Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a "grail" jacket worth?

Hey Guys,
I was in NYC yesterday and happened by the RRL store in SoHo.
While admiring the place, I spotted a very nice halfbelt in the back on a sweater display.
I tried it on, and Behold-it fit!!! RRL halfbelt.jpg
Then, I saw the price.....$2K....
I put it back as I'm in line for a new one from JC.
But, it started me thinking..... What is the perfect jacket worth to you?

Edward

Bartender
I'm sure there must bd somewhere you can buy a cheaper take off on a Highwayman style than that! Likely the quality is fine, but still... three times the price of an Aero? I'll pass.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Some people like to pay more, and some less.

I think theres more than enough to go around at a price fair enough if you are willing to spend the time and effort scrounging. On a long enough timeline my patience is always rewarded.

I See My Price range and stick to it. Im not really above the half a Grand Range of Jacket, you would be suprised when someone wants WAY too much for a Jacket and vice-versa, theres always going to be a set of circumstances where someone doesnt know what they have, or Due to other factors are liquidating their inventory.

I have a Jacket that was plucked from the Trash at an Estate Auction, Its a B-3 Redskin with a shredded back pannel...the thing screams Museum quality all over!!!

Its all VERY Subjectional.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ah Mike, Mike.... That my friend is how they "git ya". If'n you know what I mean. You can get a Langlitz, Vanson or Johnson Leather made to order for WAY less than half that one. You can git a GoodWear for $500 less and an AL or Aero for right around half of that cost. Of course you won't get it with that primo "pre-aged" look. But at least you'll be sure what COUNTRY it was born in. I'm glad you held off on it. I've not seen an RRL made anywhere but China or India in a decade. The did have some hand made in Italy though. Even if this was one of the Paisan's it STILL ain't worth 2 long.

Worf

Eric, won't know until I have it. But…I think I have one of my grails in my GW Ventura for sure.
You really don't know until you've had it a while. Love at first sight in my experiences has never been a good yardstick of long-term affection. :)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I was checking out another forum recently where a member was proudly showing off a 40's leather jacket he got for $40 bucks, the next day the jacket was for sale on ebay for $450...keep looking

I don't think I was clear in my OP, this jacket is an original horsehide 20s or 30s American jacket... NoT a RRL copy.
All that distressing is real, and it felt soooo nice. Just a tad too short in the back and slightly snug in the chest or I would have needed an intervention....
Oh yeah, the price is what snapped me out of the haze.
:)

but then....the Real McCoys jackets I tried on nearby were all around $2500...
Crazy, huh?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I don't think I was clear in my OP, this jacket is an original horsehide 20s or 30s American jacket... NoT a RRL copy.
All that distressing is real, and it felt soooo nice. Just a tad too short in the back and slightly snug in the chest or I would have needed an intervention....
Oh yeah, the price is what snapped me out of the haze.
:)

but then....the Real McCoys jackets I tried on nearby were all around $2500...
Crazy, huh?

RRL Buyers shop for vintage and inspiration at shops like ours. RRL buyers have purchased everything from cafe' racers to belts to half belts to western shirts from us. Stop by our shop the next time you're in Seattle and you'll be able to try five vintage half belts in your size! Our prices are a lot better too... ;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Lets do a meet up!!!

To the OP- sorry to say, I don't think any of us round here are ever going to find that grail jacket. We'd think we had it for no more than a month befpre we changed pur minds :D That said I'd price out my dream d pocket half belt aviator with a grommet zipper and ball chain puller at around 2-3k

Plumbline

One Too Many
My most expensive leather wasn't a repro but a Motorcycle racing suit from British manufacturers BKS at £1600 ($2600) ..... it was custom made and was stunning ( till it was cut from my body ) .... but it did it's job well.

I paid £860 for a B-3 from Stu at lost worlds and I have paid £5-600 often for jackets that I particularly desired. In general my limit is £600 (NEW) and £400 (S/H) ... these are my own personal limits and as such have precluded me from my early facination ( when it was a MUCH cheaper endeavour before the internet ) of genuine vintage jackets .... of which I now have NONE ( old, smelly, often didn't fit and generally made my jacket wardrobe smell like a church jumble sale).

There are hundreds of REALLY GOOD jackets available at prices significantly lower than these levels and great bargains still to be had .... I stand by the mantra " There's no such thing as a keeper" ..... but that's just me I guess.

Which one is it HD?

The FQHH zip sleeve Bootlegger HandyM. I have that..the Stuart..Hwymn..and a couple HBs left after about 13 yrs of picking over repros..and many vintage leather jackets that have moved on as well. I most always had trouble with 'vintage' getting a good or even a decent fit due to being tall with long arms. I also like my eBay older steer Vanson Enfield that had only been worn a few times by the previous owner. I most often grab the Bootlegger,tho. It's a beautiful hide. The style and fit just suits me.
HD

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ah now I understand what you're talking about. I'm too new to this "obsession" to know what my "grail" jacket is. If I thought I'd found her, I'd pay whatever my card at the time would/carry. But I've never felt like that about a jacket.... I HAVE about a particular instrument, car... woman even... but never about a jacket... yet.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80