Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this style called?

fountwriter

New in Town
I have a couple of these hats. This one is a Nobilis from Europe and the one in My daily wear rotation is a Fernandez y Roche from Spain. It has a deeper indentation in the top, but is otherwise identical to this one.

So what is this style called?

f5505793eacecf97b39b1f968da436ce.jpg

21cd2f0ef33fb5272487b09009479abb-.jpg

Thanks!!

Adam

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That is a fedora that is unshaped. You can give it a center dent and flip the brim down, or continue to wear the hats non chalant and leave them as they are. I preffer to shape them myself.

See this
http://www.davidmorgan.com/bashinghat.html?ticket=361339-10490256&sequence=1100

You see pictures of hats in the 20's and 30's on the shelf and unshaped. The shape would be put in by the owner or the hatter.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unbashed?

Is the hat soft or hard? If it is hard like a Spanish
picador hat or traditional hat, I dunno.

If the felt is pliable or soft, the hat is just waiting to be
formed. Try rubbing the top to see if it wants a center crease
or a C-shaped dent. Rub the front of the brim and see if it
wants to fold down like a fedora. Looks like it does. See if
it readily keeps a pinch in front.

I would guess you have a fedora there that was put away
for safe keeping with its form pushed out.

fountwriter

New in Town
It's definitely not a cowboy hat, and has the same hardness and keeps its shape just like a bowlers I have worn.

It seems to be intended to be worn as is. Both of these were made in Europe...I thought perhaps someone here would have a style name to them.

Adam

Looks like the Amish that I have. Same color and style. Mine is a Portis though. The one pictured looks like it has an overwelted brim. Mine is bound if I remember right.
I have no dent in mine though. I doubt I could put one in if I wanted to. It is quite stiff. :p How old do you think yours is? Mine is likely from the 1960s. I love the looks I get when I wear it with a black suit or with a long overcoat. :p
I'll see if I can get some pictures of mine to compare. I am pretty sure yours is an Amish.

Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not the Ohio Amish

I'm surrounded by a few hundred thousand amish, and they don't wear hats like that. Especially not with a wind string or wide ribbon and nicely made bow.

scotrace said:
I'm surrounded by a few hundred thousand amish, and they don't wear hats like that. Especially not with a wind string or wide ribbon and nicely made bow.

Hahahahhah! I didn't mean they would wear it. I just mean that is what the style is called. :p I don't think you could sell the real ones on a commercial basis very well---especially in Europe. ;)
Gee, now you are going to make me too self conscious to wear mine in public. :p

Regards to all,

J

shamus

Suspended
agreed, Amish hats would be very simple with nothing fancy at all about them... Unless they're new-order Amish.

I grew up the the Old-Order Amish and they mostly just wore the straw hats.

It kind of looks like a Hasidic Jewish type hat... But it looks too tall.

I think we should just name it... a Bowlora. or would you prefer Fedoller.

Shamus

How stiff is the brim? Is it so stiff that you can barely move it?
My Portis Amish's crown is not as stiff as the brim. It is probably bowler stiff. It will give but it won't stay that way. :p
Noblis hats are from Russia. I can't read Russian so the web site is useless for me but maybe someone out there can check it out and let us know. http://www.nobilis-hats.ru/
Fernandez y Roche has a website that shows some of the styles they make but yours is not one they show on the site. I suppose they would call it a kind of sombrero but they covers quite a few different styles. ;)
http://www.industrias-sombrereras.com/

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Babelfish.altavista.com translates the large text on their home page as:

"Production and wholesale sale of the female head-gear of trade mark NOBILIS from the skin, the suede and the fur sheepskin"

It does seem to be women's hats, when you click on the links.

Brad

shamus said:
It kind of looks like a Hasidic Jewish type hat... But it looks too tall.

I think we should just name it... a Bowlora. or would you prefer Fedoller.

I am not sure about the Hasidic hat being close to it because most of them have the brim up all around like this:

pey.jpg

The crown is kind of tall that is for sure. Didn't Geoduck or Crowbar wear one like that in the Ma and Pa Kettle movies? :p
I like the Ambowler or Ambrero. :p

Regards to all,

J

dopey

One of the Regulars
Not Chassidic

The original picture does not look like a hat any of the Chassidic sects I know of would wear, except for the Lubavitch, who would wear it if it were shaped like a normal fedora. If I had donuts or dollars, I would bet on the answer you originally got — you simply have a stiff hat waiting to be shaped.

fountwriter

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
Looks like some Chassidic hats I have seen, The finnish too... though I could be wrong.

DING DING DING

Ok guys...it is a Chasiddic hat. I knew that already, but was just curious if it had a style name. Where I live we all wear hats..all the time...fedoras, homburgs, Biber Hats (beaver like the other chassidic hat shown), and this style is worn by the more modern Chassidic groups. I have seen pictures of folks from the 1870's or so wearing vests and frock coats and a hat style similar to this one. I thought it might have a name since it was at least at one point not worn only by jews.

As a side note, Matt....you really shocked me....what are the chances that you should post pics of people i know as an illustration of what jewish hats look like?

Adam

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I didn't know you knew them, though I am in the business of shocking... by the by, shouldn't they know the name of the hat?

If the hat style is that old it may be like alot of hats that carried over from the 1800's. It is an open crown dress hat in my opinion and you see many fashioned that way in the old west in the US through photos and through catalogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou