Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Happened to Florsheim?

South

One of the Regulars
I remember seeing Florsheim stores years ago, but never see those shoes any more. I see references to "old" Florsheims here and have seen them sold online, but don't see folks talking about current models.

Are they not what they used to be? Are they made in China, now?

Thanks.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
Don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you that IMHO the Florsheim Imperial was once one of the finest shoes one could own. Lasted for years.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I've seen Florsheim cited in marketing circles as a classic example of the diluting of a luxury brand. Florsheims were regarded as very high quality shoes and cost quite a pretty penny in their hay day. As time passed, the company sacrificed high price points to increase sales, but had to lower quality to do so.

As a short-term strategy, this worked quite well because of the brand's reputation, but in the long-term, it rarely does. Consumers wise-up after a decade or so and look elsewhere. The Florsheim name has changed hands, at least once, and have not been manufactured in the USA for quite some time.

Some other examples of golden era luxury brand dilution are, Bulova and Cadillac.

anon`

One Too Many
Does the US even have shoemakers aside from AE and Alden at this point? I would certainly consider those the only domestic options when speaking of high-end dress shoes, though worthy competitors can be found overseas as well.

Florsheim shoes still turn up rather often at places like Nordstrom Rack. Most suck. The Imperial doesn't appear to suck quite as much, but I've never run across one in a style I'd be caught dead wearing. At least it was fully lined in leather. On the other hand, I've heard horror stories of the finish on the uppers cracking and flaking off... after a period of months.

I think Guttersnipe more or less hit it square on. As with any PQ curve, markets will always adjust their assumptions and cause a permanent shift of the curve after a period of simple movement along it. Very hard to undo such a shift.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
anon` said:
. . . As with any PQ curve, markets will always adjust their assumptions and cause a permanent shift of the curve after a period of simple movement along it. Very hard to undo such a shift.

The only example I can think of, off the top of my head, is BMW. Post war BMW manufactured unremarkable economy cars, which while being reliable, were decidedly not "sexy," and only marginally more romantic than VW's offerings. It wasn't until the later 60's that BMW began its journey back towards having a reputation for performance.

And now back to shoes. . .

Widebrim said:
Although never a high-end shoe manufacturer, Stacy Adams is another example of a respected name (especially in the Black community) which has gone by the wayside, with shoes now being made in China.

So true about Stacy Adam's. They were never considered a high-end or luxury brand, but did enjoy a reputation for making a quality shoe that most folks could afford. The brand still benefits from a certain level of "old time" prestige, much in the same way that Florsheim did for quite a while.

The vintage Stacy Adam's I've seen are really well made!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have Florsheim Imperials that are only a few years old. They are Florsheim Imperial Long Wing Kenmoor wingtips, black, solid as a rock. No complaints at all. I bought them new for about $225, 3-4 years ago.

I have a pair of older vintage Florsheim saddle shoes, oxblood and black. Very nice, very sturdy, but these may be from the period when Florsheims were made in the USA. I found them in a thrift store for $6.

pipvh

Practically Family
Possibly my favourite shoes of all time were a pair of 1950s Florsheim wingtips I inherited from my wife's grandad. Every bit as good as old Church's or Loake. Unfortunately my Bouvier puppy thought so too, and devoured them. I found a pair of almost unworn 1980s Imperial wingtips in a thrift store for $10 a couple of years ago and they too are extremely nice, though as they have yet to be nibbled by any dogs, perhaps not quite as nice as the old ones.

It has to be said that I haven't had the best of luck with dogs and shoes. A Rottweiler tried to eat a pair of McAffees I was fond of - while they were still on my feet. Robust construction saved me a fair bit of bother (and blood)...

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Guttersnipe Some other examples of golden era luxury brand dilution are said:
Couldnt be more right. My parents run a cleaning company and used to clean Audette Cadillac in Farmington Hills, Michigan. Frank and Frank Jr ran the place since its opening, and most of the cars in the showroom were unlocked. I sat in the latest convertible, which cost $85,000, and was full of plastic. It was hardly my idea of a luxury car. I think very few true luxury car companies still exist.

Not even the European brands can do what they did 50 years ago.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Florsheim Shoes is owned by the firm that owned Weyenberg Shoe Company (WEYCO) who are the sons of Florsheim who left the old man to do their own thing (family dispute I believe) then bought Florsheim when it went bust a few years ago.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Guttersnipe said:
I've seen Florsheim cited in marketing circles as a classic example of the diluting of a luxury brand. Florsheims were regarded as very high quality shoes and cost quite a pretty penny in their hay day. As time passed, the company sacrificed high price points to increase sales, but had to lower quality to do so.

As a short-term strategy, this worked quite well because of the brand's reputation, but in the long-term, it rarely does. Consumers wise-up after a decade or so and look elsewhere. The Florsheim name has changed hands, at least once, and have not been manufactured in the USA for quite some time.

Some other examples of golden era luxury brand dilution are, Bulova and Cadillac.
In the USA at least, where we're so trend-oriented, I would think a high quality OR luxury brand would almost always be downgraded over time. The brands that survive the best in America are strictly bread & butter ones - Coke, Ivory, Ford, Levi's...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
In the USA at least, where we're so trend-oriented, I would think a high quality OR luxury brand would almost always be downgraded over time. The brands that survive the best in America are strictly bread & butter ones - Coke, Ivory, Ford, Levi's...

I think Levi's has downgraded rather dramatically.

They don't make their jeans in the US any more, and they are far from the dominant brand they once were.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:

Amen brother. Mediocrity is the standard. What is sad is that we are satisfied to have it so be.

Argee

One of the Regulars
The pair I picked up at their outlet store here is made in China. They feel fine now, but I had to do a bit of surgery on the rear seam on one after I got it to remove a small lump that was killing my heel. At least I can wear them without pain now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo