Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kinda crush do you have on your 50 mission cap..?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
THE 50 mission crusher is one of the most enduring images of the WWII airman. Just interested to see how other folk out there like to wear their favourite 50 mission crusher cap (original or repro), and how did you get it to look like that..?

This one is English felt so easy to crush down. Dampened it down with spray and a little kettle steam and moulded it to my head (any ex military out there with a penchant for head berries will know how it's done to look sharp). Front eagle is pressed down against the head.
CrusherPaddy.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
??? colour...

Think it should be B&W or sepia BT? Looks fine to me, just taken with the digi camera and uploaded. I haven't touched the colour.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nothing against it at all Paddy, it just looks vintage- like a hand tint.
Looks like it's been Photoshopped a bit to that end. The greens especially.

'50 mission' implies an excessive/extensive tour of duty and much associated wear and tear.
Kinda like what the '1000 yard stare' is to a man.

The crusher was either a purpose built soft version(with a soft visor) of the visor cap or a standard one with the stiffener removed and squashed a bit. A crusher cap was easily stowed/rolled/pocketed due to the soft bill and also easier to wear with a headset.

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Do I have a crush on my hat?

Well, not like I do for Monica Belucci or maybe Nigella Lawson, but gee, I guess my hat's pretty swell too nowcha menchun it. :)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Crusher

I just picked up a nice EM cap on eBay for £22.00. When it arrives I guess I will have to decide whether to turn it into an officer's model and whether to 'crush' it.

Alan Eardley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy