Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Mighty44

One Too Many

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
More of the new Gannon.

I’ll try to get some different hats up the rest of the week but this fellow and I had our maiden walkabout just now and I really do adore him. More particulars on the Gannon thread.

Happy Monday folks (although I guess it’s Tuesday somewhere!). October has finally arrived.

View attachment 552718
View attachment 552721
That is one great Gannon, Nathan. Love the overall shape and that wide ribbon and bow treatment. A superb autumn colour combination.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Today and yesterday…

View attachment 552766

Stetson 3X Beaver Quality Western - Pecan
6 inch crown open (about 5 1/2 as shaped)
3 1/2 raw edge brim
5/8 braid fabric hat band
Embroidered Last Drop Liner

My guiding wisdom with this hat.. is that I just could not pass up a 1950s 3X western in such a beautiful pecan color for under $20.. be it a size or two too large… or about 5 sizes too small. This hat was sold as a 6 1/4, I assume due to the number 6 written in pencil on the back of the 1/4 size tag. I suspected by the proportions in the photos and the percentage odds more than likely this would come in at 7 1/4 (I believe a 6 1/4 hat of this quality would probably be about as rare as a 7 3/4… even if far less desirable). So I had to take a swing either way… at 7 1/4 it sits in the outside range of what I can pull off reasonably well and at 6 1/4 it makes a nice conversation piece (or maybe to hold for a future grandchild?). I’m happy to report it is in fact a 7 1/4…. And even though this is one big hat in it’s proportions I have been happily wearing it out and about for the past couple days. I wouldn’t want to wear it on a windy day without a bit of padding to tighten the fit a bit… but otherwise it fits fairly well… doesn’t slop around really at all.

I absolutely love the pecan color of the felt… the unusual braided fabric hat band that is stitched in place and the embroidered last drop liner. The hat is just about pristine outside a small red stain under the brim.. that looks like maybe lipstick. I don’t think the hat has ever had any side dents or pinch just this center dent… but I think it really works. The stars in the sweat logo often points to late 40s to early 50s. I think this size tag more early to mid 50s… and the manufacturer tag also.. I believe 1950s…. Leaves me to estimate early to mid 1950s dating.

View attachment 552767 View attachment 552768 View attachment 552769 View attachment 552770
Thats a beauty and you look like quite the dude, Joe!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Finishing up the Poodle Corral (fencing in the side yard) in a well patina-ed straw from the thrift store. The now gray ribbon was originally dark green.

robert h.jpeg
What an unusual and fabulous straw. I love it. A great, well weathered hat, perfect in the Autumn sunshine.
poodles.png
A Poodle Corral Bob, the mind boggles!

Fern shirt and stone trousers 002.JPG

1697532348427.png

The hat that Tina had made for me that I wore over the weekend gets another outing today. Perfect for the last of the sunshine.

"There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them."
gadget.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It’s been difficult to access the lounge from all my devices recently, but here’s my assortment from the past week.
New steel blue Rio Grande from Nathaniel’s Hats, brown Buckaroo style made by Great Plains Hat company, which no longer exists, Resistol OR clone, and my VS Bobby Blue.
*edit: the images always post in a different order from what I upload, but hopefully the descriptions are enough to go by.

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6054.jpeg
    IMG_6054.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5996.jpeg
    IMG_5996.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5861.jpeg
    IMG_5861.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5825.jpeg
    IMG_5825.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 33

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Very nice whippet!

I could turn this one into a sort-of whippet clone and join in fashion forward Tuesday but maybe it’s just as appropriate as is - namely, incomplete (not fully arrived?).

Adam majestic quality. Possibly a 1940s hat. A favorite beater. No ribbon.

IMG_8985.jpeg

IMG_8980.jpeg

IMG_8981.jpeg

IMG_8984.jpeg

IMG_8989.jpeg

Original price: $6.00. Maybe too high for the 1940s?

IMG_8990.jpeg

I figure I might as well keep the theme going and celebrate Whippet Wednesday today... View attachment 552883 View attachment 552884 View attachment 552885 View attachment 552886 View attachment 552887

I guess this is what it's like to be fashion forward.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Today and yesterday…

View attachment 552766

Stetson 3X Beaver Quality Western - Pecan
6 inch crown open (about 5 1/2 as shaped)
3 1/2 raw edge brim
5/8 braid fabric hat band
Embroidered Last Drop Liner

My guiding wisdom with this hat.. is that I just could not pass up a 1950s 3X western in such a beautiful pecan color for under $20.. be it a size or two too large… or about 5 sizes too small. This hat was sold as a 6 1/4, I assume due to the number 6 written in pencil on the back of the 1/4 size tag. I suspected by the proportions in the photos and the percentage odds more than likely this would come in at 7 1/4 (I believe a 6 1/4 hat of this quality would probably be about as rare as a 7 3/4… even if far less desirable). So I had to take a swing either way… at 7 1/4 it sits in the outside range of what I can pull off reasonably well and at 6 1/4 it makes a nice conversation piece (or maybe to hold for a future grandchild?). I’m happy to report it is in fact a 7 1/4…. And even though this is one big hat in it’s proportions I have been happily wearing it out and about for the past couple days. I wouldn’t want to wear it on a windy day without a bit of padding to tighten the fit a bit… but otherwise it fits fairly well… doesn’t slop around really at all.

I absolutely love the pecan color of the felt… the unusual braided fabric hat band that is stitched in place and the embroidered last drop liner. The hat is just about pristine outside a small red stain under the brim.. that looks like maybe lipstick. I don’t think the hat has ever had any side dents or pinch just this center dent… but I think it really works. The stars in the sweat logo often points to late 40s to early 50s. I think this size tag more early to mid 50s… and the manufacturer tag also.. I believe 1950s…. Leaves me to estimate early to mid 1950s dating.

View attachment 552767 View attachment 552768 View attachment 552769 View attachment 552770
Great find Joe, and what a steal at $20! That hat band seems very unique. Gotta love the 50s JBS 3X!

hambone71

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot