to neck-length bob over the past 5 years. If it is long enough to set on rollers, I would try a wet set. That always works well for me. Otherwise, if it is too short for that, you could possibly fake some finger waves. Really short hair is tough for 1940s... you could always try a 20s shingle, though!

Ryan - are you a hairdresser? I'm in Fort Worth as well and would love to talk with you if you are!

Isabel

New in Town
I thought a cool short hair cut would be nice. straight short, make it black or brown, shows more wise and confident

vintageTink

One Too Many
I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner; you can get the generic Nutri-ox from Sally's. The spray-in stuff does make the hair feel thicker for styling.
My hair is baby fine and will not grow. I started using this and my hair has grown half an inch in two months. Usually my hair doesn't grow but maybe three, yes, THREE inches per year. I got a pixie cut last year and my hair is barely to my jawline now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner