Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

What to wear to Barbie? Why a Brighton Rainleigh, of course. Interesting waterproof machine made straw that had a brief run during the depression era. A gently used railway ticket was discovered under the sweatband.
082023_1.jpg

082023_7.jpg

082023_3.jpg

082023_5.jpg

082023_2.jpg

082023_4.jpg

082023_6.jpg

Amazing line-up!
What a fabulous, eclectic selection, Stefan. Sunday wouldn't be Sunday without church and Steur's hats. What's my choice? The Dunlap, for no better reason than it's colour, and ribbon colour, would have complimented today's blazer.
View attachment 541459
We have had a busy morning, awake later than planned, a bit of a rush to get ready for church, but we made it with five minutes to spare. After leaving church we drove for about an hour, around Salisbury on to Andover where we paid for our motorhome hire. It could have been done online but it's such a lovely sunny day we preferred doing it the old fashioned way. Besides we wouldn't have had the laugh going through the village View attachment 541460 View attachment 541462
where, on our return, we stopped at a rather attractive deli for coffee. Others there wore hats, summer straws mainly, that Dunlap would have stopped the traffic, as it was my lady chose my lid, The felt was a tad warm but the sunshine was so agreeable, who cares?
View attachment 541461
By the way, the motorhome is for the Twinwood Festival, https://twinwoodevents.com/
It seems the deluge has finally turned into a few droplets. Nice to see you in straw after what appeared to be a torrential few weeks (few months?).
Thank you, gentlemen. Yes, after several weeks of rain there was finally a chance to wear straws again. Huzza!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
What to wear to Barbie? Why a Brighton Rainleigh, of course. Interesting waterproof machine made straw that had a brief run during the depression era. A gently used railway ticket was discovered under the sweatband. View attachment 541474

View attachment 541475

View attachment 541479

View attachment 541477

View attachment 541480

View attachment 541478

View attachment 541476
What to wear to Barbie? A Brighton Rainleigh.... and a pink polo, of course!

That is a very cool hat, thanks for showing. Amazing what $2.50 could buy in 1936.

P. & C. Habig Wien - Berlin "Special Qualität" "Auto Cape", probably mid 1930s and weighs 208 grams. The heavier weight is due to the "Auto Cape" insert. In contrast the Stiff Felt from 3 days ago that was missing the "Auto Cape" insert weighs 124 grams. I assume "Auto Cape" was a P. & C. Habig Wien trademark because it's not mentioned in the patent (see below). This Stiff Felt was made for the famous P. & C. Habig Wien Berlin store at Friedrichstrasse 82 that didn't survive WWII.

53128937344_aebb500a74_h.jpg

53129206293_bc8b463cc4_h.jpg

The gray Insert is the "Auto Cape".

53129148165_46b2e84fd0_h.jpg

53128746341_54d0138076_h.jpg

53129208988_4ea5b1a5e4_h.jpg

Austrian Patent "Patent No. 133275" stamped under "P. & C. Habig Auto Cape" (see above). The patent claim is to make a stiff felt hat that is resistant to denting and a insert "Auto Cape" being a part of the invention.

17154041505_f133a64077_h.jpg

16966274858_d22fa61e27_h.jpg

A method for the manufacture of Melone (Stiff Felt).

The present invention relates to a procedure for the manufacture of rigid cap hats of the said form Melonen and resides in that after the flexible molded cap in its classic rounded shape for the bowler it reaches all shares sharply and without folds on an elastic rigid frame.

On others- features of the invention reside in particular artifices of the process in order to obtain the maximum dimensional stability of the hat and also, finally, in the use of special rigid forms.

The manufacture of half-round man hats rigid cap of the said form was Melone to date with chemical known starch such as eg shellac, to give the soft felt hat rounded by molding, so that the edge formed in a suitable manner, a stiffness allowing them indefinitely retain their shape under normal use.

However, the disadvantage of this rigidity conferred as known to the material residing in that when, after mechanical deformation resulting for example from a shock or pressure, it is restored to its original form hat, traces of dented the party remained indefinitely stiff felt it with these points of fracture primers that made it unusable hat, besides, furthermore contour fractures remain after deletion of depression, the cap never fully regained its rounded shape to where it had been dented.

According to the invention, this disadvantage is avoided in that the rigid cap hat, especially where it is exposed to be dented, is made of soft felt and that the rigidity is obtained by means of a resilient inner armature, so that any deformation of the cap leaves no trace in the soft felt, however, that the cap indefinitely retains its rigid form.

The drawing shows a longitudinal section of a Melone manufactured by the method according to the present invention.

After receiving manufacturing, as we know, the usual form, the soft felt hat is molded during shaping on an appropriate form.

This tends form a lattice or an elastic fabric that closely conforms to the shape and is maintained in this position by means of clamping bands marginal.

This mesh or fabric is preferably manufactured in sheets or steel wire bristle strips, rayon, etc., or by a combination of these elements, so that the son of the mesh or fabric free play between them, so that the stiffness obtained by using this lattice by a close fit to the shape clothed significantly resilient character and provides indefinite nondeformable to mechanical tests, that is to say so that the depressions are immediately and automatically erased due to the elasticity of the fabric or mesh.

The form given to the rigid fabric or mesh on the form can be made more steep by shellac, tragacanth, etc.

Above the rigid armature thus obtained whose surface dimensions correspond consequently exactly to the inner surface dimensions of the cover cap to be manufactured, then the cap tends to closely soft felt and without folds on all sides, whereupon permanently fixed frame in its place, preferably by means of leather that is sewn after stroke in the inlet of the cap.

In the drawing, 1 denotes the soft cap of rigid cap H to obtain; 2 denotes the stretched elastic reinforcement within and formed by the fabric or the mesh described above, 3 the point where the resilient armature is supported on the leather 4.

To increase the deformability of the hat can make its more rigid cap at its top by the application of shellac or through inner plates of rubber, this strengthening is reducing in the direction of 1r edge in such a way that rounding ir is in any case consists of soft felt.

Similarly, the lower part of the rotator 1u edge can be stiffened edge upwards as indicated by a starch or internal reinforcement of rubber, this strengthening is reducing in the direction of the party rounded 1r.

Accordingly, the top 1a of the cap so that its bottom edge 1u are stiffened by means of rubber paste or reinforcements and the elastic plate 2, while the rounded 1r of the cap, which is part of more exposed, is kept in shape by the rigid reinforcement 2, this region remains soft felt.

SUMMARY:

1. A method for the manufacture of man Hats rigid cap, characterized in that after having molded the soft cap in its rounded shape is the tendency of all units strongly and wrinkle on a resilient rigid reinforcement fitting exactly to the shape of soft felt cap;

2. The soft cap is stiffened from the lower edge in the direction of its top;

3. The top of the cap is stiffened in the direction of the curve;

4. The rigid armature consists of a fabric or a resilient lattice whose son freely play therebetween;

5. The strengthening of the rotator will by fading from the bottom edge and the top of it is made by rubber plates whose thickness gradually decreases.

The inventor Adolf Sindermann had many Hat and Hat Felt related patents. His company was a major supplier of Fur Felt Hoods / Capelines and a possible supplier to P. & C. Habig Wien who did not produce their own Felt.

6588311127_9e035f7f3f_b.jpg
Cool looking bowler, Steve.

Sticking to the shade and trying to stay alive while spending all day walking outside visiting temples in Kyoto. It is HOT! 97 with a real feel of 113 due to the humidity. Yowza….

This hemp Stratoliner is now in its third summer of being worn everyday, keeping the sun off, absorbing epic amounts of sweat and going to work and on summer vacation wherever the family goes. And it still looks great. If it gets wonky I just leave it on a flat surface overnight and good to go. Not bad at all for a hat I ordered online for $99. Hope you all are staying cool.

David
View attachment 541413
I like the color, David.

Here are some hats I have worn the last couple of days.

VS straw hat.

i-fPGLRNQ-M.jpg

Stetson "Genuine Panama."

i-QRRFDcG-M.jpg

i-sNxtNXz-M.jpg

Tropicool vented hat.

i-7RRVsXZ-M.jpg

i-DmdpQDR-M.jpg

i-R8J6Gt7-M.jpg

Stetson "Genuine Imported Panama."

i-WpgGxpR-M.jpg

PHD.

i-5n3q8CK-M.jpg

A different PHD.

i-ZrbQntS-M.jpg

Sunbody palm hat.

i-3vpSgCb-M.jpg

Dobbs Fifty Westward.

i-kV23MtT-M.jpg

Stetson Playboy.

i-JDwn5f7-M.jpg

VS Stratoliner (sage hat inspired by the Stetson of said name).

i-fd9WMrL-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric. -
Mighty fine line up, Eric.

IMG_20230819_173415508_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Royal Scot - Playfellow Featherweight

Very Light Bone Colored Lightweight Felt
4 1/2 Crown with Diamond/Circle Pattern Side/Top Vents
Corded Hat Band
2 3/16 Brim with tight rolled underwelt
Unreeded Sweatband.

I purchased this hat from Scott at Fine Vintage Fedoras and Restoration through his eBay store. And I’d like to say first off… this may be the first vintage hat I’ve purchased that was perfect right out of the box. It was expertly shaped and so clean I didn’t even feel the need to brush it. So a big thumbs up to Scott who also appears to sell sweatbands and other hat finishing items in his eBay and Etsy store.

Let’s see what we have here in the Royal Scot Playfellow Featherweight. I may have found the perfect South Florida summer felt hat. The felt is a thin lightweight felt in a bright bone color with diamond pattern vent holes on the sides and a circular vent pattern on top of its 4 1/2 inch unlined crown. The brim measures 2 3/16 to its tight rolled underwelt edge approximating a sort of Cavanagh edge look. And it is neatly finished with a corded hat band design that I initially thought was black.. but once in the sun is actually a very dark brown.

As I had suspected considering its unreeded sweat seems to have shrunken ever so slightly enough to fit my 6 7/8 to 7 head.. feeling about size 7. Though I imagine it would easily return to its 7 1/8 size if tugged on the noggin of someone in that size.

I am incredibly happy with this hat that I’m sure it will get plenty of use in our hot and humid South Florida “summer” climate.. which lasts mostly year round. My only concern is dirtying up this fabulous felt. Hats like these are further proof that lesser known hat makers in this era were turning out some high quality and interesting hats. Not having seen many other examples of this brand of hat makes it almost impossible for me to date its production, but I would say it is quite reminiscent of hat stylings and manufacturing in the 1930s. Any further experience that might nail it down would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20230819_172631011_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_173032226_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230819_172853345_Original.jpeg
IMG_4387.jpeg
IMG_4388.jpeg
IMG_4389.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Mighty fine line up, Eric.

Thanks sir.

View attachment 541521

Corded Hat Band
Unreeded Sweatband.

I purchased this hat from Scott at Fine Vintage Fedoras and Restoration through his eBay store. And I’d like to say first off… this may be the first vintage hat I’ve purchased that was perfect right out of the box. It was expertly shaped and so clean I didn’t even feel the need to brush it. So a big thumbs up to Scott who also appears to sell sweatbands and other hat finishing items in his eBay and Etsy store.

Let’s see what we have here in the Royal Scot Playfellow Featherweight. I may have found the perfect South Florida summer felt hat. The felt is a thin lightweight felt in a bright bone color with diamond pattern vent holes on the sides and a circular vent pattern on top of its 4 1/2 inch unlined crown. The brim measures 2 3/16 to its tight rolled underwelt edge approximating a sort of Cavanagh edge look. And it is neatly finished with a corded hat band design that I initially thought was black.. but once in the sun is actually a very dark brown.

As I had suspected considering its unreeded sweat seems to have shrunken ever so slightly enough to fit my 6 7/8 to 7 head.. feeling about size 7. Though I imagine it would easily return to its 7 1/8 size if tugged on the noggin of someone in that size.

I am incredibly happy with this hat that I’m sure it will get plenty of use in our hot and humid South Florida “summer” climate.. which lasts mostly year round. My only concern is dirtying up this fabulous felt. Hats like these are further proof that lesser known hat makers in this era were turning out some high quality and interesting hats. Not having seen many other examples of this brand of hat makes it almost impossible for me to date its production, but I would say it is quite reminiscent of hat stylings and manufacturing in the 1930s. Any further experience that might nail it down would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 541522 View attachment 541523 View attachment 541524 View attachment 541525 View attachment 541526 View attachment 541527

That hat is plain cool. It has all the desirable features. The felt, hue and unreeded sweat make it spectacular. I do really appreciate the venting on the hat. The cording is not something I have seen a lot of and it works for this hat. Congrats on the new hat!

I tip my brim in a southerly direction towards you, Eric -

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words for the No.1 Columbia and Borsalino Zeffiro!

So nice ...

Thank you Jonathan. Your No 1 is a real standout today.

Interesting crease on that Columbia, Jonathan.
Sure wish mine was big enough to wear or at least big enough to resize.

Whoa! Love that No.1!

Killer Borsa!

Jonathan, Jonathan. JONATHAAAANNN!!!

That does deserve all the headtime it gets.

Lovely hats!

Fantastic line-up, Jeff.

Done!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 541521

Corded Hat Band
Unreeded Sweatband.

View attachment 541522 View attachment 541523 View attachment 541524 View attachment 541525 View attachment 541526 View attachment 541527
Great hat!!! Love the vents!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

hambone71

Practically Family
View attachment 541521

Corded Hat Band
Unreeded Sweatband.

Outstanding looking hat. One of my favorites you've posted recently. I'm gonna have to find me a vented felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran