Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What good is a hat?

geckoheart

Familiar Face
I was working in the yard this evening while wearing my "beach" Montecristi that I received for father's day. Apparently, wasps don't like it when you pick up the piece of plactic with their home attached to it. :eek: Had one tag me on the elbow, a second fly into the lower side of the brim and then tag me next to my ear, and a third tagged me on the thigh. Three others went for the top of the hat. Glad it was there, instead of my bald head!!!

The hat was also used to fling wildly through the air as I ran across the yard to get away from the rest of the wasps that were awakened. Luckily no one saw anything.

Hats are for sun protection and keeping unwanted yard critters off of your head. lol lol

Doh!

One Too Many
This has nothing to do with hats, but when I was a kid I once dug into a hive of yellow jackets that proceeded to swarm my leg. I was stung at least 10 times, and my mom put Accent meat tenderizer on the stings to lessen their venomous effect. If memory serves, she mixed it with a bit of water and made a paste, then pulled out the stingers.

It worked like a charm.

Edward

Bartender
Ha ha, yeah - you can't beat a hat when you've lost the hair! Sadly, it's only in the last couple of years that I've become interested in the retro scene - 50s for casual, 20s/30s through 50s for formal wear! - too late to do anything period with my hair. I'd have loved a quiff, but I've thinned enough on top that by the time I grew out the fringe long enough to give me one, well.... whatever way you cut it, it'd still be a sweepover! :eek: I've gone for the full head shave a la Yul Brynner... hats seem to really set off the retro look that bit better.... and they keep the sun off, warmth in, and bugs off too as you've discovered!

Surprising, too, how well all the ladies even away from the whole retro scene respond to a guy who knows how to wear a hat...!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes...

Yesterday I got my head shaved.
Today I went out briefly without a hat
and bent over into my cactus patch.
Got a nice patch of prickley pear glochids
(those fuzzy little spines) in my forehead,
just above the hat line.

I hope I learned something.

Edward

Bartender
feltfan said:
Yesterday I got my head shaved.
Today I went out briefly without a hat
and bent over into my cactus patch.
Got a nice patch of prickley pear glochids
(those fuzzy little spines) in my forehead,
just above the hat line.

I hope I learned something.

Ouch! Yeah, you'll learn fast..... like I did how to shave round the ears without slicing myself! ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Twitch said:
Amazing how a story like this sounds so humorouslol ....when it didn't happen to you.:eek:
That's why we like the Stooges. ;)

3stooges.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wasps (among other creatures) are also atrracted to white clothing, or light clothing. That is one thing that may have saved the rest of your body!

And it is also something I used to my advantage when, after having been stung over 30 times by yellow jacket wasps last year while mowing, I reeked havoc on their colony killing them all.

I placed a bright lamp in front of their nest (snugly resting between to pieces of lumber) at night when they were sleeping, sprayed the entrance with wasp foam and kicked the lumber. When they came out to attack, the immediately went for the light and burned up. The ones that didn't burn were poisoned by the spray. All the rest were burned with gas and a match.

I show no quarter.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Undertow said:
Wasps (among other creatures) are also atrracted to white clothing, or light clothing. That is one thing that may have saved the rest of your body!

And it is also something I used to my advantage when, after having been stung over 30 times by yellow jacket wasps last year while mowing, I reeked havoc on their colony killing them all.

I placed a bright lamp in front of their nest (snugly resting between to pieces of lumber) at night when they were sleeping, sprayed the entrance with wasp foam and kicked the lumber. When they came out to attack, the immediately went for the light and burned up. The ones that didn't burn were poisoned by the spray. All the rest were burned with gas and a match.

I show no quarter.

Damn :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff