Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it you want more than anything...?

carter

I'll Lock Up
M Tatterscratch said:
Jovan,

You're a genius! What a charming thread this is! You all sound like such lovely people - We SHOULD found our own town!

I'd like a little corner of the world where it's still the first morning of spring, somewhere around 1910. Birds are shaking the dew from their wings on the high, green hedge around my house. Someone is baking bread. My hands give off the scent of the talcum my wife uses to powder her arms. In the distance, at the bandstand on the green, the town band is practicing for tonight's dance, playing "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" without any irony whatsoever.

In a few years I'll have a war to go to, and will never see what the world will become.

Adjusting my Rose-Coloured Glasses,

T.

T.

We hail, not only from the Old Dominion but, from the same sensibility.
We must ask Ada Veen to join us. She posted a lovely scenario, much like the one you have described, sometime earlier.
And, of course, all lovers of things pastoral.
I'd gladly live in that world if only it were a possibility.

Carter

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I'd like a little corner of the world where it's still the first morning of spring, somewhere around 1910. Birds are shaking the dew from their wings on the high, green hedge around my house. Someone is baking bread. My hands give off the scent of the talcum my wife uses to powder her arms. In the distance, at the bandstand on the green, the town band is practicing for tonight's dance, playing "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" without any irony whatsoever.

If the barbershop quartet comes around the corner and starts singing "By the Beautiful Sea" I may just faint. :D

Foofoogal

Banned
Just got back from a beautiful wedding. They had couples stand up by length of marriage. The winners :eusa_clap had been married no kidding 74 years. Me and honey have been married 32 and that is not even half. What a deal.
So, that is what I want more than anything. To be married 75 years. lol

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
carter said:
T.

We hail, not only from the Old Dominion but, from the same sensibility.
We must ask Ada Veen to join us. She posted a lovely scenario, much like the one you have described, sometime earlier.
And, of course, all lovers of things pastoral.
I'd gladly live in that world if only it were a possibility.

Carter

Really? In this thread? I didn't see it. I knew I liked her for a reason - If she weren't spoken for, I'd wink at her so much she'd think I had a facial tic. ;)

I believe I'll mosey over and read the "Vintage Town" thread - I wonder if most vintage folks are thinking of Mayberry or something like it. Funny, my parents idealize the 1950's, but that's somehow "after my time". Well, maybe I can be one the old folks in the vintage town, falling asleep at picnics and carrying an ear horn, and embarrassing the young folks by asking if the band knows...

http://www.evg.org/~megacity/Learni...39th Street - Down By the Old Mill Stream.mp3

Somebody get the smelling salts for Thebadmamajama, please.

My girl always tells me, "You're the youngest old man I've ever met..." *shrugs* I can't very well sue her for Defamation of Character.

Where are my pills?

T.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
What I want right now is watching a touching movie with a glass of champagne... And I want to have a cat, a grey one (a Chartreux.....)!!!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
M Tatterscratch said:

In a few years I'll have a war to go to, and will never see what the world will become.

T.

This nearly made me cry!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ada Veen said:
This nearly made me cry!

T., And so, you see, Miss Ada Veen shares our sensibility.
The sentence, "My hands give off the scent of the talcum my wife uses to powder her arms.", evokes such as wonderful image of two people who love one another with gentle passion.
You have the gift, my friend.
Carter

olive bleu

One Too Many
I want my children to grow up to be ridiculously happy. I want them to grow up and get out of bed every day,eager to face the day. I want them to grow up to be genererous and kind-hearted men,to find work that is fulfilling and satisfying, and to have the resources to follow their passions. I want them to live long and peaceful lives surrounded by true blue friends and people who love them.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Carter, Ms. Veen, and Jovan,

You're all welcome in my corner of the world - My kind of folks, you are.

I had very good models for such a couple, Carter. My parents are high-school sweethearts, married for 55 years this February past. I didn't come along until quite late in the game, so my parents are older than those of most of my peers. I always say that I got one of the last good raisings in America. Consequently I've remained unmarried quite deliberately because I'm determined to do it once and correctly, like they did.

Lemonade and Cousin Lois' Pound Cake,

T.

P.S. - Carter, I always picture you in uniform now. Ms. Veen, you're always in sepiatone and accompanied by the tune of "La Golondrina", and Jovan, I truly imagine you have the nerve pinch.

carter

I'll Lock Up
M Tatterscratch said:
Carter, Ms. Veen, and Jovan,

You're all welcome in my corner of the world - My kind of folks, you are.

I had very good models for such a couple, Carter. My parents are high-school sweethearts, married for 55 years this February past. I didn't come along until quite late in the game, so my parents are older than those of most of my peers. I always say that I got one of the last good raisings in America. Consequently I've remained unmarried quite deliberately because I'm determined to do it once and correctly, like they did.

Lemonade and Cousin Lois' Pound Cake,

T.

P.S. - Carter, I always picture you in uniform now. Ms. Veen, you're always in sepiatone and accompanied by the tune of "La Golondrina", and Jovan, I truly imagine you have the nerve pinch.

T. Pan, Miss Ada Veen, and Jovan,
If I may be so bold, I suggest we begin a new thread based on Miss Ada Veen's post on another thread and the continuation of those thoughts on this thread.
The period in Great Britain that we are speaking of is necessarily limited by the Great War at it's terminus and a period somewhat congrouswith the Boer War as it's inception.
Rather than monopolize this, or any other, thread, I suggest a thread that is evocative of the Victorian Era.
What do you think?
Carter

Ada Veen

Practically Family
That sounds great! As long, of course, as it's rural victoriana and not a smoky cholera filled jack the ripper slum :D

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
Just got back from a beautiful wedding. They had couples stand up by length of marriage. The winners :eusa_clap had been married no kidding 74 years. Me and honey have been married 32 and that is not even half. What a deal.
So, that is what I want more than anything. To be married 75 years. lol

That is soooo cute!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael