Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
'40s wool Sportclad
DSC02043.jpg
DSC02134 (1).jpg

Yeah, I’ve looking for one for some time now. I think Schott made one once upon a time.

Hercules, Beck, Schott, Oakbrook, some others out there. I’m always looking too. Found a Herc D pocket (one of the early versions; can’t recall now) but it had some significant repairs and was small for me. Obviously the Oakbrook that I snatched. I’ve come close to buying some RL CRs on eBay but sizing. Cool jackets.

Motocann

One Too Many
Hercules, Beck, Schott, Oakbrook, some others out there. I’m always looking too. Found a Herc D pocket (one of the early versions; can’t recall now) but it had some significant repairs and was small for me. Obviously the Oakbrook that I snatched. I’ve come close to buying some RL CRs on eBay but sizing. Cool jackets.
Thanks. The only two I’ve ever seen was the Schott version and this RRL. I’m not even sure the Schott version was sold in the USA.

Schott (top)

I just realized Straight to Hell makes a really nice twill asymmetrical zip jacket too. (Bottom) at $155.00… it looks nicer than the RRL.
IMG_3216.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. The only two I’ve ever seen was the Schott version and this RRL. I’m not even sure the Schott version was sold in the USA.

Schott (top)

I just realized Straight to Hell makes a really nice twill asymmetrical zip jacket too. (Bottom) at $155.00… it looks nicer than the RRL.
View attachment 583598 View attachment 583599

I did see a Lancer satin twill jacket too. Meh, not as nice.

Another option are the nylon police jackets. Can be had for $50 bucks with mouton collar. Mostly Chicago or NY style cop jackets. Older and modern jackets/makers.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Terry, that's one of the best I've seen.

@jeo I meant to add that I spoke to John Chapman about these Beck-Schott Perfectos a couple of weeks ago (because he has one for sale) and he said he was really impressed by the way the jackets are constructed. I found it interesting that he thought it was ambiguous whether the jackets were horse or steer; I had assumed they were all steer by that point.

By the way, if you want a mouton collar for one, those that Schott currently makes fit perfectly. (I'd order from the repairs department if you want real mouton instead of faux.) Just order one for the size that corresponds to the PTP of your jacket, so my 42 (22 PTP) could fit a collar designed for a size 40 618 (although the collar from my modern size 42 613SH fit as well.)

I love the jacket but I daresay the look would come together perfectly if your shirttails weren't sticking out.

jeo

One Too Many
@jeo I meant to add that I spoke to John Chapman about these Beck-Schott Perfectos a couple of weeks ago (because he has one for sale) and he said he was really impressed by the way the jackets are constructed. I found it interesting that he thought it was ambiguous whether the jackets were horse or steer; I had assumed they were all steer by that point.

Yes that it interesting. To me there’s zero ambiguity. All the catalog pages I’ve seen from the late 50’s do not specify leather type. To me that’s a clear indication of steer. They also just look and feel like steer. I have a jacket on order with him, I’ll talk to him about it.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes that it interesting. To me there’s zero ambiguity. All the catalog pages I’ve seen from the late 50’s do not specify leather type. To me that’s a clear indication of steer. They also just look and feel like steer. I have a jacket on order with him, I’ll talk to him about it.

To clarify, he wrote he thinks it's most likely cowhide but can't say for sure since there isn't a specific label to indicate either. Makes sense that he'd be cautious in declaring one way given how in A-2 world people were refusing to believe that there were cowhide A-2s until Gary Eastman ran DNA tests.

jeo

One Too Many
To clarify, he wrote he thinks it's most likely cowhide but can't say for sure since there isn't a specific label to indicate either. Makes sense that he'd be cautious in declaring one way given how in A-2 world people were refusing to believe that there were cowhide A-2s until Gary Eastman ran DNA tests.
I’m in a business where I have to watch what I say… I get it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred