Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What fedora or homburg or other hat or non-beret hat for casual wear

memphislawyer

Practically Family
My wife thinks I look old-mannish when wearing a driving cap/beret/skull cap/whatever it is called. I have a charcoal grey Stetson Saxon I use for suits, and an Akubra something or other in the middle brown hue with a wider brim than the Stetson that I use when I am on the weekends, khaki or something calling for brown (though I have not worn it with blue suits).

Tonight, it was 44 degrees outside, misty and dank/damp. Wore black chinos, loafers, grey cowl-neck sweater and a black peacoat. Stetson would look out of place, and so would the brown Akubra. Dont want a formal look and I am thinking a black fedora or homburg or something would work better. The greyish beret she did not like.

So, I went to Jos A Bank and the hats they have on sale are, well, just dont like the look. Dont know that I want leather band on the outside and I am thinking perhaps a simple crushable wool hat, fedora or homburg, would be a good all-purpose hat.

Suggestions and links perhaps, maybe $50 budget>

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I like the Jaxon ivy caps from Village Hat Shop. They're under $20, and they can be casual AND sporty with jeans, button down dress shirt (untucked), and dark dress shoes.

You have to "own" the look. Let people around you know that you're the bad ass in the room to wear something like that and look good at it.

Make a statement! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Like has been said before, you must own the look. You can take the worst of hats, and pull them off. Just wear it like it is a part of you.

For example, here is a photo is myself wearing a 1930s Stetson as a casual hat.

00714.jpg

Just try anything that can go with your attire. If you wish, you can make an add in the Classifieds telling what you are looking for, and your current budget, and you could even score a great deal! Even try e-bay. Also, I have a cap similar to these. They are super casual.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Wow, two great posts. Went to the village hat shop. Looked at crushable hats. We have a store in Memphis, Mr. Hats and his prices on some of the hats are cheaper

I was looking at some Bailey crushable wools, and Jaxon brands at village hat shop.

My Akubra is called a stylemaster.

Thinking a Derby would not look right with leather jacket, or wool pea coat or navy blue wool overcoat.

A trilby, or another fedora or homburg?

A few pics are in order so you can see what I look like, though I no longer have the goatee

P3100324-1.jpg

P3100323.jpg

P3190368-1.jpg

Oh, the hat from Jos A Bank I wore is like a newsboy. They have like 70% off a couple of fedoras, but one has a leather band and that is not me. I love my Stylemaster for kicking around on the weekend, and when I wear my suede coat, great. Probably should have gotten another grey in that for more versatile. I dont think it looks right with a black coat,

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Here is an additional "casual look" thread revived a few months ago...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?42762-Pulling-Off-the-Casual-Look

Here are some nice inexpensive ivy caps...

http://www.villagehatshop.com/ivy-caps.html

One of my fedoras w/ jeans, sport coat, and a v-neck shirt...

photo2-11.jpg

Another fedora in a track jacket (jeans and sneakers not visible)...

63436C3F-orig.jpg

Ivy cap w/ a McLaren F1 team jersey (and jeans)...

41F44AA9-orig_zpsa9e73409.jpg

You have a lot of taper on your Stylemaster. One thing you might want to try is adjusting the crease on your hat. If you try a diamond crease it will reduce the taper and widen (and straighten) the top of the crown a little. That might be better for your facial features. I prefer a tall crown, but that's just my taste. IMHO, don't buy a wool hat. I used to own a $75 wool Bailey that I ended up giving away to a friend, because I didn't like how it compared to a vintage fur felt fedora.

You can find a vintage fur felt fedora for $50, and it will be a much better quality than a wool fedora. Night and day. Quite frankly, a vintage fedora will be better quality than your modern Saxon, as well. That was another hat that I almost bought, but as I read countless threads and browsed the classifieds and ebay, I realized how much better vintage hats were. I can't afford a new custom hat every month, so I take my time and I keep searching for the ones that I like. Slowly, but surely, I'm growing my collection of great hats that I wear every day. Literally.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Check out the Dillards at Oak Court. They should have a few Stetsons for you to try on.
Better yet head to Covington and see Mike Moore.

Living in the Memphis area would make that trip to Covington a necessity, I would think.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Alive: Thank you for the post on the Stylemaster. I dont know that I feel good enough to try it on my own. IF anyone is in Memphis and wants to meet up to make the needed mod to it, let me know.

Yes, I found Mr. Hats in Memphis before I found the Fedora Lounge. Part of it was that I trust my wife and that was my first hat and I wanted her opinion as far as shape and color. And I wanted to be fit right. I dont regret getting it and since I think it is well made (and a bit on the heavier side), I dont mind. The Akubra was my second, and the Panama Bob hat I got was my third.

Went to Jps. A Bank. They had some western-like fedoras, and one crushable fedora. 70% off meant $19 each. My wife does not like the look of the ivy/newsboy/english driving caps look on me.

Went to Mr. Hats and tried on the Baileys, a Wynn model and a Yates model. The Yates felt better, and the wife of Mr. Lansky thought the wider brim in front looked better of the two. I did not like the brown/merlot color of the leather band, so they swapped it for a black ribbon and a Bailey pin. $65 with tax. Now, it is a wool model, true.

I did try on some Borsalinos and Stetsons and the felt softer, not as rigid, as my Stetson. $145 or so, not bad. Maybe once I learn what shape is truly best on me, and size brim, Ill venture into the classifieds and ebay for vintage. This hat felt good to be running around today, 50ish, in jeans and a black courdory shirt.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I would drive down and see Mike and Buckaroo Hats for sure. Mike is a great hatter and can show you all the styles and types of hats so you can make a great choice. buckaroo hatters and Mike makes all kind of hat's so don't let the cowboy scare you a way.:D

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
It sounds like you're happy with the purchase, and there is no substitute for that. :thumb: I bought a hat from Mr. H about 10 years ago over the phone. They were very helpful. Glad you're enjoying the hat, your next one will be even better!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Alive, you said to do this: You have a lot of taper on your Stylemaster. One thing you might want to try is adjusting the crease on your hat. If you try a diamond crease it will reduce the taper and widen (and straighten) the top of the crown a little. That might be better for your facial features

Ill post a new thread on that

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hardly necessary.

Although a diamond crease is easy to make from a center dent. Just push put one finger into each side of the dent and pull out. It'll make the sides stand up straighter and make a really cool top crease. You (memphislawyer) also might want to tighten up that front pinch a touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff