Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is appropriate to wear for a presentation?

macollins

New in Town
I'm going to do a presentation to conclude my senior year in high school that is based on a research project that I've done. I will be presenting this to a board of three community members. We need to dress up relatively professionally. That means guys have to wear slacks and a button-up shirt and girls wear the same or a business-looking suit. I want to wear something vintage, partly because my project is on the 1950s, but mostly because that's how I dress all the time!

If I couldn't find a '50s skirt suit, do you all think a nice dress with a hat, gloves, purse, and heels would be OK? Could the dress be patterned or just a solid color?

Thanks for your input!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think if you can't find a vintage skirt suit you like, a not-too-frilly dress with a cardigan over it could look very good.

I think I might personally skip the gloves and just do my nails in a classic (not square or very long) polished manicure unless you want people to comment on the costume effect, unfortunately.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I'd skip the hat and gloves, too, if "professional" is the look you're going for. Otherwise, a nice pencil skirt and blouse (with pearls?) would probably cover all your bases, unless you find a great suit.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lotta Little is right, a pencil skirt and cute blouse with pearls (or even just a strong colour bead, for instance red) could look great and professional without being too much. And it's not like a pencil skirt and button-down blouse will be things you can't use again together or seperately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24