Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Stetson 3X Mode Edge

20231018_154605_compress0.jpg
20231018_154610_compress63.jpg
20231018_154613_compress85.jpg
20231018_164453_compress92.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Man, you are reaching deep these last couple of days and whipping out some killer old hats! Very impressive!
I see more reddish undertones instead of green in direct sunlight. Wonderful take on a cattleman’s crease!
Thanks brother! I’m glad to be getting through my collection. Once I start back to work I won’t be able to show it off anymore.

I’m going to have to compare the Gannon to one of my red tinted browns in the direct sunlight. The Gannon sure seems to have a lot of color variation, it’s true!

IMG_20231018_172830135_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231018_172914800_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Dobbs Fifteen - Medium Brown
5 1/2 Open Crown - about 5 inch as Shaped
1 1/8 Rusty Red Grosgrain Ribbon
2 1/2 Brim with Dobbs Edge
Leisure Flex Sweatband.

The second in line from a trio of hats I will now refer to as the “Christmas Story Collection”. While yesterday’s Mallory was originally purchased at The May Company in Downtown Cleveland… the two Dobbs Fifteen were originally purchased across the way at Higbee’s of the movie A Christmas Story fame.

A couple interesting notes on this hat…. It features what looked very familiar to me as the Guild Edge logo which generally identifies Dobbs version of Cavanagh Edge… however on closer inspection this one is called Dobbs Edge. All references I can fine to Dobbs Edge was it was another name they used for Cavanagh edge before settling on Guild Edge. This particular version of the edge appears a bit different than the other hand felted edges I’ve seen. While I’ve seen Cavanagh edge of both the smaller and wider variety, they usually have a slightly less defined and rounded welt to them. This version is has a much sharper ledge to the welt. Almost like a over welt that was attached with hidden stitches or glue. A bit unusual but cool none the less.

The other point of interest is I suspect the original ribbon may have been replaced with this mid ribbon as most fifteens of this era I have seen had approx 2 inch ribbons… also some of the ribbon tacking goes right through the liner.

I would estimate early 1950s for this Dobbs 15.

“You’ll shoot you eye out kid! Ho.. Ho.. Hoooooo!!!”

IMG_4929.jpeg
IMG_4930.jpeg
IMG_20231018_173027564_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I've become increasingly convinced we need a Joe only @Blare thread. You've got too many great hats, Joe. The rest of us are having a hard time keeping up!

View attachment 553197 View attachment 553198

Dobbs Fifteen - Medium Brown
5 1/2 Open Crown - about 5 inch as Shaped
1 1/8 Rusty Red Grosgrain Ribbon
2 1/2 Brim with Dobbs Edge
Leisure Flex Sweatband.

The second in line from a trio of hats I will now refer to as the “Christmas Story Collection”. While yesterday’s Mallory was originally purchased at The May Company in Downtown Cleveland… the two Dobbs Fifteen were originally purchased across the way at Higbee’s of the movie A Christmas Story fame.

A couple interesting notes on this hat…. It features what looked very familiar to me as the Guild Edge logo which generally identifies Dobbs version of Cavanagh Edge… however on closer inspection this one is called Dobbs Edge. All references I can fine to Dobbs Edge was it was another name they used for Cavanagh edge before settling on Guild Edge. This particular version of the edge appears a bit different than the other hand felted edges I’ve seen. While I’ve seen Cavanagh edge of both the smaller and wider variety, they usually have a slightly less defined and rounded welt to them. This version is has a much sharper ledge to the welt. Almost like a over welt that was attached with hidden stitches or glue. A bit unusual but cool none the less.

The other point of interest is I suspect the original ribbon may have been replaced with this mid ribbon as most fifteens of this era I have seen had approx 2 inch ribbons… also some of the ribbon tacking goes right through the liner.

I would estimate early 1950s for this Dobbs 15.

“You’ll shoot you eye out kid! Ho.. Ho.. Hoooooo!!!”

View attachment 553199 View attachment 553200 View attachment 553201

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
You mean with my Gannon? They could definitely be grandfather and grandchild, for sure. And yet another fantastic bow you’ve found!

Your Gannon is another fine example of Michael's craftsmanship and ability to create modern classics! My twinsies comment ties in with the breadcrumbs I left in the New Hats thread post for this Marathon. A Lounger currently has this hat for sale, albeit in a different size.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Your Gannon is another fine example of Michael's craftsmanship and ability to create modern classics! My twinsies comment ties in with the breadcrumbs I left in the New Hats thread post for this Marathon. A Lounger currently has this hat for sale, albeit in a different size.
Got it. Your Marathon and my Gannon are similar enough to have made me wonder. I leave you to your Brothers Grimm capers (a breadcrumbs reference - I believe the Grimms were not twins).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy