Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Educate me please. Toppers

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Good afternoon gents,

I've been searching but I'm not finding any useful information. I could use some education on top hats.

I found myself at an event this past weekend and again next week where a top hat would be a welcome addition. I however know next to nothing about them and I'm not finding anything beyond the usual "Hey look at me guys! I r Rich! Hurrrrr!" Type articles or on here the Toppers Unite thread. I don't want to derail that one so I thought I would ask you knowledgeable folks.
What are the things I need to look for in a topper? What are some basics to avoid? What are good sources? My local places only have ratty Topps that can't be restored.
Basically please teach me your ways oh wise Top hatted ones.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
https://www.cappelleriamelegari.com...&language=en&zenid=ho7d9c32lioidl8pufr8rpkda5
Give me some time to take a look at the old documents of Italian hatmaking and then I will try to translate something significant to introduce you to the topic of "Top Hats"
Meanwhile, these are the top hats handcrafted by Melegari hatter in Milan- Italy.
By reading the characteristics of each one you will be able to learn the shapes and felts used.
Some of the materials used have now almost disappeared so if you really feel the need... book a melousine top hat.
However, I have no commercial connection with Melegari

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
That gave me a good bit of reading. I think what I'm wanting to know is how moldable are top hats. I have a long oval head so most hats I need to steam and form to my noggin. Is that an option with top hats? How should they fit? Ride high on the head or screwed down?

Does anyone have any experience with the Akubra toppers?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have no actual knowledge regarding top hats. I assume, however, that, like stiff felt bowlers, they can be a bit more finicky with regards to sizing. I have found length X width measurements seem to get a closer fit for me than circumference sizing.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Where and when are you going to wear it?
I attended a banquet a bit over a week ago where classic dress was nearly mandatory. I also won some Opera tickets and I generally like to be an @$$hole from time to time

milandro

A-List Customer
there are a number of formal occasions in the UK mentioned in the articles above.

However ,the chance ELSEWHERE that one would look overdressed is rather present.

Even at events requiring a white tie few wear a hat.

Morning Dress would have , once upon a time, required a hat too but aside from Ascot, few wear it (although some folks do use one for weddings )

1698046905195.png

1698046961113.png

In the Netherlands , the opening of parliament has seen many wearing a morning dress among the male population of the politicians but none with a top hat (while women sport many hats). Not even the Royals!

Long ago, presenting credentials for ambassadors would have been an occasion to wear a top hat, but that is no longer the case.

Ceremonies at the Sephardic Synagogues require the use of a top hat at the very least for the parnassim (community management).

This is as true in Amsterdam ( Esnoga) as it is in London ( Bevis Marks )

Once upon a time it was the tricorn

Top hats survive (in their lower version for the most part), in the world of Horseriding in sports such as Dressage

look at the Dutch King Willem Alexander NOT wearing a Top Hat at the opening of the Dutch Parliament while wearing one at Ascot

Incidentally, I don't like this top Hat which looks rather tubby and short and a little too big, certainly NOT made of silk

1698065678705.png

1698065704723.png

1698066225287.png

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
If you would consider an alternative, may I suggest a Cambridge bowler. Tall-ish, straight sides with a flat top. Most people think it is a topper but with the soft shoulders and without the shine of the silk, it strikes a good balance between the uber-formal and the day-to-day. It is a formal hat, no doubt, but I find it fits many occasions where a top hat would be out of place. As mentioned above, Mike Miller at Northwest Hats is a master at such creations.

20210610_083737.jpg 20210609_180233.jpg 20210609_180204.jpg 20210609_180038.jpg 20211026_064535.jpg 20210610_083802.jpg 20231023_084609.jpg

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
If you would consider an alternative, may I suggest a Cambridge bowler. Tall-ish, straight sides with a flat top. Most people think it is a topper but with the soft shoulders and without the shine of the silk, it strikes a good balance between the uber-formal and the day-to-day. It is a formal hat, no doubt, but I find it fits many occasions where a top hat would be out of place. As mentioned above, Mike Miller at Northwest Hats is a master at such creations.

View attachment 554507 View attachment 554512 View attachment 554513 View attachment 554515 View attachment 554519 View attachment 554521 View attachment 554524
I was wondering what those were called! I saw a picture of you wearing it a while back and loved it. I didn't have a need so I didn't save the picture. Thank you for posting this! I do like the looks of it!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Mike can make them as tall, or as short, as you want.

I was wondering what those were called! I saw a picture of you wearing it a while back and loved it. I didn't have a need so I didn't save the picture. Thank you for posting this! I do like the looks of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner