Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
From last year right before my knee replacement surgery. Too lazy this a.m. to get a picture. If you can't afford to buy an actual Whippet off of eBay, make something similar. This was a way too small, 6 5/8 Resistol Stagecoach that Bob Hufford saved from a yard sale and gave to me. I reblocked it to my 7 1/4 size and salvaged the ribbon and bow off of a modern Stetson. I also bound the brim with ribbon that was salvaged, again, from another hat.

Lookin great as always, Terry! Can’t tell me it’s not a real Whippet, that thang will Whip with the best of ‘em!
Doing them tight basting stitches with the brim already flanged.
An important factor in the process insuring tight, unpuckered binding and helps keep waves outta the brim.
Lotta work in just the binding, right Terry?!
It’s great that you and I can talk hat building and share and bounce ideas off each other, and have for some time.

Gotta find me a Whippet for Wednesday!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Play-Vita Wednesday. Wait. That don’t have a bit of a ring to it. Oh well.
Changed the bow keep. The one I had on it was a bit too flashy for this hat. When I got it she was missing the original bow keep, but other than that all I had to do was give it a quick brushing.
7220C8BB-09CC-486F-B83C-A36EA5056C6C.jpeg
E93F2F74-F0E0-4985-B509-D10B9300FF52.jpeg

It is finally here.. StingyMas is upon us!

Stingymas is a celebration of shorter brim hats, started by our friend Mike @Redfokker and myself, to show a hat may have a stingy brim but still have plenty of style and quality. Over the years several of you have joined in the stingy fun. For those who care to come along…. The rules are very simple and loose… for the next 11 days share the hats whose brims are in the shorter end of our collections. Have fun! The final day of StingyMas coincides with Festivus!

On the first day of StingyMas…. Dobbs Four Seasons in Caramel with Guild Edge

IMG_20231213_173700868 Copy.jpeg
IMG_20231213_173707150 Copy.jpeg
IMG_5470.jpeg
IMG_20231213_173455765 Copy.jpeg
IMG_20231213_173449425_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231213_173437657_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231213_173736602 Copy.jpeg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Lookin great as always, Terry! Can’t tell me it’s not a real Whippet, that thang will Whip with the best of ‘em!
Doing them tight basting stitches with the brim already flanged.
An important factor in the process insuring tight, unpuckered binding and helps keep waves outta the brim.
Lotta work in just the binding, right Terry?!
It’s great that you and I can talk hat building and share and bounce ideas off each other, and have for some time.

Gotta find me a Whippet for Wednesday!
Thank you buddy! Much appreciated. Yessir! You're absolutely right. Flange up when you're binding the brim. That's the way to get your brim binding nice and tight with a good clean snap.

We still have to bounce more ideas off each other to get our hidden stitch method figured out too!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Play-Vita Wednesday. Wait. That don’t have a bit of a ring to it. Oh well.
Changed the bow keep. The one I had on it was a bit too flashy for this hat. When I got it she was missing the original bow keep, but other than that all I had to do was give it a quick brushing. View attachment 570116 View attachment 570115
There's another nice one that's just my size, and I even like the bow keep! ;)

Mighty44

One Too Many
Are you sure that’s a 1960s hat? It looks better than what I’d expect from a ‘60s Playboy. In fact, it looks about perfect.
Thanks, Brent. I say that based on it having a black leather sweatband and the round logo on the liner. Anyone know when they started with these? It is a little more tapered than my older playboy but you’re right—it’s a great hat either way.
IMG_1069.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Brent. I say that based on it having a black leather sweatband and the round logo on the liner. Anyone know when they started with these? It is a little more tapered than my older playboy but you’re right—it’s a great hat either way.
View attachment 570297
Looks to be either very late 1950s or very early 1960s, ('59-'60?). I've seen that black sweat band with the round size tag before on another hat. Somebody else with better knowledge could chime in and let us know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails