• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Featured What Hat Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Nathaniel Finley

Nathaniel Finley One of the Regulars

That seems to be some serious German in this advertisement. What’s your opinion, Mayser, is this difficult language? I can’t see this being meant for the typical working class of the time.

Here’s my translation:

At the top it says it won a bunch of golden medals across Germany, then there’s the logo and then it says, according to my clumsy translation:

“The lightest and
    most elegant stiff
    gentleman’s hat never before
    matched. The trademark
    is born permanently in
    gold lettering on the
    sweatband.
    -Wonderful ventilation
    from a new system.-
    On hand in the finest
    hat stores
    at home and abroad.

I’m not even sure if this translation is quite right - the funny grammar makes this advert quite challenging. At least these days i’ve only heard very educated Germans use this kind of grammar. This seems to be an interesting artifact of the class system in 19th century Germany - quite a difference from the typical American vintage hat advertisements I’m familiar with. It doesn’t even list a price!

Thank you for sharing this!

2. mmbarnes

mmbarnes My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks D.

Redfokker and Michael R. like this.
  3. mmbarnes

Fantastic Bill. Yeah... those colors are awesome, and then some. Scott does such a great job on those conversions.

Redfokker, Bill Hughes and Michael R. like this.
  4. mmbarnes

I do believe that of all your hats, that is the one I covet the most. You don't see those colors on homburgs very much. Just exquisite.

5. mmbarnes

I've been out of the office having to pretend to be a grown-up way too much this week. Happily, this morning is the last one. I'm wearing the blue Dobbs Fifteen for the occasion.

I hope that each of you have a fun Thursday full of great hats. 20171207_072332-picsay.jpg 20171207_072346-picsay.jpg 20171207_072338-picsay.jpg 20171207_072225-picsay.jpg 20171207_072234-picsay.jpg 20171207_072244-picsay.jpg 20171207_072246-picsay.jpg

Rogera, Zombie_61, Wesslyn and 25 others like this.
  6. Monsivais cap[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rogera, Zombie_61, Wesslyn and 22 others like this.
  7. Michael A

Michael A Call Me a Cab

Thanks Red. I'm not normally that attracted to this sort of crease, but on this hat it seems just right. I changed it once or twice and always went right back to this one. The shape and the long hair just seem to work together. I still have no good clues as to what fur the cap is. But I can attest to it's warmth. I had to stand around outside waiting for 45 minutes earlier this week when there was a 25 mph wind blowing with the occasional flake of snow streaking by and it kept my head and ears nice and toasty.

Thanks,
    Michael

8. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

Hat-Peters Brothers-LC Rabbit 0.jpg
    Peters Brothers this morning.

9. msoliday

msoliday Familiar Face

Inky black Kitten Finish Beaver Twenty Five Resistol on this chilly Wisconsin morning. The felt on this hat is simply incredible! Enjoy.

-Mike

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogera, Zombie_61, Wesslyn and 22 others like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    VS

11. T Jones

T Jones My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thank you, Red. Maybe we could work something out.

Zombie_61, Redfokker and Michael R. like this.
  12. Day with mist and sun that make the temperature pleasant at midday.
    I'm ready for the photo conference tonight
    [​IMG]
    Lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore made in the 50s
    [​IMG]
    Color is "Rutenio" Felt is soft and pliable
    [​IMG]
    This is a very classic "homburg" in proportions with ribbon and finishes on the brim that match the color of the felt
    [​IMG]
    Comes new from Merano, M. Hutter shop, along with some other hat of this shapethat you will see soon
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry I did not let these hats pass by "Post new hat here"...in the near future they will show with more details

Thanks a lot for your likes on the Borsalino heather felt
    Buon Giovedì

Rogera, Zombie_61, Wesslyn and 24 others like this.
  13. Yesterday was New Hat Day, as I took delivery on a recent eBay win.

So far this morning we have a Dobbs Fifteen and a Resistol Twenty-five. I'm coming in with the low bid in this Mallory Ten. The auction photos weren't the best, and I prayed it would clean up nice, but what I received yesterday was beyond what I expected. Fantastic (and very pettable) felt, an interesting dark gray color, sharksgill bow, wind trolley, felt and sweat in great condition, what more can a guy ask for?

Gave it a good steaming and brushing before work and put a quick diamond in it.

Man, I love the smell of steamed vintage felt in the morning!

[​IMG]

GILLS!!

[​IMG]

Cool edge treatment. The binding is wider on the bottom than the top, resulting in this bound and stitched top edge.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'll take better shots when I can for the Mallory thread. It was dark when I got home from work last night, and dark when I got in this morning, so I haven't even seen it in natural light yet.

I wish everybody a Youthfully Smart Thursday!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Rogera, Zombie_61, Wesslyn and 26 others like this.
  14. Desert dog

Desert dog A-List Customer

Wow! What a beauty. The color is really nice, and with that ribbon, is exceptional. You sure did good on that one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. Thanks, DD. Like the man said, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

16. You look great in that Daniele.

Smart and youthful Jim...

17. casechopper

casechopper My Mail is Forwarded Here

Akubra Campdraft

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rogera, Zombie_61, Wesslyn and 18 others like this.
  18. mmbarnes

That is a fantastic Resistol.

A Beaver Twenty homburg of similar vintage hangs out at my house. Its felt is extraordinarily light and supple. I bet the felt on yours is even nicer.

Is that a Cavanagh Edge I spy on that bad boy?

19. mmbarnes

That's a breathtaking hat. Boy, oh boy!
    Extraordinarily great Mallory. The edge is interesting and the color looks wonderful.

Youthfully Brilliant, Jim.

20. msoliday

msoliday Familiar Face

Thanks! Yes, sure is a cav edge. Such a nice hat. It needs me to wear it more often! :)