Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your expertise?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
What areas do you fancy yourself an expert in? It can be a hobby, job or passion! People would turn to you for your knowledge on...

For me, it would be makeup. I wouldn't say I was an expert at Golden Age Hollywood history, but I DEVOUR books on the subject and biographies on the stars... and just within the past year have developed a small passion for burlesque performers and history & pinups. Amazing!! oh, and I am somewhat ashamed to admit my vast knowledge of tabloid gossip :rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm kind of well-recognized as an authority on the early history of broadcasting in the US, which explains the wall full of books and room full of recordings I've accumulated on that topic. That bleeds over into a fairly detailed knowledge of 1930s-era popular culture.

I also am told that I'm very very good at making macaroni and cheese.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not really an expert on anything. I do know an awful lot about PEZ, never really comes in handy. Oh, and I know a lot about teeth:D not an expert yet, but that should happen after a few years of working as a dental hygienist. I guess I'm not really an authority on anything vintage related. There is so much to learn about so many different topics in regards to vintage. I can't imagine ever learning enough about all of them to be considered an expert, and I like so many that I couldn't just pick one of them to focus on. So I'll settle for knowing a few things about the different topics. Of course, this is a great place to learn.

carebear

I hate to claim "expertise" since there's always someone better out there...

My solid subjects? mortgage lending / real estate, history (military in particular), modern combat shooting and firearms in general, a pile of Infantry and Recon related skills, general construction and remodeling including several trades, editing/proofing other people's writing. I'm a generalist.

I'm known among my friends and coworkers as broadly knowledgeable and widely read. Which is about all I could ask for.

Dixon Cannon

First and foremost...

Politcal Economy. Modern government education is so poor that many, many people have such a poor understanding of our political and our economic system I find myself giving lessons in Politcal Economy at every turn. I find otherwise educated adults who ask me to explain the difference between Communism and Nazism, between Socialsim and Capitalism and between a Democracy and a Republic. What is the Federal Reserve and what is hard money v/s fiat currency? It's a broad subject and one entirely neglected by our education system.

I first started study in this field back in 1979 with Robert Ringer's book, "Restoring the America Dream", and it's become a lifelong educational process. I'm a subscriber to The Foundation for Economic Education and the Future of Freedom Foundation as well as other Libertarian and Free Market organizations.

I'm also rooted in Aviation, photography, model building and I maintain blogs on two distinctive aircraft - The Thunder Mustang and the Douglas DC-4E.

Last, but not least, I love those Golden Era styles and my Fedoras!

-dixon cannon

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
Politcal Economy. Modern government education is so poor that many, many people have such a poor understanding of our political and our economic system I find myself giving lessons in Politcal Economy at every turn. I find otherwise educated adults who ask me to explain the difference between Communism and Nazism, between Socialsim and Capitalism and between a Democracy and a Republic. What is the Federal Reserve and what is hard money v/s fiat currency? It's a broad subject and one entirely neglected by our education system.

-dixon cannon

Ours too, I find it amazing to know so little about these things and yet know more than most.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't think I'm an expert at anything- yet. But I guess the closest I come to knowing a lot is in Costume History and sewing.

Tony in Tarzana

I can usually figure out anything mechanical fairly quickly, and I can learn most kinds of computer software if I'm given a chance to mess around with it.

The manual rarely makes much sense at first, but if I play with it a while and then go back to the manual, it becomes a lot easier to understand.

funneman

Practically Family
Well, I'm told by Mrs. Funneman (or as I like to call her "Buzzkill") that I'm way to humble about things, but I must admit I'm pretty darm good at creating radio commercials.

The kids think I'm a pretty good cook. I CAN take a bottle of Pasta Sauce and a bag of frozen veggies and make a pretty mean Minestrone that will feed six.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Hmmm...I'm not sure about "expert" but, in terms of vintage, I suppose I'd have to claim an affinity for formal wear and etiquette. They've been my obsessions since I was in my early teens.

One of my academic specializations (secondary, not primary) is the history of English profanity. I like to mention that one and see the responses!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Renaisance man.

I am of the mind that we can learn anything we truly desire to learn, or figure out how to do whatever interests us. So having been fascinated with art from a very early age, I focused on art in all it's forms. That encompasses a lot of subjects really. I think life is all about learning, so life in general is pretty interesting.
I can't do math to save my life though! :eusa_doh:

Steve

Practically Family
I would hardly call myself an "expert" on many subjects. I make a study of the unknown: cryptids,religious relics, with a heavy emphasis on a few certain ones; so I could say that I'm pretty informed there. Other than that, I write fairly well when I put my mind to it, rattle off the idiosyncracies of various martial arts forms, take good (I think so at least,) photographs, and do some voice impersonations.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
I can't do math to save my life though! :eusa_doh:
*Extends hand*

Comrade! :D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Just like me? Only more so,...

Steve said:
I would hardly call myself an "expert" on many subjects. I make a study of the unknown: cryptids,religious relics, with a heavy emphasis on a few certain ones; so I could say that I'm pretty informed there. Other than that, I write fairly well when I put my mind to it, rattle off the idiosyncracies of various martial arts forms, take good (I think so at least,) photographs, and do some voice impersonations.

*Extends hand*

Comrade! :D

Salute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot