Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

StoryPNW

One Too Many
I pulled my blue Dobbs Gay Prince out of the box today. This hat has the softest and best feeling felt of any hat I own.
20240303_172041.jpg
20240303_170549.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That peckham is sweet as a nut, as it goes! And those ones and twos are on top. Careful on the apples with that cane. Me favah uses one too and the apples can be a bit tricky.
I'm impressed, let's see if I can translate: Peckham is a suburb in South London, it's correct title being Peckham Rye. So for rhyming slang, Peckham Rye...........Tie.

One's & two's isn't too difficult they are worn on your plates, (of meat........feet.) So one's & two's are shoes.

Careful with the apples. Apples is probably the best known Cockney slang word, as in apples & pears.....Stairs.

Favah might have caused some head scratching. The general accent in Southern England pronounces Father as, "Farther." In Cockney the digraph, "th" gets pronounced like the letter "V" so Father becomes favah!

You missed the obvious one for a hat thread, my Sovereign would lose it's regal title and simply be known as a: Titfer. To translate that which is relatively easy you need to know that titfer is a corruption of two words. So Titfer becomes: Tit for tat............hat, which you wear on your Barnet, (Barnet Fair.....hair.) Or, if your are follicly challenged, on your loaf, (loaf of bread..........head.)

Enough now, later this morning I have an appointment at the Quacks. Mild pejorative meaning a fake or incompetent doctor or medical practitioner. It won't be a whistle that I wear though, more Callard & Grant.
Callard & Bowsers...........trousers. Grant Hackett.................jacket. For my titfer, I shall give the Sovereign another outing.

red blazer 001.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A morning walkabout in VS Wanderer (Art-light silverbelly).

i-trS8sDD-M.jpg

i-TWWXj8r-M.jpg

i-3NsmHXt-M.jpg

A Mallory Eight-fifty was my brim for morning coffee. I am amused by the Eight Fifty on the sweat. Why stop at Eight Fifty? Go to Eight Seventy-five, Nine. I am amused this morning thinking about how the hat companies labeled and priced hats.

i-VGdcfsk-M.jpg

i-nQGrKDT-M.jpg

i-8QNjDX9-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
I'm impressed, let's see if I can translate: Peckham is a suburb in South London, it's correct title being Peckham Rye. So for rhyming slang, Peckham Rye...........Tie.

One's & two's isn't too difficult they are worn on your plates, (of meat........feet.) So one's & two's are shoes.

Careful with the apples. Apples is probably the best known Cockney slang word, as in apples & pears.....Stairs.

Favah might have caused some head scratching. The general accent in Southern England pronounces Father as, "Farther." In Cockney the digraph, "th" gets pronounced like the letter "V" so Father becomes favah!

You missed the obvious one for a hat thread, my Sovereign would lose it's regal title and simply be known as a: Titfer. To translate that which is relatively easy you need to know that titfer is a corruption of two words. So Titfer becomes: Tit for tat............hat, which you wear on your Barnet, (Barnet Fair.....hair.) Or, if your are follicly challenged, on your loaf, (loaf of bread..........head.)

Enough now, later this morning I have an appointment at the Quacks. Mild pejorative meaning a fake or incompetent doctor or medical practitioner. It won't be a whistle that I wear though, more Callard & Grant.
Callard & Bowsers...........trousers. Grant Hackett.................jacket. For my titfer, I shall give the Sovereign another outing.

View attachment 596567
Fabulous titfer, ya got there! So, the quack is gonna have a butcher's, aye? I hope he's not one to be tellin' porkies! Best of luck to ya, me ol' China! Give my best to the trouble, aye!

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
New fedora alert. Came in today.
First time in my country life being in vogue.
Literally and figuratively.
All I had to do was brush, flange and steam shape. Thin, light, nice felt that shaped up well, but needed a degree of skill.
I’d say the extra creamy felt color is more properly represented somewhere in between the topside and bottom photos. This Vogue has the orange and red reorder tags inside. Hand written price tag inside states the color is ivory, sold for $12.50 in 1951 if I’m seeing it right.
Very well pleased to be the caretaker of this fine old gal!

607D7209-5FD5-4959-9747-CFBB0D225A05.jpeg
98F69361-AE2A-4008-938A-D6D338D90DC7.jpeg
052DB04F-703A-40E5-8BCA-391214B5D21A.jpeg
4AB6CCE3-97C8-4CAE-9E2A-A32AF16D41B8.jpeg
B6BF955D-6343-4E73-BC7A-BD6051A16524.jpeg

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
All I had to do was brush, flange and steam shape. Thin, light, nice felt that shaped up well, but needed a degree of skill.
I’d say it’s extra creamy felt color is more properly represented in the topside photos, for once. This Vogue has the orange and red reorder tags inside. Hand written price tag inside states the color is ivory, sold for $12.50 in 1951 if I’m seeing it right.

. View attachment 596737 View attachment 596738 View attachment 596739 View attachment 596740 View attachment 596741
Beautiful!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I’d say the extra creamy felt color is more properly represented somewhere in between the topside and bottom photos. This Vogue has the orange and red reorder tags inside. Hand written price tag inside states the color is ivory, sold for $12.50 in 1951 if I’m seeing it right.

. View attachment 596737 View attachment 596738 View attachment 596739 View attachment 596740 View attachment 596741

Randall; Congrats sir! That is truly a show stopper hat. The felt is and condition put it over the top. I do love the liners two hues. Wear it with pride sir!

Cheers, Eric -

BTW: Here is a comparison I posted about a couple other Vogues - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2747433 .

A special hat for sure Randall. I think you deserve this one!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff