Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is considered a Fedora?

Victor

One of the Regulars
A Panama is a woven hat made in Ecuador. It is hand woven with the fibers of the Toquilla plant. A felt hat can't be a Panama. A Panama could be a Fedora though if it is a Fedora shape. At least that is my understanding.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As for the trilby refference, check out this thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2632&highlight=trilby

A panama can be a fedora in shape, though for definition sake not a fedora in a dictionary.

I'd like to keep the definition of a fedora as a felt hat for our sake, though I can still see my self saying "straw fedora", or "cotton fedora".

For clarity sake, a fedora in my opinion is a fur felt by defenition unless you pare the name with another material, then the term fedora refers to the shape.

Like a foam boater. It's not a boater, though it plays one in parades.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Considered it once, some years ago, but the price is a bit steep for a curiosity piece (which it would be for me).

job

One Too Many
Would a Homburg with a flat brim and a curl still be a Homburg or would it now be a Fedora with a pencil curl. Hmmmmmm.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think it would still be a homburg, although historically the terms are largely interchangeable and subject to the vagaries of style and marketing.

job

One Too Many
Lefty,

I read some of the tread. Interesting. It seems like everyone agreed that they were no closer to defining a fedora than when they started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters