Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Stetson One-Hundred:
20240415_080455.jpg
20240415_080521.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That felt is beautiful in the low sun!

Is the 100 that special? Is it that much more special than say a 7x or even a 25 of the same era?

I’ve never handled one - is it worthy of grail status?

Grail status - YES.

Some debate as to whether the 100 or the 7XCB should have top billing, but a 100 will make you question every other hat in your collection!

One Hundred by Stetson. Handiwork by Art Fawcett.
20231205_181922.jpg 20231205_181948.jpg 20231205_182025.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Grail status - YES.

Some debate as to whether the 100 or the 7XCB should have top billing, but a 100 will make you question every other hat in your collection!

One Hundred by Stetson. Handiwork by Art Fawcett.
View attachment 607300 View attachment 607301 View attachment 607302
Thanks Randy, that is a real beauty!

I suppose I am curious about the comparison between a 7x and a 100 given the cost difference even today. I regularly see 100s priced in the 7-800 dollar range and wonder if they are really worth that much more than a 7x (I see them more in the 300 dollar range).

One day perhaps I will get to find out, but until then I have to admit that even only in photos it is clear that they are high quality.

Last edited:
Thanks Randy, that is a real beauty!

I suppose I am curious about the comparison between a 7x and a 100 given the cost difference even today. I regularly see 100s priced in the 7-800 dollar range and wonder if they are really worth that much more than a 7x (I see them more in the 300 dollar range).

One day perhaps I will get to find out, but until then I have to admit that even only in photos it is clear that they are high quality.
I think mostly this is a bit of an eras thing. For example A late 40s early 50s 7XCB was (I believe) a fifty dollar hat… a 100 of the same era a 100 dollar hat. In that case the 100 would be of higher quality (although some have indicated that 100 was essentially a 7XCB dressed up with a fancy leather box) the finishing should be the best of the best on the 100. To compare a 50s 7XCB to a later 100 say later 60s or 70s that comparison doesn’t hold up as over time $100 didn’t buy you what it once did.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I think mostly this is a bit of an eras thing. For example A late 40s early 50s 7XCB was (I believe) a fifty dollar hat… a 100 of the same era a 100 dollar hat. In that case the 100 would be of higher quality (although some have indicated that 100 was essentially a 7XCB dressed up with a fancy leather box) the finishing should be the best of the best on the 100. To compare a 50s 7XCB to a later 100 say later 60s or 70s that comparison doesn’t hold up as over time $100 didn’t buy you what it once did.
You hit my question on the head: if I have a 7XCB and a 100 of the same era, are they roughly equivalent hats or is the 100 actually twice as quality as the 7XCB? Or is the extra money just paying for the luggage? Yes, that’s exactly my question.

I guess one reason this seems important is because I often see 100s on offer sans suitcase for 800 but others on sale with the suitcase for 800. Is the one without the suitcase literally missing half the original value?

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
There are advantages to being up early and starting your “Let’s see what’s out there for sale” surfing before the sun’s up. I increased my fedora stable by 50% yesterday, with one stop. I scored a lot sale from a local gentleman downsizing and preparing to move. These were family hats that had been accumulated by another relative for ages, and were moved on to him when she became disabled.

Today I'll be wearing the one I’m absolutely the most delighted with: a 1950s vintage, grey, Stetson Royal Deluxe, with a bound edge. 2.5" brim, crown is 4.5" at the front crush, 4.75" at the sides, 1.75" ribbon. It’s got some sun fading, which bothers me not in the slightest. And it’s still got its wind trolley!

Stetson 50s Royal Deluxe 1.jpg
Stetson 50s Royal Deluxe 2.jpg
Stetson 50s Royal Deluxe 3.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many
There are advantages to being up early and starting your “Let’s see what’s out there for sale” surfing before the sun’s up. I increased my fedora stable by 50% yesterday, with one stop. I scored a lot sale from a local gentleman downsizing and preparing to move. These were family hats that had been accumulated by another relative for ages, and were moved on to him when she became disabled.

Today I'll be wearing the one I’m absolutely the most delighted with: a 1950s vintage, grey, Stetson Royal Deluxe, with a bound edge. 2.5" brim, crown is 4.5" at the front crush, 4.75" at the sides, 1.75" ribbon. It’s got some sun fading, which bothers me not in the slightest. And it’s still got its wind trolley!

View attachment 607366 View attachment 607367 View attachment 607368
That is a beautiful hat! Love a hat that has enough wear that you don’t have to worry too much about wearing it. Congrats!

That is quite nice Mark. Love to see the inside

you said it is a bound brim… if the brim bound with a piece of felt? It doesn’t appear to be grosgrain

wsmontana

A-List Customer

Great find Mark! Is that a welted edge?

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
That is quite nice Mark. Love to see the inside

you said it is a bound brim… if the brim bound with a piece of felt? It doesn’t appear to be grosgrain
Aaarrgghhh!! Sorry, Joe. Too many hats in my head at one time. This one is NOT a bound brim, but a Cavanagh. Or is it wrong to call it a Cavanagh on a Stetson? God, I'm such a noob at this!
50s RS interior 1.jpg
50s RS interior 2.jpg
50s RS interior 3.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Aaarrgghhh!! Sorry, Joe. Too many hats in my head at one time. This one is NOT a bound brim, but a Cavanagh. Or is it wrong to call it a Cavanagh on a Stetson? God, I'm such a noob at this! View attachment 607369 View attachment 607370 View attachment 607371
Great hat Voodoo - lovely inside and out and suits you well!

Stetson’s version of the Cavanagh Edge was called the Mode Edge and I won’t attempt to explain the difference between a Mode Edge and what you have (there’s lots of discussion throughout the lounge if you search). The Mode Edge is supposedly the top shelf brim style but I might like your style a little bit better.

My favorite hat currently is a Mallory Ten with the similar style of trim you have but folded under instead of over (so that it’s only visible on the underside of the brim). I really like the feel of the sharp edge on my thumb when I put it on, whereas the Mode Edge feels more like a lump between my fingers (but for that, it is easier to grasp). But aesthetically, I am a little more attracted to sharp edges than to gentle slopes.

My Mallory Ten has a stitch in it, but honestly I think it’s mostly decoration (and I love it).
IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

What a hat!!!
Good score!! Looks great on the head!
Can’t wait to see the others on you!

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
Great hat Voodoo - lovely inside and out and suits you well!

Stetson’s version of the Cavanagh Edge was called the Mode Edge and I won’t attempt to explain the difference between a Mode Edge and what you have (there’s lots of discussion throughout the lounge if you search). The Mode Edge is supposedly the top shelf brim style but I might like your style a little bit better.

My favorite hat currently is a Mallory Ten with the similar style of trim you have but folded under instead of over (so that it’s only visible on the underside of the brim). I really like the feel of the sharp edge on my thumb when I put it on, whereas the Mode Edge feels more like a lump between my fingers (but for that, it is easier to grasp). But aesthetically, I am a little more attracted to sharp edges than to gentle slopes.

My Mallory Ten has a stitch in it, but honestly I think it’s mostly decoration (and I love it).
View attachment 607372
View attachment 607373
Thanks, Nathan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner